This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The National Pandemic Preparedness Blog Summit

Thank you Jonathan for all of the years of service to the education and preparation issues regarding pandemic influenza.

"...With the exception of Richard Mitchell I know every one of the posters before me from their writings and this is a problem. They are not the public we need to reach, I would lay good money all of them could take the podium and lecture for several hours giving a full background on pandemics through history, 20th century flu pandemics, the flu viruses structure & genetics, H5N1 mutation history, vaccine production, antivirals & resistance and clinical symptoms without needing to look at a note."

Yes - I feel the same way. Most of the posters are the most educated persons today in all aspects of pandemic influenza.

A news release by the HHS to some of the regular news channels would increase interest by others.

A service often used by the CDC is Medical News Today.

Medical news and health news headlines posted throughout the day, every day

Comment

Originally posted by InKy
      I think that pandemicflu.gov, the HHS blog, and our flu forums are all "if we build it, they will come" enterprises. The HHS blog is an excellent demonstration of the limitations of that approach. Yes, people have come, and there is a vibrant but small panflu-aware community, but those of us who have discovered and joined that community are a small subset of the population. The challenge is to convey the message to the rest of the world. It's our challenge and the federal government's.
      The problem is that the federal government has yet to firmly decided what is the message that they want to send to the masses. The lack of a coherent government message is clearly evident in the posts from the blogs by the government representatives. Unless the federal government seriously considers the many thought provoking comments and develops a government-wide consensus message, it will up to FluTrackers and other forums and participants in flublogia to carry on the grass roots efforts and carry the pandemic message to the peoples of the world.
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shannon Says:
        A synergy of both top to bottom and bottom to top is apropos. The rationale for this approach is the message needs to be consistent and it needs to be correct. The feet on the street should be locals but the message needs to come from above. There is too much misinformation out there even from those who should know better. A case in point is what happened in Oregon last fall. Our state’s Director of Public Health was asked to give a presentation on H5N1 by the organization of city and county governments along with the Oregon Mayors. The Director sent a PR person who admitted to having no knowledge of bird flu. He repeatedly stated the officials needn’t worry about H5N1 and should concentrate on a real killer such as the West Nile virus. The officials left with the assurance no preparations or at best minimal preparations would be necessary for pandemic flu. If anything needed to be improved, it was mosquito abatement. If the message had been clearly presented during Secretary Levitt’s visit to Oregon medical personnel, it didn’t make it through the mental filters of our state’s health leaders.
        The example above isn’t unique to Oregon. Most states have made it a low priority for several reasons: lack of a clear threat, too many other immediate needs, lack of funding, and the intangible feeling that the problems we face with the virus are too enormous for any one organization to fix. We are overwhelmed and our feeling of malaise turns to helplessness . The idea of a pandemic flu is too horrible to contemplate so we decide it can’t happen.
        So what should be done? First, the message needs to be clear, concise and correct, and it needs to come from the top down without deviation. A statement should be issued by the White House clearly stating that should a pandemic start Americans can expect to be quarantined at home for a minimum of 6 weeks. This would alert the populace to the seriousness of the threat and make preparing a much higher priority. Because of the seriousness of the threat, the President then declares this the Year of the Flu. Now we have to follow through with the specifics and this needs to include all segments of society.
        A multi-pronged PR approach would garner the largest response. One prong would be geared for the public in general; the second would be focused on business; the third on officials in the public sector; and finally, the medical sector. Subsets would include institutions such as public and private schools, both the criminal and mental incarcerated, those living in assisted living facilities, hospices, etc. and those too poor to prepare.
        Idaho’s model and the Year of the Flu are good examples of preparing the public. Government working in tandem with local individuals or local churches and organizations would be responsible for getting the message out to neighborhoods. Brochures should be handed out with lists of what to buy, how to care for the sick, simple recipes using bulk foods, etc. Businesses should be encouraged to participate. Grocery stores could have a coupon day for bulk foods or sporting goods store have demos on how to cook food using cast iron Dutch ovens. The possibilities are myriad.
        Business should be brought up to speed. Most are going to be skeptical that interruptions will be inevitable. The need for open dialogue between government and business is imperative. Solutions may come from unexpected sources if all are encouraged to participate. A dialog started before pandemic between suppliers, transportation and business would lessen the impact later after the virus arrives.
        Local and state governments need to be made aware of what their responsibilities will be, what the chain of command will be, and thus the time needed to prepare for backlogs in services. During a disaster, they will be on the front lines not the federal government. Local government needs to be made aware of the likelihood of interruptions and resulting failure of services.
        Lastly, as they are probably already the most aware, the medical sector should be instructed in what can and should be done. Again, focusing on open communication between city leaders and the local hospitals prior to pandemic is key to lessening the impact.
        <small class="commentmetadata">Posted June 12th, 2007 at 3:28 pm

</small>
        Last edited by sharon sanders; June 12, 2007, 10:06 PM. Reason: added link
        Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
        Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

Thornton / M.D. Says: [Your comment is awaiting moderation.]

