ReadyMom STILL on the Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReadyMom STILL on the Road

The pandemic may have started, but that doesn't mean that RMA has stopped trying to promote preparedness.

Last Friday, I attended the annual conference for the Central PA United Methodist Church, where 200 packets of preparedness information was handed out and folks visited our display. Hopefully, the conference attendees that visited the display will take this information back to their churches and promote pandemic awareness and preparation.

Again, some good contacts were made for further panflu promotion through future events in the Central PA area.

Last week was the Methodist Conference. This week I have two events for Wyeth Pharmaceuticals. This is an 'in house' event for business continuity (ie: prepping Wyeth employees). They are having RMA attend THREE of their employee events: Collegeville, PA -- Greatville, PA -- and Cambridge Massachusetts. This week are the two Pennsylvania events. Yesterday, I attended the first of these.

I got the attention of these people. I can NOT believe how many people thought that Swine flu was OVER! And then there were others that had heard about the 2nd Pennsylvania death and that this fall may be harder. Problem is they really didn't know what 'harder' was. They did by the time I was done talking 8-) . I explained what was happening in Australia with increased school closure, how the health care system is getting overwhelmed and PPE items are scarce to nil ... to be expected here in the fall. Eyebrows raise. They start to understand.

Good tools to use:

--The red bar graph that I have on the 'Pandemic Watch: Central PA' (graphing the wave here in PA). I explain that this is what a 'first wave' looks like and that the should note that the wave has NOT peaked yet -- we are still seeing it move up, it isn't on the way down yet. THAT gets their attention and they realize there are lots of cases still occurring.
    --The WHO chart. Some people do NOT realize that we are IN A PANDEMIC. I make a point of telling them in those specific words.
    -- The leaked CDC Age chart. I explain that the middle longer bars are indicative of a pandemic occurrence. 'Seasonal Flu' affects the young and old. We are seeing the 'next' generation being the hardest hit, just like in 1918. Go on to explain how this virus seems to mirror the 1918 event. This is good, since we have our trifold right there with all the 1918 info (graphs, photos, etc).

People want to know: 'What do I need to do?' I tell them that they need to concentrate on the two end caps of our display: Food and Medical. Review the center of the display (Alt. cooking, electric, communications, etc.) and work on that as they can. I also make sure they understand that FEMA, ARC, etc. recommend 'minimum of two weeks' BUT, a pandemic wave lasts up to 12 weeks. Will they have enough food, if they stock 'two weeks minimum'?

People are grateful. NOT panicked. Grateful.

Next event: Tomorrow for Wyeth. Then another on Saturday. Saturday's event will be another 'Faith' event, for the United Church of Christ. I will be attending their annual Pennsylvania conference and have the ability to reach the coordinators for over 200 churches between the NY and Maryland borders, in Pennsylvania! The third Wyeth event is later, this month.

I have to say, that public education in SPECIFIC suggestions on how to prepare is crucial. These events are proving that people want to know what to DO. They want SPECIFIC instructions, not generalities. -k

Re: ReadyMom STILL on the Road

UPDATE:

Thursday was another GREAT Wyeth event. I got there ... they had 3 tables all ready for me. While I was there the phase 6 announcement was made. I found out from one of the folks passing by the display. When I mentioned that WHO would be calling it, they said "They just did. I heard it, this morning'. What a way to find out! And NO COMPUTER to RUN TO! LOL!

People are listening, NOW! They want a list! They want to know 'What do I do?'. The past two days have been the easiest to talk to people, because we are 'in' the panflu event. They aren't nodding and listening about a 'possible' event that seems so far away. Problem is window of prep time is so short now. I made sure that they understood that. Again, I told them that they need to concentrate on the two end cap areas: Emergency Pantry and PPE/Medical items. Told them to look over the middle section of the display, and work on that, as they can. But they are going to need pantry and medical the most.

I kept telling folks about Australia. That got their attention. I also told them that FEMA and ARC, etc. recommend an 'additional two weeks for all emergencies INCLUDING panflu. If a wave lasts 9-12 weeks, and they have 2 weeks, how are they going to feed their family the other 10 weeks. You should see the look on their faces!!

