Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why No Countrywide Faith-Based Effort In the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why No Countrywide Faith-Based Effort In the USA?

Here is a copy of a letter sent to DHSS Deputy Secretary Alex Azar, asking the US to facilitate a conference for faith-based organization leaders to help mitigate problems that may occur during a pandemic in America.

To-date I have not received a response.

As many of you may know, there is an effort underway in Canada to organize faith-based organizations for the sole purpose of working with officials during a pandemic outbreak there.

Anyone with suggestions, please let me know?

At this point I see the potential influence and impact that faith-based organization leaders have among their collective congregations in getting the preparedness message out.

As daunting as this task may be - - I'm willing to re-think, re-group and strategize on ways of developing a similar grassroots effort here in the United States.

-----------------------------
    May 10, 2006

Alex Azar, II, Deputy Secretary
    United States Department of Health and Human Services
    200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
    Washington, DC 20201

Dear Deputy Secretary Alex Azar, II:

Since President Bush released the ?Implementation Plan? I have been brainstorming on possible mitigating solutions to problems that could arise due to a pandemic. Since traditionally Americans turn to Government and Faith-Based Organizations in times of crisis, I have identified several mitigating opportunities that both Government and Faith-Based Organizations can work together on.

For example Faith-Based Organizations could:

 Consider establishing a ?store house? that parishioners/members can add food, water, medicine, and supplies to now - - and access in the case of a pandemic or other emergency.

 Consider allowing your church to be a ?neighborhood staging area for distribution? where deliveries of food, water and essential commodities can be delivered and dispersed to citizens of your community.

 Consider establishing a communications link (e.g. telephone hotline, website chat room), for parishioners/members and community to access for grief counseling and prayer.

 Consider utilizing space at your church and facility for setting up a ?field hospital? to treat sickened citizens of your community.

More mitigating opportunities are included in a letter I addressed to Faith-Based Organizations. In the letter I ask leaders to consider providing relief, should a pandemic occur? But Karen Murphy-Kimber is an unknown person - - while you and officials at the US Department of Health and Human Services are well known. Leaders of Faith-Based Organizations will respond to you.

Deputy Secretary Azar I need your help? Please facilitate a think-tank/conference for leaders of Faith-Based Organizations from throughout America, to discuss mitigating opportunities like the ones I have identified? Why? Because Faith-Based Organizations could play a key role, second only to the Health and Medical Community during a pandemic. Hosting such an event is a significant move towards pandemic preparedness.

Your attention in this matter is appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you about this issue in the near future.

Respectfully,

Karen Murphy-Kimber

Re: Why No Countrywide Faith-Based Effort In the USA?

Karen,

How about approaching Oprah to help you gain an "in" with religious leaders. She clearly thinks birdflu is a threat and she's prepped for herself and her staff/ close friends/ colleagues.

In an iterview yesterday regarding "The Color Purple" she said she feels great things building and knows her soul's sharing is not done -- she feels her greatest contribution is yet to come. She doesn't know what it is...

I have found that people with great Vision -- who welcome being an instrument of Vision -- are more likely to really look at the possibility of bird flu coming with all its devistation, and view mitigating birdflu as "another nut to crack".

Oprah also knows she has a major voice for change and feels the joyous responsibility that goes along with it...

She might just be waiting to hear from a voice like you asking her to apply her thinking cap to this potential question. She might even do it behind the scenes at this time.

I don't think the answer is going to come from the top down, but from a groundswell of people like you and me following our passion... and possibly asking a spokesperson of the people to use their voice to help get like-minded leaders together.

Maybe we should all write in to the Oprah Show site asking Oprah to help out, or at least suggest a coalition of people from faith-based organizations together.

My grandfather didn't want my pregnant grandmother to go out during the 1918 pandemic in NYCity, but she did cook for people who needed help. Similarly during the Depression she always had a pot of soup on the stove and all children on the street could count on a bowl... she had a woman's group on her street and women helped women to help their families. You're right in desiring to speak to the people in your community.

We will need local plans. Where better than the churches, synagogues, mosques and womens' groups... ?

Let us/me know if you come up with a plan of emailing or letter writing. I'd be happy to lend my voice.

(chuckle) In looking over her show categories, maybe we should all write in about "Leading a Secret Life". If we ALL are willing to show up for a show about prepping for pandemic and getting churches to prep, maybe we could energise a grass-roots movement. Or maybe the category "Are You Afraid to Follow Your Passion" would be better: what's holding us back from going 100% after getting the word out in local communities.

I'm just trying to make a funny, of course. Like many or most of you in this community, I try to get the message out every chance I can -- in ways it can be heard. Problem is, people must first turn on their ears and minds, and believe they could do something to help themselves and their communities before they're really willing to hear the need to prepare or entertain any ideas regarding how.

It would be easier for someone with status and voice to give this issue (about involving and organizing faith based organizations) a nudge. Karen. keep thinking, seeking solutions, talking with people. For me insights to answers of questions I pose often come when I focus my action and am willing to persist -- gently persist sometimes, listen, more stridently persist at othertimes, listen, whatever seems necessary to effect change.

Holler if you think of something specific we can do, something in which a lot of emails or snailmails may help draw attention.

Mellie

Comment

Working...
    X