Ideas to Implement CERT for Pandemic Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ideas to Implement CERT for Pandemic Response

I have recently signed up for training with the Ohio CERT Program..(Community Emergency Responce Team).. In my area the training is provided by your local fire/ems and they encourage local area groups, neighborhood watchs..etc.. and all people to participate. In case of a disaster, or "overwhelming event", that you would have the ability to help your neighbors and community until officals could arrive. From my understanding they are tweeking it to cover helping your neighborhood in the event of a pandemic.

the below links are for more info... after I have taken the training.. I will report back to you...

various links to OHIO Citizens Corps..etc
    http://mtcert.org/links.htm

This is the link that shows what the class will cover.
    http://mtcert.org/training.htm

Check it out.. I figure the knowledge will be invaluable..

Comment

Community Preparedness Check List

Community Preparedness Check List being used in NZ: Down load tables here

1. Get involved in making sure that your community understands the likely consequences of a pandemic:

a. Work with partner organisations to call a ?Pandemic Ready Community Meeting?
      -Your notes and planning (who, where, when)

b. Invite local health professionals to brief your group on the latest understanding of the potential health implications and health responses for your community.
      - Who to invite, contact details

c. Invite a Civil Defence Emergency Management (CDEM) representative to explain likely wider impact of a pandemic on the community and responses that are planned.
      -Who to invite, contact details

d. Have the health and CDEM representatives explain how health and other responses will be coordinated during an event.
      -Notes:

2. Identify and list the types of community members and their needs that official services may not be able to meet during a pandemic:

Identify and document:

a. Young families ? especially solo parents - What are their needs?

b. Older people living alone - What are their needs?

c. People with disabilities - What are their needs?

d. People in isolated areas - What are their needs?

e. Members of less integrated social groups - What are their needs?

f. People whose caregiver is sick, and may be unable to care for them (eg. elderly living with a caregiver) - What are their needs?

g. People who extend on external help (eg. home support) - What are their needs?

h. Institutions that may struggle ? rest homes, hostels - What are their needs?

i. Any other groups and their needs ?

3. Gain an appreciation for how members of your community could safely deliver and receive support during a pandemic:

Develop an adequate understanding of:

a. Social distancing in community settings.

b. Hand-washing and influenza hygiene in community settings.

c. Personal protective equipment in community (non-clinical) settings.

d. Isolation of infected members of the community.

e. Other issues (these may be raised by individuals, your health representatives, or CDEM representatives).

4. Plan for how members of your community will work together to meet its needs during a pandemic.

Include and work with existing organisations with a local presence ? if relevant:

Work with (where relevant):

a. Neighbourhood Support

b. Schools

c. Church groups

d. Marae / Runanga

e. Ethnic communities

f. Local voluntary sector organisations

g. Community service clubs

h. Local CDEM wardens or office

i. Local supermarket, garage, shops

j. Others ?
      Last edited by Sally Furniss; January 7, 2007, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Re: Ideas to Implement CERT for Pandemic Response

Greetings to all,

Earlier this year I too found out about CERT and when I approached my County Emergency Response coordinator, he reported they were short of instructors at the moment and suggested I look into EMC - Emergency Medical Corps. He told me the EMC was created in direct response to 9/11 when at the time New York was literally overwhelmed by over 4,000 'volunteers' that converged on the site to help out. Nobody was prepared to handle that many strangers and it quickly became more of a problem in just handling all those people. The down side to having people helping people in these emergency situations also quickly became apparent in that gangs and thieves took advantage of the situation and looted supplies and equipment. The EMC was created to eliminate the guess work by registering qualified volunteers in advance and issuing ID cards that will more efficiently deploy the volunteers who show up to help. I was also told you do not need to be a medical professional to help or participate. They provide all the training and is open to all citizens and groups. I will be coordinating training for my sons Scout troop this spring and parents are encouraged to participate as well. I am interested in any of your CERT training and or experience updates.

Last edited by Iceman; February 13, 2007, 01:39 PM. Reason: Added URL

Comment

Working...
        X