Action Alert! Opinions Needed Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Alert! Opinions Needed Now!

ACTION ALERT! ACTION ALERT! ACTION ALERT!

Karen Murphy-Kimber
    Preparedness Activist
    1100 South 34th Street
    Milwaukee, WI 53215
    414-389-9152
    kimberferris@sbcglobal.net

NOW IS THE TIME TO RAISE OUR COLLECTIVE VOICE IN SOLIDARITY FOR PANDEMIC PREPAREDNESS

April 30, 2006 - As you know, on Tuesday, May 9th, ABC television will be broadcasting a 2hr drama depicting a ?worse case scenario? of a Bird Flu Pandemic entitled, ?FATAL CONTACT? Bird Flu In America at 7:00PM Central Standard Time.

We can make a difference by deluging the newspaper media with Ed/Op Letters to local, state, and national newspaper media about pandemic preparedness. Millions will watch the drama - - this is an opportunity to save lives.

Please take the time and put pen to paper?

For further information contact - Karen Murphy-Kimber, at kimberferris@sbcglobal.net

Re: Action Alert! Opinions Needed Now!

This is one action that can make a difference in the Minds of journalists and newspapers decisions makers.

I have work few years in this fiels and let me tell you that sometimes a simple letter receive at the right time make it at the decision table.

Maybe there are other people just like me who are not familiar with english written.

I would suggest that we make the letter here in the thread of Karen Murphy-Kimber. People well verse in english and with the capacity to go right to the point could help some of us who are not at best in writing.

As Karen point it out, pandemic preparedness is the message that must get trough. The more people will be informed that they can make a difference in their family, the more they will act.

Comment

snowy,
      please post an outline of the 2 or 3 points that we should stress. this has to be either a single message, one point or one with two or three.
      In marketing,
      one sells
      two confuses

please post the points.

This new spit and vinegar character may help, but i'm concerned that she's a life long advocate because of reasons having nothing to do with bird flu and it's easy to see this. that means if i were on the other side, i'd blow her off. this would be counterproductive. this is forewarning. eagerness to do something is what we all feel.

this african american woman can do a lot in that part of the community who will respond to this "claim" of right. however, in the bf community, it's what you know and what you know takes weeks of intensive, daily study, full time, to get the understanding of what this means. this is not government or light, surface-based stuff. this is a disease; it has a long history and it has facets flashing 360 degrees. wanting to help is different than helping.

her suggestion for the newspaper write in is imo a very good idea, if it is constructed to achieve results. nothing less will be worth a hill of beans, imo.

snowy or someone here who has a good idea of the best message/selling point... please speak to this point.

Originally posted by Snowy Owl
      This is one action that can make a difference in the Minds of journalists and newspapers decisions makers.

I have work few years in this fiels and let me tell you that sometimes a simple letter receive at the right time make it at the decision table.

Maybe there are other people just like me who are not familiar with english written.

I would suggest that we make the letter here in the thread of Karen Murphy-Kimber. People well verse in english and with the capacity to go right to the point could help some of us who are not at best in writing.

As Karen point it out, pandemic preparedness is the message that must get trough. The more people will be informed that they can make a difference in their family, the more they will act.

Comment

April 30, 2006

Dear editor,

I am a resident of (put in your own town) who believes that Bird Flu is developing into the next worldwide Pandemic and it may have very severe consequences for our children and us.

QUOTE ? John Barry - Author of The Great Influenza (G. W. Bush read this book during his last Summer vacation):
        ?For at least the last five hundred years, pandemics have occurred three to five times a century, with the greatest duration between pandemics of 42 years. We are now at 37 years and counting.?

I have been following it for over a year now and I am very concerned for the safety of my family. Children seem to be getting sick more than any other age group.

The Government has basically told us that we must plan on the local level ? basically, are ?on our own?. Food and medical supply experts have said that a pandemic may disrupt supply chains to the point that there could be major shortages of everything for months during a pandemic.

QUOTE - Michael Leavitt ? Secretary U.S. Health and Human Services:
        A pandemic could cause food shortages in supermarkets, because high absentee rates due to sickness could disrupt manufacturing and supply lines, Have a couple weeks of food supplies on hand, as well as first-aid kits

The virus that causes Bird Flu has killed over 50% of the people who have caught it. Granted as of now that is a very low number and Bird Flu is just that ? a disease of birds ? BUT ? it is rapidly evolving in a way that makes it easier to infect Humans

QUOTE - Dr. Michael Osterholm - director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy:
        "H5N1 is the most powerful influenza virus we've seen in modern human history"

With such a high fatality rate, a Bird Flu Pandemic has the potential to change the world, as we know it.

