Good simulation of an easily spreadable pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good simulation of an easily spreadable pandemic

A good sociographic and timeline simulation of an easily spreadable pandemic started by only one person:
    Blogger es una herramienta de publicación de blogs de Google para compartir con facilidad tus pensamientos con el mundo. Con Blogger, es fácil publicar textos, fotos y vídeos en tu blog personal o de equipo.

Would the influenza behave in a much different way?

Re: Good simulation of an easily spreadable pandemic

Another example of Norovirus spread is one person to 16 within 24 hours via PVE (public vomiting event). See http://www.adn.com/life/health/story...-7924809c.html

I work where we constanting worry about Norovirus. When we are in code red, we are supposed to be in a high-hygiene mode. It's a good demonstration of how preparations are negated by a small amount of personal non-compliance. You can train, train, train, yet some folks just don't get it ... they either cannot mentally understand aplicable concepts or they don't care.

BTW, we do quite well at keeping Noro at a tolerable level.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

AlaskaDenise, what
      are the most common kind of non-compliance events (sorry my english) that take place in case of noro in where you work?
      What are the most important and crucial
      preventive measures and what actions are the stupidiest and worst to do?

Comment

#1 - Touching without thinking!

If folks would use the paper towel they used to wipe their hands, to also open the door handle in a restroom, they wouldn't contact the germs from those who don't wash. Move trash cans near doors so that can be accomplished more easily.

Also, open doors with your arm, etc., but not your hand.

Don't cough into hands - use elbows.

If you've been in a highly public area & unavoidably touched many surfaces, wash your hands before entering other areas.

When you know Noro is likely to be present - don't eat finger food - only order food that can be eaten with utensils. Don't eat from salad bars, despite a sneeze guard (preferably close salad bars during known events).

Eat snack food with the wrapper on - don't let your fingers touch the food.

Watch food service - if they hand you a paper cup by the drinking surface using fingers (especially that have just handled money), ask for another! Same with other items - utensils, etc.

Most important - those ill with Noro must be isolated. People will resist this by not reporting their illness, so employees watch for frequent bathroom trips and start inquiring. They sometimes insist they be seen by a doctor being allowed to remain with groups (especially in close quarters).

When transporting ill folks - the driver should keep their window down to direct airflow away.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Good points!
          How would you react if say 30 % of
          workers were ill and out from work?
          How could you maintain the hygiene level in where you work?

Comment

It would shut down, & the cruise ship portion has (other companies).

Since I work with the land portion, it is more difficult. There are hundreds/thousands of guests that you must accomodate somehow.

There are automatic hygiene level increases as the infection level goes up. It has never been so bad that it can't be handled.

Sometimes a group of exposed folks are asked to stay in their rooms for 24 hours - meals are brought to the rooms.

I'm not directly involved in the food or cleaning portion of the business. My talks might be cancelled, since they necessitate everyone coming to a small theatre. My powerpoints wouldn't work well outside. I might try doing talks without powerpoint & out on a large deck.

Comment

Ok. And let's imagine a little further.
              What if half of those who fell ill would die, how would you
              manage then? How could the hygiene be maintained?
              Of course this goes beyond normal, but still...
              It's very hard to imagine. Trying, but since never have been to a situation like that (I guess not many of us have been), no any kind of schema to follow. Many of us have seen death, even many people dying. But not this many that the CFR no seems to be.

Comment

I'm expecting that there will be some very rapid cross training - even between industries. If teachers have no students, but part of basic infrastructure are down, I would expect they'll be instantaneous retraining.

Comment

Working...
                X