X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First swine flu death in Bahrain

FIRST SWINE FLU DEATH IN BAHRAIN

date: 30 08, 2009

MANAMA, AUGUST 30 (BNA) THE KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN TODAY RECORDED ITS FIRST SWINE FLU DEATH.

THE VICTIM IS A WOMAN IN HER THIRTIES FROM SOUTH- EAST ASIA. HEAD OF DEPARTMENT AT THE SALMANIYA MEDICAL COMPLEX (SMC) DR. MOHAMMED AMEEN AWADHI SAID THE WOMAN HAD RECENTLY VISITED THE EMERGENCY AND ACCIDENT DEPARTMENT AND COMPLAINED FROM H1N1 SYMPTOMS SUCH AS FEVER, SORE THROAT AND HEADACHE FOR WHICH SHE WAS IMMEDIATELY ADMITTED TO THE INTENSIVE CARE UNIT.

THE MEDICAL STAFF COULD NOT KNOW ABOUT THE WOMAN'S IDENTITY AS SHE REACHED THE SMC IN A CRITICAL HEALTH CONDITION AND WAS APPARENTLY SUFFERING FROM OTHER DISEASES, SO IT IS STILL UNKNOWN WHETHER SHE CONTRACTED THE VIRUS ABROAD OR IN BAHRAIN, HE EXPLAINED.

DESPITE THE DEPLOYMENT OF ALL THE ADVANCED SMC EQUIPMENT, THE WOMAN DID NOT RESPOND TO MEDICAL TREATMENT AND FINALLY PASSED AWAY, DR.AWADHI SAID. IT IS WORTH NOTING THAT THE KINGDOM OF BAHRAIN HAS REPORTED 200 SWINE FLU INFECTIONS, WITH MOST PATIENTS HAVE FULLY RECOVERED EXCEPT A FEW PEOPLE WHO ARE STILL RECEIVING MEDICAL TREATMENT.

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: First swine flu death in bahrain

Bahrain records 1st swine flu fatality

8/30/2009, 3:35 p.m. EDT

The Associated Press

(AP) ? MANAMA, Bahrain - A doctor says Bahrain has joined the growing list of countries with fatalities from swine flu.

Dr. Mohammed al-Awadi says a Southeast Asian woman in her 30s was admitted in critical condition several days ago. The woman died Sunday despite efforts by doctors to save her life. She is the first to die of the disease in Bahrain.

Al-Awadi, chief physician at a main Bahrain hospital, said doctors were unable to identify the woman or determine how she contracted the flu. She could not talk to them because of respiratory complications.

More than 200 people in Bahrain have been diagnosed with swine flu.

The start of Bahrain's school year has been delayed to allow schools to prepare for a possible large scale outbreak.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Re: First swine flu death in bahrain

Family's agony over flu victim

By MANDEEP SINGH and PATRICK SALOMON, Posted on ? Tuesday, September 01, 2009

THE first person to die in Bahrain of swine flu had been suffering from a lung condition for years, her heartbroken father revealed yesterday. Runaway Filipina housemaid Jane Tamad Diale, aged 30, might have been saved had she sought treatment earlier, said a top health official. Ms Diale, who died in Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC) on Sunday, was identified yesterday.

She was dropped at the SMC accident and emergency department last Wednesday by an unidentified friend, who then vanished.

Ms Diale was extremely ill and her identity was listed as "unknown" when she died.

News of her death was broken to her family back home by a cousin, who traced her to the SMC after being asked to look for her by her father.

The cousin, who would only identify herself as Fatima, visited her at the SMC and has since also tested positive for the H1N1 virus and is being treated at home.

Ms Diale's father Abdul Maguid Diale, told the GDN over the phone last night that the family was devastated.

He said they received photographs from her just a few days ago and she looked in good health, despite a long-term lung condition.

"She had been suffering from a lung condition for several years, so when we heard she was in hospital, we thought her condition had aggravated," he said, from his native village, Tibungco, in Southern Philippines' Davao City.

"In her latest photographs, she looked so beautiful, without a worry in the world.

"It was a beautiful smiling face, she looked so beautiful."

Mr Diale said the family was aware she had run away from her original sponsor and though she made regular contact, they did not have an address for her in Bahrain.

"We tried to get friends to meet her regularly, even though she kept speaking to us. We were worried she may become ill," he said.

"The last time she spoke to us was around 10 days ago, when she said her breathing was becoming laborious. That was very worrying."

Mr Diale said his daughter first went abroad in 1999, when she worked in Saudi Arabia.

"She worked there for three years, after which she went to Dubai after a short stint at home," he said.

"She started having lung problems when she was in Saudi Arabia and it aggravated in Dubai. When she was in Bahrain, her lung condition deteriorated."

The family is now waiting for her body to be sent home.

"What more can we do now?" said Mr Diale.

Ms Diale ran away from her Bahraini sponsor more than six months ago and had reportedly since been working as a causal housemaid.

Fatima said she last spoke to her over the phone, when she had just been admitted to the SMC, last Wednesday.

"She sounded very sick," said Fatima.

"I rushed to the SMC only to find her surrounded by doctors, who seemed to be very busy treating her. They did not allow me to talk to her."

She said she was later allowed to sit with her while she was on life-support in the intensive care unit, but she could no longer speak.

Fatima said she met Mr Diale during a visit home some months ago and he asked her to find his daughter, since they were worried about her, even though she called home regularly.

"He told me to help his daughter because he feared for her. He was very distressed," said Fatima.

"Once I got back to Bahrain, I became busy in work and did not try to call Jane.

"I had to go back to the Philippines again when my father passed away and again Jane's father implored me to see her.

"When I returned to Bahrain, I called her immediately and she answered in hospital. That is the last time I spoke to her.

"Jane had also apparently called her mother who then called me and said her daughter was very sick. I told her she was in hospital. Her mother told me to take care of her daughter."

Fatima said the family was devastated.

"They have been told their daughter is dead and are awaiting her body now. They are distraught," she said.

"I got the virus from the hospital but my condition was immediately detected. The doctors have told me to remain in isolation for a few days."

Jane's original sponsor, who asked not to be named, would not comment on her death, saying the case was with the police and Health Ministry.

"I would not like to say anything more," he said.

Health officials yesterday urged illegal residents who think they may have swine flu to seek help, saying they would be treated with no questions asked about their legal status.

SMC infection control head Dr Jameela Salman said swine flu should not be underestimated and any delay in treatment could prove to be fatal.

"Many people who are illegal residents or are free visa workers may have reservations about coming to the hospital for fear of being found out and jailed," she said.

"However, we urge them not to be careless. Swine flu is a killer if left untreated."

She said Ms Diale might have been saved had she sought help earlier.

"By the time she arrived, she was very sick," said Dr Salman.

"We were not aware of her legal status and we were not interested in knowing about it. We know she came as a patient and she was treated like anyone else. For us the main concern is to save lives."

A 50-year-old Bahraini woman with swine flu was yesterday said to be still critical, but stable, at the SMC.

"Her condition has neither improved nor deteriorated ever since she came to the hospital," said Dr Salman.

mandeep@gdn.com.bh

Comment

Working...
      X