• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diary of a Pandemic Neighborhood Watch

bump this again.

Comment

Originally posted by Niko View Post
      Thank you Florida1 for starting this thread.

This is my dilemma..
      I have wanted to start a dialog with my neighbors. A couple are casual "friends", some are acquaintances and many are complete strangers. I live in a typical middle class neighborhood with all races and ages represented. Newark is a small city centered around a mid-sized public University.

I would love to help my neighbors become aware of the possibly of a pandemic. My knowledge of the situation and huge amount of information complied over the last 1+ years equips me to be a valuable source for my community. Unfortunately I have had lukewarm to null response from various school district officials, PTA leadership, university professors from the ag dept., state health officials, emergency officials, et al in my community. I did manage to establish a relationship with a local new reporter and was interviewed for a H5N1 spread last year. Not much has been published since. I feel that our state/city/community is totally unprepared beyond having some plans on paper. Planning and information has not reached the citizenry. I might as well be living in Unfortunately Village, Indonesia!

After many frustrating months, I literally gave up the effort to raise awareness, help plan and enlist help. I became concerned for my family and decided to hunker down and keep my mouth shut. If others are unwilling to listen or to take the responsibility of educating themselves on the potential threat AND they know that I am prepped THEN while trying to protect my children by prepping, I'm also putting them at risk by attempting to help others.

I am willing to try again. Maybe the bottom up approach will work more effectively than going to leaders and "officials". As I said, I would love to help my community. Any suggestions and/or methodology that works would be appreciated.
      Sometimes the timing just isn't right. But there will be a window of opportunity as people begin seeing the news stories, as we are experiencing now - and before all hell breaks loose. I believe NOW is a time that will begin bearing fruit.

Comment

New Zealand
        Originally posted by Sally View Post
        Bird-flu fears bring people closer

The threat of a deadly flu pandemic is a key factor driving the largest increase in neighbourhood support groups seen in Christchurch.

About 170 new groups were set up last year, taking the total to over 1900 in Christchurch and Banks Peninsula.

Neighbourhood Support coordinator Patrick Creasey said the increase was partly due to concern about crime, civil defence emergencies, and bird flu.

"It's the biggest increase we've had ever."

Leaflet drops in neighbours' letterboxes following burglaries had also helped, he said.

Support groups remained scarce in low socio-economic suburbs and high-rental areas.

Hospitals, GPs and pharmacies are likely to be overwhelmed during a pandemic, leaving many to fend for themselves.

Creasey was now collating a central database listing contact details for two people in each neighbourhood support group so members could be mobilised during a flu pandemic.

Canterbury University associate history professor Geoffrey Rice said his research into the 1918 flu pandemic in New Zealand showed communities which organised themselves early had the lowest death rates.

Sick people, especially those who lived alone, could have their lives saved by their neighbours, he said.

"You can't be responsible for everybody in your street but you can get to know your neighbours on either side and the three opposite."

Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) chief medical officer Nigel Millar said neighbours should at least get each other's phone numbers.

The CDHB said a pandemic plan could consider:

Who could help with food and supplies if you and your household are sick?

Who could help with renewing prescription medicines before they run out?

The telephone numbers of people who live near you and your doctor's telephone number.

An emergency supply kit containing enough food and drink for a week, plus paracetamol or ibuprofen, masks, tissues and plastic bags for used tissues, and activities (such as games and books).

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
          New Zealand

Geoffrey Rice said his research into the 1918 pandemic in New Zealand showed communities which organized themselves early had the lowest death rates.
          "You can't be responsible for everybody on your street but you can get to know your neighbors and the three opposite."

Psychologically sound in that one can figure out I can be useful, I can have value, I can have some sense of control, maybe not over the entire catastrophic event, but here, in this little piece of community to which I belong. And each individual can determine what size that little piece is.

In the fast-paced, just-in-time society so many are accustomed to, there can be the expectation that all needs will be met, in the order we need them, in the time frame we need them. In catastrophic events, as evidenced in the US and abroad over the past few years, teachable moment after teachable moment has shown this simply is not possible.

Preparation is movement toward a goal, in this case, survival of oneself, one's family, one's community. Movement is energy which has been redirected, away from the fear and anxiety that necessarily comes with catastrophic events, towards solutions.

Most of those on this site have felt the frustration of having so much information that could help so many. And each have had to come to terms with how to deal with the frustration, the sadness, the anger, etc. when it has proven very difficult for some "ears to hear."

Spiritual survival almost dictates there comes a time then when each must sit back, sit still, and attempt to come to terms with "how am I truly going to come to terms with this crisis, with this pandemic?" For this, too, is pandemic preparation.

Comment

Working...
          X