Again, yesterday was confirmation that the public NEEDS prepping education! They need 'a list'. They need instruction. and now .... they WANT it. BUT .... they only WANT it, AFTER they UNDERSTAND what a pandemic event REALLY MEANS in their life! Without that understanding, folks are not going to want to know what to do. -k

Comment

Last one, for a couple of weeks. Well, maybe the last one.

Today, (Saturday) I was at an annual conference for the United Church of Christ. I was invited to this event by someone who was at a presentation I gave back in February. Several people expressed interest in our going to their church to speak.

This one was great, as well. Dr. Greene, whom I collaborate with,in the Central PA area was also partnering with me in this event. Some of the folks who attended this conference were coordinators for roughly 20 churches. The churches attending this conference spanned Pennsylvania from the NY border, down to the Maryland border. Roughly 200 churches were represented. We didn't get to speak to everyone there. But quite a few.Hopefully, these coordinators will be taking the message back to their home church and begin to organize panflu education & preparedness.

We piggybacked our presentation. He gave the introduction on pandemic flu and the current swine flu pandemic situation(we were talking to small groups who came by our table every 20 min!) and then I continued with the home prepping info.

Again, I have to reiterate that people are in need of understanding the BASIC concept of what a pandemic is and what a pandemic means to them IN THEIR DAILY LIFE! Once they get that understanding, they want to know more. Again, and again we heard folks ask why they are not hearing more in the news.

We explained about the current situation in Australia and how this is an indicator on possible scenario for us in the fall. We explained the difference between a deadly Avian Flu and a highly transmittable Swine Flu creating large scale illness. They were told in no-uncertain terms, plain outright that they had a little over THREE MONTHS to get their homes prepared for a significant pandemic event, come this fall that will create disruption in their life from increased illness compared to the level of illness we are seeing now. We explained how in pandemics there are multiple waves and the second wave is historically a harder wave.

We explained that increased illness means disruption in their daily life and child's school schedule. It means possible interruption in their current shopping schedule whether it be their choice NOT to go out in public as much to steer clear of the virus or if their local grocer is cutting back hours due to illness,etc. It means needing extra food for that period of shopping disruption and having the kids home more than usual (a second 'summer break', so-to-speak, after just getting them back into school <b></b> ) . That's when people start to get the gist of what may be in store for them.

We filled them in on the ability of the flu virus to mutate. How this means we can anticipate one scenario and another may occur. It could mean increased illness, which naturally means increased death OR it could mean more lethality and again more death. Our audience was 'getting it'. Understanding was clicking in.

We explained the Australian situation w/ PPE items not being readily available, now. The need to procure those items NOW. Put them in a labeled tub and store under their beds. LOTS of people wanted to know WHERE to get masks. They are 'getting it'. They just need 'it' explained to them. This was verified by people coming up to us and saying that they have been hearing about the flu & a pandemic the past couple of days, but they didn't understand till now just what that meant.

Education is key. Education is key. Education is key ......

Again, gratitude. So many 'Thanks yous' today.

Comment

ReadyMom

What preserverance!

Comment

Another and for Readymom!

Thanks for the update.
          "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
          "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

ReadyMom's Summer

Thought I'd post an update on my community activities. The summer is flying by with family obligations and still fitting in public presentations.

After the Methodist event, I also participated in on that was on a state-scale with the United Church of Christ. That event was also positively received. Both Dr. Greene and I co-presented in this one. We we're participating in a 'manned station' type event. Where conference participants rotated through each station for a 20 min. demonstration or talk. Trying to get all the panflu introduction (Dr. G) and then home prepping (me) became an art. We ususally ran over the 20 min and each time we had a rapt audience. People were so attentive! Lots of questions.

Since then, I have also participated in a county-wide event, with Dr.G for Dauphin County, PA. This one was hosted by the Dauphin Co Emerg.Mgt. office and was held for the Superintendents & Principals for the all the public schools, colleges and the private Milton Hershey School-all located in Dauphin County.

