Keeping our children safe and secure - Live broadcast Oct 17th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping our children safe and secure - Live broadcast Oct 17th

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="80" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="20">
    </td> <td background="images/world-map.gif" width="300">News-Medical.Net

</td> <td> </td> <td width="110"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> ? Home Page

<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td><table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="0%"> <tbody><tr> <td>
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> Keeping our children safe and secure: Pandemic flu and emergency preparedness

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="article-author"> Disease/Infection News</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="article-date">Published: Monday, 16-Oct-2006 </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="background: transparent url(aspvirtualnews/template_images/smalldot.gif) repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" height="25"> </td> </tr> <tr><td>Scientists predict that the world is due for an influenza pandemic - a global outbreak from a new strain of flu - that would have a dramatic impact on our nation's communities, schools, and families.

History tells us that flu pandemics are a reality: in the past century alone, three of them caused widespread loss of life and the wholesale disruption of societies small and large. A flu outbreak today similar to the one that occurred in 1918 could potentially kill millions and profoundly affect institutions such as our nation's school systems, which are teeming with children who are expected to have high rates of infection and are more likely than adults to spread the illness.
    Although it is difficult to predict when the next pandemic flu might occur or how severe it will be, one thing is certain: educators, parents and community leaders can take steps now to lessen the impact of such an outbreak. Schools can equip themselves to deal with possible school closings, staff and student absences, medical care for children, and the need to maintain the learning environment. Because schools are centers of community life, educators and administrators will need to work with state and local officials to make planning for pandemic flu a priority. And parents can ready their families by developing a family plan, storing food and water, and modeling good hygiene.
    The good news is, the U.S. Department of Education, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other federal agencies are collaborating with state and local governments to assist districts in developing pandemic flu plans and to ensure that, in the case of an outbreak, our nation's children will be as safe and secure as possible. As part of an ever-growing conversation about pandemic flu, experts from across the federal government are spotlighting exemplary flu and emergency preparedness programs; answering questions about the different strains of flu and how they spread; updating an emerging body of resources for families and schools; and providing user-friendly tips for parents on ensuring the safety, health and security of children.
    The October 17th edition of Education News will explore questions such as:
    • What are the differences between pandemic, seasonal and bird flu? What is - H5N1 - and why are scientists paying so much attention to it?
    • What is known about the pandemic flu and the possibility of a future outbreak? How real is the threat?
    • What are state, local and federal agencies doing to prepare for the threat of pandemic flu?
    • How can families prepare now for the threat of a pandemic flu? What does a - family plan - look like, and how might it be helpful in the event of other emergencies, such as natural disasters?
    • What kinds of questions should parents ask their children's schools about their pandemic flu and emergency preparedness plans?
    • In the event of an outbreak, what measures would schools take, and how would families be notified? And if schools shut down, how can families ensure that their children keep learning?
    • Where can families go for updated and helpful resources on the pandemic flu?
    http://www.ed.gov
    </td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="background: transparent url(aspvirtualnews/template_images/smalldot.gif) repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" height="25"> http://www.news-medical.net/print_article.asp?id=20499</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Re: Keeping our children safe and secure

This link has information on where/how to watch the broadcast:

Broadcast Information Center
    Education News Parents Can Use

Show Details
    Keeping our Children Safe and Secure: Pandemic Flu and Emergency Preparedness - Tuesday, October 17, 2006
    Time: 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET (http://connectlive.com/events/ednews/)

Education News Parent Can Use is broadcast live or rebroadcast on ...

* Local Education, Government or Public Access Channels
    * The Learning Channel (TLC)
    * PBS
    * Dish Network
    * MHz Networks
    * BYU Television
    * Florida Education Channel
    * Channel One
    * Webcast
    * Request Education News
    * More Information
    "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: Keeping our children safe and secure - Live broadcast Oct 17th

Bump this

STARTS AT 8 PM EST - LIVE WEBCAST CAN BE VIEWED ON LINE HERE: http://connectlive.com/events/ednews/

If you miss it, the show can be viewed in the archive or via several TV options.
      "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Thank you Niko, you are a doll.
        Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
        Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

I'd give this a B+. The moderator appears to be a bit more worried about people not eating poultry than in asking all the right questions. The guests otoh, are engaged in getting the appropriate information out to listeners.

This should be passed on to parents if possible. If you can get them to listen, you will have a good chance of getting them to make some wise choices about prepping.
          Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
          Thank you,
          Shannon Bennett

Comment

I concur with Shannon B+ (maybe an A+ for the uninitiated parent or educator)

I called in to try to get a question on the air - was told they would try to get it in if I held - unfortunately I didn't get to ask my question & I missed some of the program as a result.

The question would have been regarding the length of time to prepare for in the case of school closings - in a video prepared by one school system, 2 weeks were mentioned for items to have on hand - I wanted to mention that I'd heard somewhere about pandemics moving in waves of 6 weeks and should that be the length of time parents should prepare for?

Overall, I thought it was a good program for the audience being addressed. I plan to talk to our school's principal and PTA president about it. Depending upon response, I'd like to order a copy of the program on video to be shown at a PTA meeting. Coming from the Fed. Dept of Education gives it legitimacy for school staff and parents. It seems like a good way to get the parents involved in putting a little pressure on our local and state ed. dept. who have yet to come up with a plan nor sent home any information for parents.

Comment

Working...
            X