Preparation for Handling Language barriers during emergencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparation for Handling Language barriers during emergencies

I was discussing faith based emergency preparedness with the local head of the Woman's Auxiliary for the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (AKA Mormons). It is not often they get an emergency preparedness question they don't have a practical, cost effective solution for that has already been found, researched, tested and implemented. I asked if they had any protocols for dealing with victims that do not speak English or have a good working knowledge of the language? I gave the all too possible scenario of an Amish buggy in a traffic accident where the parents are incapacitated and the children only speak Pennsylvanian Dutch (an old German/Austrian dialect). I also mentioned that more immigrants from foreign countries are moving to the Common Wealth.

The Church has a plethora of members that speak several languages fluently but no data base of who speaks what languages, would be willing to assist in translating during an emergency situation and their contact information. This is topic is now being discussed and researched.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.
Working...
X