There were about 46 at that meeting. The meeting was also a webinar for satellite campuses and was videoed for distribution on the web. I haven't seen a link up, yet.

This week I have a meeting scheduled with my own school district. I called to invite them to the Dauphin County meeting (a next-door county) and the result was being invited to our district panflu meeting. Dr. G cannot make that meeting, so I'll be on my own with our Asst. Superintendant, District Physician, and the directors of both the Student Health and Student Safety departments for our district's schools. I feel a little out of my league and confess nerves are approaching. I'm thrilled to be at the table for the meeting and hope to facilitate family education through our district in preparation for the fall.

Since HHS is recommending schools stay open as much as possible it's even more important to:

*educating families on the symptoms of flu because we'll see more ill kids, if schools are still open
            *keeping their SICK KIDS HOME,
            *get families educated in prearranging child care for possible closure,
            *having the necessary food & medical supplies on hand for when they are nursing their family back to health or if the schools DO close,
            *also having these supplies on hand so that they are NOT shopping in public as much when the virus is circulating in their community even if schools are open. (At this point any social distancing will be helpful, if we've got sick kids bringing the virus home).

I have a 'Pandemic Parenting' handout formatted. I'm hoping to be able to offer it to this group for use throughout the district. Wish me luck .... I need it for this event!! -k

Comment

Best to you!

Fantastic work!

Comment

Pennsylvania: CV School District

I will be participating in this community event for my school district:

CVSD to host community meetings about H1N1 virus

Is your family PANDEMIC PREPARED?

Cumberland Valley School District will host two community meetings to educate residents about the threat of the H1N1 Virus, and about healthy habits and preparations as they pertain to school and community settings.

The community meetings will be held at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 23, and Thursday, Oct. 22, in the Performing Arts Center at Cumberland Valley High School.

Guest speakers for the meetings include:
                -- Dr. Wallace Greene of Hershey Medical Center
                -- Mike Hurley, School Services Officer for the Cumberland County Department of Public Safety
                -- Karen Kirk, Community Outreach Coordinator with Readymoms

Both community meetings are free of charge and open to the public.

Visit www.cvschools.org/swineflu for more information as it becomes available.

Comment

I have uploaded two items to a document website. . . 'Pandemic Parenting' and 'Flu Buddy' . The links are below. The 'Flu Buddies' hand out has been developed with the kind permission of FlaMedic using material from his Flu Buddies blog at 'Avian Flu Diary'.

Pandemic Parenting
                  A guide for parents for preparing their family for a pandemic event. Items to consider include home pantry items, medical supplies, pre-arranged child care in the event of school closure, emergency signs to watch for in children.

Flu Buddy

I am finishing a new 'Pandemic Parenting' powerpoint that will correspond to the 'Pandemic Parenting' handout. That will be uploaded to that site, shortly. -k

Comment

Link to 'Pandemic Parenting' Powerpoint:

Comment

I've got a busy September ahead of me:

9/16: Apple Hill Surgical Center, York PA: In-Service training presentation for employees (FIRST of two events)

- 9/22: United Methodist Church, Lemoyne PA: Community-wide event
                      (See: http://www.graceumlemoyne.org/ --> Missions --> Live Ready Program for N1H1 September 22, 2009

- 9/23: Cumberland Valley School District, Cumberland Vly PA: Community-wide event (1st of 2 events) (See: http://www.cvschools.org/popup_info.cfm?story=609 )

-10/4: Methodist Churches Mission Central Health Fair, Mechanicsburg PA: Community-wide event

-10/7: Apple Hill Surgical Center, York PA: In-Service training presentation for employees (SECOND of two events)

- 9/23: Cumberland Valley School District, Cumberland Vly PA: Community-wide event(2nd of 2 events) (See: http://www.cvschools.org/popup_info.cfm?story=609 )

I've been invited to at least 3 more and haven't responded yet ...

Comment

Working...
                      X