X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=primetime&id=4091093

"Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America"

<!--Start Left column--->April 18, 2006 - The movie follows Avian Flu through its mutation into a virus transmittable from human to human.

On Tuesday, May 9 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET), ABC will bring to television a two-hour original movie. "Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America" follows an outbreak of an Avian Flu from its origins in a Hong Kong market through its mutation into a virus transmittable from human to human around the world.

The meticulously researched film stars Joely Richardson ("Nip/Tuck"), Stacy Keach ("Prison Break," "Blackbeard"), Ann Cusack ("Grey's Anatomy," "Ghost Whisperer"), Justina Machado ("Six Feet Under"), Scott Cohen ("Street Time," "Law & Order: Trial by Jury") and David Ramsey ("All of Us"). The movie opens with an American businessman flying to Hong Kong to meet with his Asian manufacturers. After 11 meetings in three countries in six days, he starts his return to Virginia. But before he returns home, the Chinese government has informed the World Health Organization that a new strain of the Avian Flu virus was discovered in a local marketplace. Over 1.2 million infected birds were killed in an attempt to eradicate this strain. Dr. Iris Varnack (Richardson) of the Epidemic Intelligence Service receives an emergency summons to China, where she discovers these efforts may have come too late. Despite the early warning, the H5N1 virus has mutated into a version that can spread from human to human -- shown in eye-opening detail whenever the microbes start to permeate the atmosphere - across races, nationalities, genders and ages.
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[OAS_AD('Middle1');//]]></SCRIPT>
    John M. Barry, Distinguished Visiting Scholar at Tulane University and writer of the New York Times bestseller, "The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History," served as a consultant on the project.

Barry's book, which includes a new afterword on today's Avian Flu, focuses on the 1918 Spanish Flu which killed between 50-100 million people.

The film deals with the current threat of the Avian Flu virus (H5N1). Scientists continue to debate the degree to which the virus can mutate and be easily passed among human beings

Re: Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America

BRAVO ABC!

This is how you reach the American Public.

A made for TV movie.

BRAVO!

Comment

Make sure you have all your stockpiling done by May 9th.

-hawkeye

Comment

Hawkeye,
        You are correct. There is a reason this movie is coming out and it's not just to grab viewers.
        R

Comment

http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read.html?id=7908

ABC to take on avian flu during sweeps

LOS ANGELES, April 18 (UPI) -- ABC has unveiled its top-secret, made-for-TV movie about avian flu for the May sweeps rating period.

"Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America" stars Stacy Keach, Joely Richardson, Ann Cusack and Justine Machado in a tale about what could happen if the virus starting moving among residents of the United States, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

Co-producer Diana Kerew said they kept the film under wraps because of "its topicality."

"The world changes very quickly, and we wanted to make sure at the point we were ready to unveil (the film) that we were accurate and up-to-date," she told the Post.

Although the film airing May 9 is fictional, "We've included a lot of information we believe people need to know," co-producer Judith Verno said.

Comment

This is looking like less of a TV movie and more of an educational film to prepare the public for what's coming.

Comment

Let's just hope its a bit more entertaining than the 1950s-1960s A-Bomb educational clips.

-hawkeye

Comment

i liked thoase A bomb films - i used to watch from under my desk as i kissed my ass goodbye

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

me too!

Comment

I hope it's well done.

I may be able to resurrect a phrase used long ago (my childhood) to evaluate entertainment - "Does it have redeeming social value?"

Since people seem to pay more attention to entertainment stars than experts, this may convince the public to obtain the best possible disaster insurance - preparation.

I wonder if they'll follow up this teachable moment with a series special reports with details of solutions & preps?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I wonder if they'll follow up this teachable moment with a series special reports with details of solutions & preps?

Ummm...probably not.

But rest assured, the pandemic will not hit until after May 9th. That must be why the news has been slowing a bit lately.

-hawkeye

Comment

I do not have any high expectations. They will have to sensationalize this film to make it spicy and that may add fuel to the fire of the skeptics.

Comment

I'm with Florida1...I was just thinking, it'll probably make us all look like alarmists.

-hawkeye

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye
                            Make sure you have all your stockpiling done by May 9th.

-hawkeye
                            I'd love to know opinions on the above quote. The Oprah show produced no prepping and neither did those CNN / National Geographic shows. Is there some reason to think this will wake people up ?

Comment

It will raise awareness, the only question is how much.

.1% of the population?
                              1% of the population?
                              10% of the population?

Comment

Working...
                              X