Admiral Agwunobi,
          Let me suggest that as we consider stockpiling supplies, that we give greater consideration to stockpiling relationships and problem solving strategies.

The HHS as lead agency for the Federal Government can push harder for one of the largest employers in the country (the US Government ) to actively engage its local communities. The pandemicflu.gov web site is fantastic, but even more powerful would be for the local Veterans Hospital or Social Security Agency or even the regional IRS site to a lead when necessary to mobilize the local community in dual use strategy for pandemic preparedness. How many federal employees are medical reserve corps volunteers?

For my part as a strictly local but an informed health provider, I promise to more aggressively pursue the teachable moment. In addition to my family preparedness with a dual use strategy, I will comment on local TB cases, measles, chickenpox, seasonal influenza and draw analogies on how preparedness for any communicable public health threat will strengthen us when we have to engage a pandemic. I will also challenge health officials at all levels to engage the public as partners and not as threats. Better to deal with some discomfort and anxiety now rather than a lack of trust and chaos later.

I commend Secretary Leavitt on his tireless action to inform the US and the world on the threat of a pandemic and the plan to combat it. Admiral Agwunobi, you have many who have answered the call. Please, push the federal agencies and federal employees to join us at the local level for a dual use strategy to improve the public’s health and protect the world’s future. And yes, stockpiling will be one part of the strategy. The harder part will be sharing the stockpiles.

Last edited by sharon sanders; June 12, 2007, 09:46 PM. Reason: added link
          Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

The Agenda

7:30 - 8:45 a.m.
            Welcome by Harold Shapiro, PhD, President Emeritus, Princeton University
            Speaker: The Honorable Michael O. Leavitt, Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

8:45 - 9:30 a.m.
            When Pandemic Influenza Occurs:Setting the Stage for Individual Preparedness
            Speaker: Rajeev Venkayya, MD, Special Assistant to the President for Biodefense
            Homeland Security Council

9:30 - 10:15 a.m.
            Pandemic Influenza Preparedness
            Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH, Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

10:30 - 11:15 a.m.
            A Vision for a Preparedness Movement
            Speaker: Stephanie A. Marshall, Director of Pandemic Communications, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
            Panel Discussion
            Moderated by Harold Shapiro, PhD, President Emeritus, Princeton University
            Speakers: Russell M. Nelson, MD, PhD, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Dennis Roche, FedEx; Greg Dworkin, MD, Flu Wiki & Flu Wiki Forum; Joseph Bocchini, MD, American Academy of Pediatrics; Susan Crosson-Knutson, The International Association of Lions Clubs

12:30 - 3:00 p.m.
            Facilitated Sector-Specific Breakout Sessions

3:15 - 4:00 p.m.
            Full Group Report-Out Session

4:00 - 4:15 p.m.
            Thank You and Closing
            Speaker: John O. Agwunobi, MD, Assistant Secretary for Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
            The detailed agenda can be accessed here.
            Posted June 13, 2007 at 8:36 am in Leadership Forum

Comment

I went to bed last night frustrated and agitated. After reading the article about faith-based leaders being advised to alert their parishioners about preparing for a possible pandemic, I was reminded of Exodus. Jews were told to mark their doors so the angel of death would pass over them and instead reap the souls of the Egyptian firstborn sons. My mind was struggling with the idea of pity the poor agnostics, as well as those belonging to churches not seen as important enough to save. It isn't enough to tell a chosen few. We are all citizens and we should all have the same opportunity to be among those with the tools to survive. I could easily accept an additional message specifically targeted at churches, but I don't see the message happening anywhere else. And we as flubie bloggers cannot accept the burden of being the clarion call to action. I feel like a hermit living alone in the wilderness who sees the danger and is ignored by the people she is trying to save. We are called crackbrains and scare-mongerers. While attempting to get our neighborhoods to band together we are told, 'I don't need to prepare, if anything happens I will go to your house because I know you have food'! I hear repeatedly that if there was anything to worry about the government would tell us or, we would hear it on the news. Well the government isn't getting the message out to any but a select few. And, the media is too busy with other more immediate stories.

