Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U of M's Osterholm and Kahn respond to criticisms of WHO's handling of H1N1 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of M's Osterholm and Kahn respond to criticisms of WHO's handling of H1N1 pandemic

Source: http://www.minnpost.com/healthblog/2..._h1n1_pandemic

U of M's Osterholm and Kahn respond to criticisms of WHO's handling of H1N1 pandemic

By Susan Perry | Published Thu, Jun 10 2010 9:04 am

Talk about opening up a hornets? nest.

As I wrote earlier this week, two new reports ? one [PDF] from the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and the other in the form of an investigative article in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) ? have taken direct aim at the handling of the H1N1 pandemic by the World Health Organization?s (WHO).

The most troubling charges in the reports are that WHO let researchers with financial ties to pharmaceutical companies that sell antiviral drugs and influenza vaccines influence its pandemic-related decisions and recommendations...

...Defending WHO
    Since the reports were released last Friday, many experts, incensed by such insinuations, have jumped to WHO?s defense ? including Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota?s Center for Infectious Disease Research Policy.

?I think it?s actually reckless and irresponsible on the part of these organizations [the Parliamentary Assembly and BMJ] to say this,? Osterholm told me in a phone interview on Wednesday. ?It really is akin to screaming fire in a crowded theater without there being any evidence of a fire.?

He then quickly challenged some of the key charges that the two reports make against WHO for its handling of the pandemic...
Working...
X