This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diary of a Pandemic Neighborhood Watch

Can we bump this to the front. Much invaluable information- for those reaching out to communities. Thanks.

Comment

We have our Neighborhood Watch meeting finally scheduled for this month.

I have asked the Neighborhood Watch Captain to put me on the schedule for a talk about Neighborhood Safety and Pandemic Influenza.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida1
        We have our Neighborhood Watch meeting finally scheduled for this month.

I have asked the Neighborhood Watch Captain to put me on the schedule for a talk about Neighborhood Safety and Pandemic Influenza.
        Has your meeting taken place yet? I look forward to hearing your feedback.
        "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

If you are having a 'challenge' in your local neighborhood, then push out a bit and start with a local library who will let you use one of their rooms and it will most likely be for free. There is a bit larger population and it will be a better chance to get a few interested people there. That this good for morale as well as getting your local personal network going.

Also see if the local Lions Clubs and Rotary Clubs etc will give you some time to do a presentation. If you can get a few of them interested then there is a chance for more coverage. Always announce the meeting with as much PR as possible from eh local newspaper etc. Get some folks to do photos of you up there speaking with a digital camera and then offer to send the photos to the news paper and the local and regional (even national level) or the organization for their newsletters.

In my training course When So Many Die~ Congregational Education And Outreach Ministry In Medical & Pandemic Emergencies there is an extensive section on community outreach activities. Office policy, I can't post it here. Anyone interested can private mail me for more info.
          TM

Comment

We have not had the meeting yet. I am going for the "soft sell". I have asked for 15 minutes of time for a presentation on Neighborhood Emergency Planning and Response. I did not specifically dwell on the pandemic because we also have hurricanes and this organization will be great for any emergency.

I am going to use the 1918 CFR and related data for my talk. It is historical and sets the stage for later contacts. I am formulating my presentation now. If anyone has any suggestions please post here.

Also, I plan at the end of my presentation to ask for volunteers to lead the following committees:

Food acquisition
            Water and Ice acquisition
            First Aid
            Security
            Information/Communication

I will be stressing that everyone get the seasonal flu shot, understand "social distancing", obtain 3 months of total supplies, and is practiced in proper hand-washing.

This is the first contact with the neighbors. I am combining hurricane preparedness with pandemic preparedness because they are very familiar and "believe in" hurricanes.

I am going to follow up with a series of flyers. They will be available here at FT.

I am trying to be "light" at this first meeting so that I do not lose them, yet give them some quick "basics". For instance, I do not have a "morgue" committee. This is too drastic and not appropriate (and hopefully never needed) at this time.

Any comments are welcome!

Comment

F1 - Light will not "stir" them up into action.

CFR is 60% or so and 80% in Indo. 80% attacked under 29 years old.

There is no scientific proof those numbers will change.

These are the facts as they stand and should be told.

Comment

Originally posted by Goju
                F1 - Light will not "stir" them up into action.

CFR is 60% or so and 80% in Indo. 80% attacked under 29 years old.

There is no scientific proof those numbers will change.

These are the facts as they stand and should be told.
                This is an informational meeting to start them off with some practical tools. Of course I am going to mention the current CFR, but I am not going to dwell on it.

Comment

I have given numerous pandemic preparation presentations (several hundred and counting). I find the most audience attention occurs when I hit them between the eyes with the facts and information. Many in the pandemic preparation arena are being as gentle as possible with the subject so as not to alarm or scare the citizens. The message then that gets communicated internally is that this issue is not as serious as one is attempting to present it as. By giving the blunt cold hard lethal thanostic facts, very clearly and forcefully, in a take charge manner ( not hysterical bulling) , one not only gets their attention but holds it because of respect, and the serious nature of the information being presented.

We respect Dr. Webster and our own Dr. Niman for example because they tell it like it is. Would we all struggle thru Dr. Niman's volumes of sequences and read and re-read his commentaries if it was done in a soft glove, sorta - kinda- maybe - who kows approach? Certainly I don't think I would! They speak the truth, with conviction and the truth is firm and strongly detailed. This is life and death issues and the audience needs to hear the cold hard facts as strongly as possible. We have no time for soft gloves.