The virus isn't going away, pandemics occur regularly, and there is no vaccine available for everyone. H5N1 could very well be the next pandemic killer. We, all of us, need to be made aware of the very real threat and all the repercussions that a pandemic would bring. Hiding under the covers because the horrors of a virus run amok is an untenable position. It's getting pretty lonely in the wilderness, and I am getting hoarse. I, we, need a bigger voice. A voice that leads us out of the wilderness and into the homes of every American. A voice that can also be heard in other nations. We flu bloggers are more than willing to share what we have learned, we only need a catalyst. We need a leader and we need one now.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
              Thank you,
              Shannon Bennett

Comment

I am with Shannon.

The lack of traction is largely due to the public not seeing this as a real danger that they - as opposed to the government - need to do something about. I know the swine flu scare of 1977 is often seen as disaster, due to some adverse reaction to the vaccine and the fact a pandemic never came, but strong CDC leadership and the President having flu shots for the press was an unambiguous message that this should be taken seriously. Whether the pandemic failed to materialise for its own reasons or because of the vaccination campaign we will never know but there was a clear message from the top that the public could understand which we are not getting now.

Comment

I read an awful lot of complaints regarding 'the media' not doing this and not doing that about the looming pandemic. Why wait for 'the media'...or 'the goverment'?
                  Radio and TV stations have been doing Public Service Announcements for quite a number of years now..
                  These young people in NYC are pushing for more awareness regarding the AIDS pandemic through Public Service Announcements, Can concerned older folks in flu forums follow their example, make up their own PSA, and get their ball rolling too?..

NYC High School Students Get Put to the Challenge
                  NetAid and Cable Positive launch competition for students to produce public service announcements highlighting solutions to the AIDS crisis
                  NEW YORK, NY — November 27, 2006

NetAid, the nonprofit that empowers young people to fight global poverty and Cable Positive, the cable and telecommunication industry’s AIDS action organization, announced today that they have joined forces to launch a public service announcement (PSA) competition on World AIDS Day, December 1, 2006, for all New York City public high schools students. The competition will challenge young New Yorkers to engage in critical dialogue about how their generation is being affected by HIV/AIDS on a local level and make connections to the global pandemic.

With the support from the New York Community Trust and the Council of Fashion Designers of America, the challenge is being launched at a time when young people are demonstrating they can play a critical role in responding to the epidemic. Of the 40 million people around the world living with HIV/AIDS, 95 percent live in the developing world; and according to the New York City Department of Health, New York City remains the epicenter of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the U.S. UN reports on HIV/AIDS have found that where HIV transmission was reduced, the greatest reductions often occurred among young people.

“Whether it is happening in their own backyards or halfway across the globe, young people are beginning to make the connection between the devastating impact AIDS has up close and personal to the impact it has on entire countries worldwide,” explained Dr. Kimberly Hamilton, president of NetAid. “We are prompting students to find common solutions that address the shared issues that exist locally and around the globe and allow the virus to wreak havoc,” Dr. Hamilton stated.

On World AIDS Day, NetAid will open registration, providing students with educational materials about global HIV/AIDS and training around communication and messaging techniques (visit www.netaid.org for details). Teams of one to ten students will then have six weeks to explore the issue of HIV/AIDS in both a local and global context, discover solutions for addressing the problems, and express them creatively and powerfully in a short video, and upload it to a designated YouTube site that will be provided to students when they register for the competition.

After reviewing videos online, a panel of expert judges from the public health, media, culture, and education fields will select a winning team. The team will spend a day with Cable Positive, and learn techniques of shooting, directing and film production to transform their video into a professional PSA. The final PSA will be aired on both NetAid and Cable Positive’s websites, with pending plans for a television airing on June 27th, National HIV Testing Day.

“Television broadcast is arguably the most compelling means of communication. By leveraging this with digital media, we can unleash the potential of young people to be catalysts of change by educating one another,” commented Thomas Henning, vice president of programs and services at Cable Positive.

Since 1992, Cable Positive has used PSA’s as a tool to communicate education and prevention messages around HIV/AIDS. The most recent series of award-winning PSA’s featured celebrities such as Naomi Watts, Calvin Klein, Tony Kushner, Bernard Hopkins, Rosie Perez, Eric McCormack, and Wilmer Valderama.

