How to deal with neighbors / relatives who dont want to hear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with neighbors / relatives who dont want to hear

I am starting this thread so that we can all share differrent success stories about "what worked" in getting thru to friends and relatives who think you have gone coo-coo over bird flu.

Do you have a success story? A good resource that "got thru" to someone?

Is speaking to people directly more effective--or is sending them an email / giving them a printout / sending an anonymous pamphlet in the mail?

Please share what works, including links to info that you found "got thru."

We *all* need this....so we can go beyond 'preaching to the choir.'

(Mods: please place in correct forum--thanks!)

4-ABBA

Re: How to deal with neighbors / relatives who dont want to hear

i have tried to warn my family ,but all ive got is yawns and snigering behind my back,so they are on there own if or when the SHTF,i have children of my own to care for.

Comment

A couple of people now listen to my warnings...but they've yet to take action in securing preps.

Comment

My "hunch" is anonymous mailings of concise BF information may be the best way....or one of the best.

We can, at best, only give others info about BF. What they do with it is their choice.

Comment

Last year I asked my sister in law, through email if she had heard of bird flu and if it had been on the news or in the paper over there. She said no, so I sent her some articles via email from the local papers. She was shocked that she hadn't even heard about it, all this happened right before the Turkey outbreak and that really got her attention.

I still send an article here and there, in the meantime she has taken it upon herself to make a plan and stock some supplies. I have used this tactic before with limited success.
          "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

Originally posted by MHSC
            Last year I asked my sister in law, through email if she had heard of bird flu and if it had been on the news or in the paper over there. She said no, so I sent her some articles via email from the local papers. She was shocked that she hadn't even heard about it, all this happened right before the Turkey outbreak and that really got her attention.

I still send an article here and there, in the meantime she has taken it upon herself to make a plan and stock some supplies. I have used this tactic before with limited success.
            THAT'S encouraging--thanks MHSC....

Comment

Slow and Steady

1. I started by giving my family boxes of N95 masks last Christmas, saying that, if an outbreak occurred, they didn't want to be running about without any protection trying to get food and money, etc. Just common sense and it didn't cost them anything.

2. I educated them about the dangers of becoming refugees. During the year, I commented about how bad it got so fast during Katrina and how slow the government was to respond. I pointed out that the government would be much less available during an epidemic. And that the neighborhood communities prevented exit from NO with gunshots...and that was with NO DISEASE and NO APPARENT risk from refugees, other than a call on there compassion and resources.

3. I continued the little bits of news about my preparation efforts during the year. For example, "I bought a 15 watt solar battery charger at Costco today. I'm not getting rechargeable batteries yet, because they deteriorate at 10% per month, even when not in use."

4. I sent them the 30 day preparation lists and the Sarajavo bulletin, mostly to show them what is the minimum survival posture and get them thinking.

5. I bought and gifted them with Woodsen's BF book when it was released.

6. I send event driven news bulletins via email to my family, without asking for or receiving an acknowledgement, including opportunities to buy Tamiflu over the internet before the price increase..."Just click on this link and send money." I include reassuring events (e.g. recent Egypt fatalities do not contain "new" human polymorphisms)

Results

My son, who lives in Manhattan, is actively structuring a country retreat and he has purchased Tamiflu. He has purchased empty gas cans and stored them at friends houses between home and retreat.

My daughter is ducking the whole thing because she is overwhelmed by the prospect of feeding her children without ready access to abundant junk food.

However, her husband has taken a new job in a very upscale area and the money men who hired him suggested to him that there was a 2 to 5% chance of a pandemic and reported that they had gold and guns in their safes. He listened and, when I emailed the family an Internet opportunity to purchase Tamiflu, he did so. I don't know if he purchased a safe, gold or guns...I did clip one of the "dollar meltdown" articles and emailed it to him. He responded "nonsense". But he read it...so that's the good news. And he knows that I have a lot of my personal resources in gold.

My sister showed her physician employer the 30 day preparation list who said that it was "a little extreme" but not completely over the top...My sister also gave some of the masks I sent her to her children.

I have been less successful with neighbors, but we do have a elementary neighborhood association which has a history of cooperating on maintainance of our pavement, culverts and gate. And we party together occasionally... not the best opportunity for imparting info, but still we know each other and have a current email address list....

I have respected my husband's request to spare his brothers my BF email.
              Judith --

What the method does not allow for cannot be proven or disproven using it.

Comment

Working...
              X