I am certainly not suggesting in any way that you would convey the information in an overly soft manner. For me as a woman, I feel that it is expected of me to say things in a nice sort of way and be as gentle as possible, especially when I know the people and live around them, that is the ahrdest sort of audiance to present to. Part of that expectation of how I should react is that I personally don't want rejection, I hate it when they want to kill me the messenger! I know I want to shy away from the reality that can and most likely will occur in a pandemic. I HATE what this pandemic potential is all about. I want to continue to live in a 21st century Mayberry township where a real crisis never occurs. 2006 and beyond will not have those types of realities unfortunately, no matter how much we want them. 30 second sound bites are not able to educate the audience. The 30 second sound bites are very easy, that is why politicians often like them, so do commercials. You can't get messy with the details and facts in 30 seconds! We as medical disaster awareness educators need to go way beyond the 30 second sound bites and get our hands dirty with the struggle of the audience and us who are called upon to deal with the grime, fear, hardship and anxious pain that are part of a pandemic preparation. When we communicate with depth of being and soul the issue, with truth and integrity, then we not only convey the information that we are presenting with our lips but we are also conveying much more with our hearts and lives that we REALLY do care about our community and those who are present in the audience. That caring really does change attitudes and hardness of resistance towards proposed actions.

What I am trying to express is that you are there not just as a neighbor discussing a cat in the tree but as a person with specialization in the field of pandemic preparation response and you are offering them your hard earned exceptional knowledge and authoritatively accurate information that they need to hear and to respond to for their own lives and be of support for the sake of those they love and are responsible for.

We as pandemic preparation response educations need to be very clear not only to others but to ourselves as well the realities of the the antepandemic ( pre-pandemic) realities and how we must constructively deal with pre-operational issues with purpose and intention. IF we do not have clearly defined purpose, intention and reality of the nature of this medical crisis, then in the future we will have failed at our mission in helping others realize the seriousness of this situation and how to personally and collectively prepare.

OK the revel rev is now - finally stepping down from her soap box!

TM

Comment

I found that chatting with my neighbors who have little kids about the need to teach them not to pick up feathers due to Bird Flu hit a real note of interest. It a small point bur seems to serve as a good entry point.

Comment

I usually try to understand the needs of my audience. I could be wrong, but what I present to a room full of strangers in an institutional setting is not necessarily what I will present to a room full of people that I have known for 16 years. I have seen many of the children born on my street. Together we went through 3 hurricanes in 2004. I have been to weddings, funerals, Boy Scout ceremonies, athletic games, picnics, city hall meetings, parades, and hospitals with, and for, these friends.

We have loved, cried, and laughed together.

For many this will be their first information on this subject. I will be candid and truthful about the current status of H5N1. I will discuss the CFR and implications. But I see this as an education process, not a "one shot deal". I have access to these people 24/7 and will follow-up this meeting with a series of other flyers and discussions.

This is not an "official" presentation or T.V. interview. This meeting will be in my best friend's house with people sitting 3 feet away from me. I know that they will believe what I tell them. I hope that my list of committees will start the discussion of an action plan.

Comment

FL1
                        With your knowledge of your audience and sincere and passionately dedicated need to help all those who will listen to your wealth of information I am very confident that you will serve these members of your community well. It takes a great deal of guts to go to those that know you well and share such information. In what ever manner you select I know it will be the best for that situation and the information will offer much help to many. My best wishes and heart support are with you. We are all supporting you and all who are willing to share their knowledge and information to others.
                        Terrie

Comment

Thanks Terrie for your input. This is very hard because I know them so well. I have a much easier task when I help someone else with a presentation or respond to an institutional need.

I think this is where the successful coping of the pandemic will occur, neighborhood by neighborhood. In our group we have every kind of talent and expertise available. We have health care workers, emergency care workers, business people, religious representatives, law enforcement, trades people, etc. My goal is organize this talent base into a fully functioning pandemic response team.

The next step is to form a coalition with another neighborhood group that is similarly organized so that we can share our resources.

Comment

Sounds like you really know your community well which is the first an most likely the best asset one can have. sEcondly you're gifted with so many talented people.

I think your passionate care will be a major contributor to many of the community you live in preparing in appropriate ways. Looking forward to your entries in this diary. Tis will be a great help to others who want to do such a community service. Keep up the great work!
                            TM

Comment

Goal #1 - get them all to begin prepping for real. That will keep you safer.

Comment

bump this.

Comment

Working...
                                X