NetAid will build upon the work of its network of students, who are already engaged in awareness-raising activities around global issues in their schools and communities, to mobilize their peers. Last World AIDS Day, NetAid high school student leaders reached over 150,000 of their peers nationally with AIDS-awareness messages. “We want to turn the brilliant ideas of these students into an effective PSA to help meet the pressing need to educate young people in New York City for informed and responsible action in the fight against HIV/AIDS,” Len McNally, title of New Your Community Trust, concluded.

About NetAid

NetAid works nationally to educate, inspire, and empower young people to take action against global poverty throughout their lives. Using technological innovation, peer-to-peer education, and leadership training, NetAid provides the knowledge, perspectives, and skills to create new generations of informed global leaders. NetAid is an independent non-profit organization based in New York City.

ABOUT CABLE POSITIVE

Cable Positive is a national non-profit organization founded February 1992 by three concerned cable executives with the mission of organizing cable’s resources in the fight against AIDS. Cable Positive will mobilize the talents, resources, access and influence of the cable and telecommunications industry to raise HIV/AIDS awareness; support HIV/AIDS education, prevention and care; and strive to end stigma by creating a more compassionate climate for people whose lives have been affected by HIV or AIDS. Cable Positive has grown to include supporters from every major cable network, multiple system operator, cable system, hardware manufacturer, trade association, media publication, and affiliated industry vendors and suppliers. Since 1992, Cable Positive has raised more than $16 million in the fight against AIDS. For more information about Cable Positive, call 212.459.1502 or www.cablepositive.org

http://www.cablepositive.org/news/11-27-06.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public service announcement
                  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A public service announcement (PSA) or community service announcement (CSA) is a non-commercial advertisement typically on radio or television, ostensibly broadcast for the public good.

The main concept is to modify public attitudes by raising awareness about specific issues.

The most common topics of PSAs are health and safety, although any message considered to be "helpful" to the public can be a PSA. A typical PSA will be part of a public awareness campaign to inform or educate the public against smoking or compulsive gambling. Often, a celebrity may promote a foundation and ask for support from viewers or listeners, an example being Michael J. Fox's PSAs in the U.S. supporting research into Parkinson's Disease, or featuring "scaring straight" Crips street gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams from prison, urging the young not to join gangs. Some religious groups produce PSAs about non-religious themes such as family values as a means of increasing awareness of their church, and to show the role the church has in serving the community. Examples include a long-running campaign from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and more recently the United Methodist Church. Also, the military produces PSAs to recruit enlistees, alongside paid advertising and sponsorship efforts.

In the U.S, the role of PSAs was affected by deregulation of the broadcasting industry in the 1980's. Previously, a broadcast license was assigned to a television or radio station that was expected to serve as a "public trustee" by airing, among other requirements, frequent PSAs. Continued licensure no longer depends strictly on programming content, and the number of PSAs that are deliberately scheduled has declined, yet new PSAs continue to be produced and aired.

Today TV or radio stations typically use PSAs as a way to fill unsold commercial time, or to demonstrate their commitment to a particular cause. Some non-profit organizations such as the American Cancer Society and Red Cross choose to ensure usage by purchasing commercial airtime. Smaller organizations like the American Indian College Fund rely solely on donated media space to get their message out.

The Ad Council, while the largest producer of PSAs in the United States, requires substantial funding from the organizations that qualify for their work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_...e_announcement

Comment

I think public service announcements are a great way to get messages out in front of the public. However, they can't take place in a vacuum and they need funding. Who is going to pay for the studio, cameraman, and the film or tapes that need to be distributed to radio and tv stations? And even more critical is who would air such a PSA? We have established there is no perceived threat. Without a voice loud enough to be heard and listened to as an authority we wouldn't be given any air time. We need a leader, someone who is viewed as an expert in conjunction with the backing of the government to step forward. We do need public announcements. I'd like to challenge those in authority to do just that.

