Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michael Osterholm / new Foreign Affairs article

A few comments regarding this thread:

Dr. Osterholm's FA article is written for their readership: Decision-makers and pundits who need opinion and facts quickly. The average FA reader is not us. Heck, if someone put out "Bird Flu Weekly," we would all subscribe! One could say that the scientific journals and publications coming out pretty regularly now constitute a magazine substitute for us junkies.

That having been said, Osterholm's words give us ammunition to use when dealing with the reluctance of decision-makers to do the right thing. He is a master of the quotable quote and the sound byte, which we all need to frame the debate about preparedness. He is decidedly on our side.

I enjoyed the heck out of the CIDRAP Conference. It was an extremely well-done, professional event. The CIDRAP Conference was geared primarily toward companies and not individuals. They had to pay airfare, hotel and meals for their speakers (saving some money by having Margaret Chan attend via recorded video) and other expenses. Travel and expenses for the individuals who spoke was not cheap, I am sure.

I put on an association conference in Orlando not too long ago (Spring 2005), and it is not cheap. Remember, this occurred "in season" in Orlando. The first conference was in Minneapolis, and the organizers learned a lesson. Meals alone cost a fortune (by my estimate, at least four hundred dollars per person for three squares on Monday and two squares Tuesday, plus snacks). Plus, the cost of audio and video recording, post-production and duplication are very expensive. Each attendee will receive a DVD of the entire event. Chan's appearance alone is worth the cost of the DVD if charged separately. It is impossible to be noncommittal about influenza pandemic preparedness and planning after watching Dr. Chan's mesmerizing twenty-minute speech, delivered forthrightly while sitting in front of a television camera.

CIDRAP gets a cut of any profits, and who among us would deny them that opportunity? Also, the private company that put on the conference gets a cut. So $1800 for a corporation to send attendees and the $900 rate for government was steep, but let's not forget that it was not aimed at us as individuals. It was aimed at a specific corporate audience still getting an education about bird flu. I can absolutely tell you, and I think so would Florida1, that we on this board have forgotten more than the overwhelming majority of attendees knew about bird flu and pandemic preparedness before they arrived.

Maybe CIDRAP can do a conference geared toward governments, individuals and non-profit organizations in the future. I have suggested that to Dr. Osterholm, and we will see if that can be judged to cover expenses.

In the meantime, I went up onto that other summit's Website (New Fields) that is in Arlington this week. A great lineup, to be sure. It is clearly geared toward the medical researcher and government planner/health department official. And I agree with Yuma that the paltry $90 "break" for government people is ridiculous. I also have to chuckle at the person who gave the prison speech at their February event. County jails will all try to foist all their sick inmates on state systems. A State expert has to give that presentation. I know; I have given enough of them and my presentations are referenced by DoJ's Institute of Corrections and the Corrections Technology Association.
    Last edited by scottmcpherson; March 12, 2007, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmcpherson View Post
      A few comments regarding this thread:

Dr. Osterholm's FA article is written for their readership: Decision-makers and pundits who need opinion and facts quickly. The average FA reader is not us. Heck, if someone put out "Bird Flu Weekly," we would all subscribe! One could say that the scientific journals and publications coming out pretty regularly now constitute a magazine substitute for us junkies.
      Here you go, only $897 for a 12 month subscription.

Through a CIDRAP Business Source subscription, you can access critical intelligence for business preparedness, continuity, and strategic planning from an internationally recognized source on infectious disease threats. Over the past year, more than half of America's top 100 companies have turned to the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) for crucial information on pandemic influenza, our current focus. Now, CIDRAP can be your comprehensive source for information necessary for infectious disease-related business continuity planning....

Place your 12-month subscription order for only $897

Your paid subscription includes a single-user account, which gives you 24/7 access to the site and e-mailed issues of the Weekly Briefing. Please call us toll-free at 1-866-395-0017 to inquire about purchasing accounts for multiple users. A discounted rate is available for government agencies, educational institutions, and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

LOL I actually subscribe to Foreign Affairs. It is very expensive but does offer unique and extremely knowledgeable opinions. It is not targeted to the hoi polloi but rather to those who make decisions at the highest levels of government. They in turn are supposed to learn enough to go home and start the wheels rolling for disseminating the news. Any group who is in this same position will charge a large amount of money to attend. At least this group is open to any who want to sit and listen, a great many not only do not.
        Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
        Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

To Laidback Al....

CIDRAP would certainly thank you for the subscription plug!

They were pushing that service at their conference. It is a good service for those who don't have the time or inclination to become passionate about this topic (as we all are here!), but who need to stay aware.

It's pretty standard fare for those of us who live, eat, sleep and breathe this stuff.

Comment

makes some people wonder, whether they maybe pushed the
            birdflu scare so to earn money with it
            I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
            my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

I think they see the need to provide a service and realize they need to cover their costs. As a university-affiliated nonprofit, they cannot "profit" from it in the truest sense. But they do need to cover their costs of providing a service. They can also squirrel some money away.

Osterholm is religious about preparing businesses for supply chain peril and other economic disasters related to a pandemic. Sometimes, in America and elsewhere, businesses and corporations do not see the value in advice unless they themselves are paying for it! Why else would they pay billions to consultants to tell them what they already know?

In this case, they have either never planned for supply chain disruptions, or they forgot their Y2K plans for same. And they realize, however dimly at first, that maybe there is something to this pandemic stuff after all. Realizing this information has value, they seek to pay firms to get their advice tailored to their specialty. It is not unlike IT professionals paying Gartner. The company could get smart, but it is far more cost-effective to pay someone else to do the research and planning instead.

I believe Osterholm has great credibility and is a great spokesman for our cause.

Comment

After spending $1800 to attend the meeting, if those in attendance then prepare adequately for the pandemic, and urge the hundreds of others in their large corporations to do likewise, then it is money well spent. It is for a worthy cause.
                Most corporations have large expense accounts. They can well afford the fees.

Somebody ought to tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying.
                Then we might live life to the limit every minute of every day. Do it, I say, whatever you want to do, do it now.
                - Michael Landon -

Comment

what do they get for the money ?
                  Anything which they can't get e.g. here from reading Flutrackers ?
                  I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                  my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Very wise, intuitive, and well said, Scott!!

4-ABBA

Originally posted by scottmcpherson View Post
                    I think they see the need to provide a service and realize they need to cover their costs. As a university-affiliated nonprofit, they cannot "profit" from it in the truest sense. But they do need to cover their costs of providing a service. They can also squirrel some money away.

Osterholm is religious about preparing businesses for supply chain peril and other economic disasters related to a pandemic. Sometimes, in America and elsewhere, businesses and corporations do not see the value in advice unless they themselves are paying for it! Why else would they pay billions to consultants to tell them what they already know?

In this case, they have either never planned for supply chain disruptions, or they forgot their Y2K plans for same. And they realize, however dimly at first, that maybe there is something to this pandemic stuff after all. Realizing this information has value, they seek to pay firms to get their advice tailored to their specialty. It is not unlike IT professionals paying Gartner. The company could get smart, but it is far more cost-effective to pay someone else to do the research and planning instead.

I believe Osterholm has great credibility and is a great spokesman for our cause.

Comment

Working...
                    X