QUOTE - Dr. Robert G. Webster - Member, St. Jude Faculty _Rose Marie Thomas Chair: Considered the leading Infectious Disease researcher specializing in the H5N1 virus:
        "Society just can't accept the idea that 50 percent of the population could die. And I think we have to face that possibility. "I'm sorry if I'm making people a little frightened, but I feel it's my role."

If a Bird Flu pandemic happens, we must have stored in our houses, supplies that will last your family for a month or more. You do not want to get sick. The stores will quickly empty of all food and supplies. The pharmacy will empty. They will not resupply quickly. There is the possibility that Power Plants will run out of fuel or healthy workers and we could experience power outages for an extended time period.

This is from the official U.S. Government Pandemic Flu Web site managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services:

?Social Disruption May Be Widespread?
        ?Being Able to Work May Be Difficult or Impossible?
        ?Schools May Be Closed for an Extended Period of Time?
        ?Transportation Services May Be Disrupted?
        ?People Will Need Advice and Help at Work and Home?
        ?Stay Healthy?
        ?Get Informed?
        ?Be Prepared?

I have begun to prepare my home and family for a 3-month quarantine. I believe that for our collective safety we all must begin to prepare our homes. Communication will be very important however and during a pandemic it will not be wise to get together to talk about it. I know this is a radical message but it is vital that you take it seriously.

There is a website on the internet where we could meet safely and discuss these issues we all face ? How is our Board of Education dealing with this? Our Local Health Department? Our Police and Fire Departments? Our local businesses? Our Town Government?

Please visit www.flutrackers.com ... Become a member ? it is free and you can be anonymous. No one will know who you are nor where you live ? just that we are all people who want to protect our families.

There is no better way to stay informed about this very scary possibility.

Sincerely yours,

(Your name)

Comment

Thank you GR for the opportunity,

The first thing I say now in conferrence, to journalists on the radio is the following; a virulent human influenza virus towards which we have no immunity, is not containable even with our modern technology.

Therefore if it goes efficiently transmissible human to human, we get into a world wide problem. Since, our economy have become very interdependant in the last century, and since cities have become overwhelmy the sites where humans live, we will face major disruption in food, energy, medicine, anddaily things.

We must as responsable individuals, get prepare, and at least develop some independance in the above shortage that we will face when a pandemic goes global.

I would then add most of Goju elements in the letter.

Comment

Dear Sirs:

I am concerned. Our Federal Government is telling us some very scarey news. And I ask for your advice.

What they told us at their website is this:
            They expect widespread chaos in our city and our part of the USA. And, they expect mass layoffs and economic fear for the immediate future.

These horrors and worse are officially predicted by our government. And they can happen within days of the outbreak of pandemic flu.

The only thing missing is easy transmission from person to person. And that's just a few amino acid changes away from happening!! That's what's so scarey to me. Please see for yourself:
            www.pandemicflu.gov

(sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services)

These are the highlights:

“Social Disruption May Be Widespread”
            “Being Able to Work May Be Difficult or Impossible”
            “Schools May Be Closed for an Extended Period of Time”
            “Transportation Services May Be Disrupted”
            “People Will Need Advice and Help at Work and Home”
            “Stay Healthy”
            “Get Informed and Get Prepared"

My neighbors need to know. You can reach the community. You're respected. This is a real human interest story. And it's a threat to your life and mine.

We are being told by experts, "There is a virulent human influenza virus towards which we have no immunity; and it is not containable even with our modern technology." Snowy Owl (or whoever)

Intelligent preparation for this event will save thousands of lives in our community.

You probably know that ABC TV is broadcasting on May 9 a sweepsweek 2 hour docudrama on this topic. They expect a huge audience.

Possibly you can see a tie in for your [paper/station/blahblahblah]! ABC may be providing the free publicity. And it's an easy reach on May 9, and especially Wednesday, May 10, after the show is broadcast, to reach the audience.

To find the story for your [paper/station/blah...], there are three main depositories for almost all that's happening to prepare for this pandemic.
            All these are either not for profit or nearly so.
            They can be found here:
            www.fluwikie.com (many articles...mostly a blog)
            www.flutrackers.com (a newsgroup...very active; a great site)
            www.thefluclinic.com (a newsgroup...previously very active, and still great.)

If I can help in any way at all, please ask me. I look forward to the success you'll enjoy and the benefits you will gift our community by your coverage of this topic, especially on May 10.

Sincereley,

Comment

The above letter should be reworked, with the ABC info way up at the top.
              It should be cut down too. And it should be blocked as powerful, punchy paragraphs. HTH.GR
              Thx Goju & Snowy Owl.

Plz post what you think should be the final drafts. Alternatives are ok.

Comment

Working...
              X