Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FluTrackers Website As a Learning Tool in Communications

Hat tip Senior Moderator Fla Medic

Covering Pandemic and Seasonal Flu, H5N1 `Bird Flu, Emerging Infectious Diseases, public health, community & Individual preparedness, and anything else that piques my admittedly eclectic interests

Feedback On Flublogia

# 2121

It is hard to be a participant in Flublogia without wondering just how we are perceived by non-flubies - particularly those who work or make policy inside the Washington D.C. beltway.
    Are we minor irritants, like fleas on an elephant's back, that scarcely warrant notice? Are we dismissed as marginal, perhaps even fringe players, with nothing of substance to contribute?

Or . . . are we looked upon as a serious partner in our nation's, and indeed the world's, journey towards better pandemic preparedness.
    I think the answer may surprise you.

Readers of this blog are no doubt aware that over the past year, the HHS and the CDC have reached out to Flublogia, and have invited some of us to participate in their planning and communications sessions.

Forums like the Flu Wiki and Flutrackers have been openly hailed by representatives of government agencies as being responsible, and valuable, contributors to the pandemic preparedness and education effort.

A good example of this was when HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt's science advisor, Dr. William Raub, answered questions on the Flu Wiki earlier this year. A few years ago, it would have been unthinkable that such a highly placed official would submit to an interview on an Internet forum.

Preparedness websites, such as GET PANDEMIC READY, are increasingly being utilized by local governments as a source of preparedness information for their citizens.

Last year, in an unprecedented move, the HHS held a 5-week Pandemic Leadership Blog, where eleven bloggers coming from various sectors of our nation produced roughly 60 blogs. Flublogia was invited here as well, with Dr. Greg Dworkin (Daily Kos, Flu Wiki) and I participating.

If you haven't read the 60 blogs, and the roughly 2000 comments archived there, you really should spend some time perusing this HHS blog site.

This year again, the HHS invited Dr. Dworkin, along with Sharon Sanders of Flutrackers, and myself to Washington to take part in a pandemic communications tabletop exercise. And since that time, we've been invited to participate in HHS sponsored teleconferences as well.
    Whether you agree, or disagree, with their policies (and I've publicly done both) you have to admit that these government agencies are trying to reach out and understand the online community.
    They sense that we, Flublogia, are part of the future of pandemic communications, and quite frankly, they aren't sure what to do about that.

What they do know is that many people want to hear the pandemic preparedness message from someone other than the Federal government. That was the whole point of last year's Pandemic Leadership Summit.

To engage the private sector in delivering the message.

There are now toolkits, freely available on the HHS pandemic flu site, for use by community leaders, civic, and religious organizations to help get the word out.

These were born, in part, from input from that summit.

While I've known for some time that Flublogia's importance has been growing, it was driven home to me today by a file sent to me by Sharon Sanders of Flutrackers.

In her meanderings around the Internet she uncovered, quite by accident, a power point presentation and audio file from an executive web seminar held last February.

The venue was Forum One Communication's Web Executive Seminar on February 26, 2008, and the presenters are Stephanie Marshall, Director of Pandemic Communications at the Office of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - and Qui Diaz, one of the key organizers of the Leadership Summit from Ogilvy Public Relations.

***The powerpoint presentation and audio file, entitled Using Social Sites to Engage Audiences About Pandemic Flu are posted on SlideShare.com. The audio runs about 20 minutes. There are 23 slides to view as you listen.***

It is a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at how they put together the Leadership summit, along with some pretty encouraging things they had to say about Flublogia in general.

Flublogia is growing, and learning as it does so.

It hasn't always been a smooth ride. To some officials I'm sure we have been viewed, at times, to be caustic, impatient, demanding, and damned inconvenient.

This is, after all, the Internet. That comes with the territory.

But Flublogia is also a terrific resource; not only for ideas and public education, but for action.

We have newshounds that search for hours each day, painstakingly reading and translating foreign news reports, looking for the latest pandemic information. The work that they do is often unsung, but I can assure them it is noticed and appreciated at official levels.