Thank you,
                    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Wrapping Up

Closing out a remarkable day of what some will count as revealing (for others, reinforcing) insights, Dr. John O. Agwunobi, Assistant Secretary for Health of HHS, offers his sincere gratitude to all those who joined us for this event.
                      ?I want to take a few moments to bring this to some sort of natural closure, but also want youto know it does not end today. I am a pediatrician, but I am also a student. I have learned a lot just like you, traveling with the Secretary to 50 states and local communities, on the [Pandemic Flu Leadership Blog]. . . and I learn something new every day about pandemic preparedness.
                      . . .
                      We brought you here today because of the obvious truth ? sometimes, government doesn?t have all the answers. It really doesn?t matter what the plan says or who articulates what the plan is if we haven?t spent a lot of time figuring out who we?re speaking to.
                      We have many communities with different needs and perspectives. You all, like me, watched Katrina unfold, and it shot so many of us into awareness. There are many lessons we are still learning ? it?s not over for many who still live [in New Orleans].
                      [Preparedness] is not the same for everyone. You have to tailor your message to the audience.
                      We?re going to take what we?ve watched and seen and heard today back and integrate it into our planning. And we?ll be reaching out to you again about reaching out to specific populations, about communicating the message. . .
                      I challenge you to take doday?s discussion and engage others in similar dialogue. I hope you picked up on unique perpectives that you didn?t quite know before you came here today, and take those back to the communities you lead, and help this dialogue spread ? not just at this level of government ? but at every level of government and communities.
                      We recognize that it doesn?t matter what we say if no one is listening. The true test will be, when the bell rings, how many peope have prepared ahead of time. It will be too late if, when the bell rings, we stand up and try to lead a nation that is unprepared.?
                      As a noteworthy end to the Pandemic Flu Leadership Forum, Dr. Agwunobi invited others to make closing remarks. (?My handlers are shaking their heads and telling me not to do this ? but I?m gonna do it!?) He encouraged Dr. Greg Dworkin of Flu Wiki to share his thoughts. The two have recently become acquainted as contributors on the HHS blog.
                      ? our blog community will appreciate this -
                      Dr. Dworkin: One of the things we?ve learned today, over the past three weeks, and will continue to learn, is that there are a lot of potential recruits for this effort. . . A lot of people who are already engaged and feel strongly about this want to help.?
                      Dr. Agwunobi: I didn?t realize until I became an avid reader of the HHS blog that there is an army of people who are already preparing and want to help further this goal of preparedness. (I also learned you have to be completely open and honest and forthcoming in that world or they won?t treat you very nicely!)
                      Posted June 13, 2007 at 4:50 pm in Leadership Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon View Post
                        I think public service announcements are a great way to get messages out in front of the public. .. Who is going to pay for the studio, cameraman, and the film or tapes that need to be distributed to radio and tv stations? .... We do need public announcements. I'd like to challenge those in authority to do just that.
                        This is a good place to start to look for funding:

The Council on Foundations

Philanthropy's Response to the Avian Flu Pandemic Threat

In early 2006, the Council convened a strategic planning symposium, "Avian Flu and Philanthropy's Response," to discuss the philanthropic sector's leadership role in preparing our communities for the possibility of an avian flu pandemic.

Grantmakers In Health and top medical experts outlined the threat of this illness. There is a huge gap in our public health preparedness for this - or other - widespread infectious diseases. The grantmakers who gathered for the symposium identified a number of activities in which the foundation community can play a valuable leadership role in concert with public officials and community organizations.

Executive Summary [pdf]
                        Discussion/Action Guide [pdf]
                        Attendance List [pdf]
                        Resource List [pdf]
                        Sample agenda for a regional or local meeting [pdf]
                        For more information about this initiative, contact the Emerging Issues Staff.

http://www.cof.org/Action/content.cf...temNumber=4674

FluTrackers.com is a non-profit, non-partisan educational public charity exempt from taxation under the Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. All gifts are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.

If someone from Flutrackers contacts them, they may be able to advise the charity on what to do next.

Comment

Jonesie, a very interesting read. It calls for philanthropic organizations to provide funding for a host of things, public service announcements being only one. The National Pandemic Preparedness Council sees a real need for informing the public sector, especially the disenfranchised, of the looming threat of pandemic flu. It doesn't offer any funding itself only asks others to come forward and do so. Still, it is a jumping off point.

Thank you,
                          Shannon Bennett

Comment

reopen the fluwiki-subforum, allow threads running on both boards,

heck, copy the whole fluwiki forum to a subforum here
                            and include it in the FT- search-function.
                            (searching is bad at FW)

Give up on censorship/banning.
                            I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                            my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

A united nations of flublogs maybe. Each has its distinctive identity and history, all have a core set of common values and mission. Collaborative action group.
                              Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

OK. But, please remember that the internet is a meritocracy where the best ideas rise to the top. In my opinion, there is a danger that agreeing on a message, and a course of action could also homogenize the forums and result in a loss of their piquant flavor and unique ambiance of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X