Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
    Jeffrey Schmidt, Deputy Director
    200 Independence Avenue, SW
    Room 118F
    Washington, DC 20201
    Phone (202) 358-3595
    Fax (202) 401-3463

June 14, 2006

Thank you for your recent inquiry to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Deputy Secretary Alex Azar regarding pandemic influenza. Your interest in integrating the capacities of faith-based and other community organizations in planning, response and recovery is exactly what Secretary Michael Leavitt and Deputy Secretary Alex Azar have been advocating in their outreach to state, local, and non-governmental organizations.

My office is working within the Department of Health and Human Services to ensure communication with an integration of umbrella groups at the national level, such as the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD). I'm sure that you'll agree that it is vital that faith-based and community organizations are integrated at the state and local level. I recommend that you get in touch with your state and city emergency planning officials, as well as your state VOAD organization whose contact information you will find below.

Wisconsin VOAD
    Terri Leece, Chair
    Director of Disaster Services
    The Salvation Army
    179 North Court
    Nekoosa, WI 54457
    Phone: 715-325-6376/800-949-3387
    Email: Terri_leece@usc.salvationarmy.org

Thank you for all you do to help those in need.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Schmidt
    Deputy Director

Re: Response from Center for D.H.H.'s Faith-Based and Community Intiatives

Karen,
    Good effort contacting the HHS. VOAD is a good umbrella organization http://www.nvoad.org/

The local chapters reflect the interest of the local community. I have seen some leadership come from the Salvation Army, the Southern Baptist Men, United Way and others such as Catholic Charities. No one joins VOAD per se, but joins an organization that is a member of VOAD. The real value of VOAD in disasters is that it gets one a seat at the table so to speak with the Emergency Operations Centers and general command structure.

I am interested in learning if you find the VOAD in your area is what you are looking for.
    CR

Comment

Re: Response from Center for D.H.H.'s Faith-Based and Community Intiatives

I plan to make contact, and will get back to you a.s.a.p.

K.M.K.

Comment

Working...
      X