Frankly, I couldn't do much of what I do here without them.

Bloggers such as Crof, Scott, SophiaZoe and the Reveres not only bring their personal perspectives to the issues, they also capture and present the latest news and information.

Much of what I know about the science of influenza I owe to the Reveres. All of what I know about the art of blogging, I owe to Crof.

We have grassroots organizations springing forth from the forums, such as the Readymom's Alliance, which has spread the preparedness word at a number of prominent national conventions this year. And projects like Students Prep America, which is taking the preparedness message to college students.

I don't think many of us in Flublogia had any idea three years ago that we'd ever be anything more than an informal gathering place where people who shared the same concerns could share information and commiserate.

We've somehow evolved from that humble beginning.

The flu forums have thousands of participants from literally scores of countries. Sure, we have doctors and scientists - but we also have housewives and retirees, nurses and firefighters, construction workers and concerned moms.

People from all walks of life. And considering the diversity of opinions and varied backgrounds, all working surprisingly well together with but one goal.

To help reduce morbidity and mortality during the next pandemic.

Sometimes the best things in life aren't planned.

They just happen.

posted by FLA_MEDIC @ 8:38 PM

Re: FluTrackers Website As a Learning Tool in Communications

"Feedback On Flublogia"

8 Comments - <script type="text/javascript"> WritePostCollapsor(); </script>Show Original Post<script type="text/javascript"> WriteCommentsCollapsor(); </script>

<dl id="comments-block"><dt id="c1402339992947307019"> DemFromCT said...</dt><dd>
    </dd><dd>Indeed, some things just happen.
    Thanks for posting this!
    10:39 PM</dd><dt>
    </dt><dt id="c1918978934562777851"> ReadyMom said...</dt><dd>
    </dd><dd>Thanks, Mike. I was feeling a little disappointed, today. Wondering if I have the energy to keep on going, after realizing my own county is not going to promote individual preparedness and I'm the lone voice here. Your post is prodding me to keep on going. Not to give up. -k
    11:07 PM</dd><dt>
    </dt><dt id="c398848705441193517"> SusanC said...</dt><dd>
    </dd><dd>Mike, thanks for your post. For once, much as I support most of what you said, I must disagree with the spirit of your piece. I am fully aware of the incredible things that flublogia has accomplished, but to me there is only one test, on how well we are doing. And the test is this:

Are we actually making a difference in the real world?

Not the world of flublogia, where we are very good at helping each other learn and prepare.

Not the world of government, when they are very good at paying attention to what we say (or at least making a song and dance of it).

But in the real world. Are we succeeding in getting substantial portions of the public aware, let alone prepared? Are we able to assist tptb to act differently, to bravely do their duty of informing the public?

Cos what is public health, without the public?

The public is not only not on board, they remain blithely ignorant.

The internet is a wonderful tool to disseminate knowledge. It can also be an extremely insular world, since those who read certain topics are mostly self-selected. They are already aware, before they will read what we write. I'm sure tptb knows this as well, which makes their platitudes towards us all the more irksome. Do you ever get a sense that words are cheap? That is action that we want? I do. And I'm frustrated and wary that we are falling into the honey-coated trap of thinking we are important and making a difference, while those who have very different ideas about pandemic planning is all about, are having significant impact on how policy is actually being implemented behind the back of the public, and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Last week, we went to the National PTA convention. We made a point of speaking to the delegates one-on-one, sharing with them the information about pandemics, about kids being at risk (ASTHO notwithstanding), about the need to prepare, and about early school dismissal as a public health intervention to protect kids. We personally talked to some 400+ PTA representatives, those public-spirited citizens who have taken upon themselves to make their schools and their community better places.

The overwhelming, and I mean overwhelming, reaction to what we shared was shock. Shock about the information we are sharing, but also shock that they have heard nothing about it. Zero. Zilch. Nada. (Read more about this here)

I don't know who (which spin doctor or 'think tank'?) came up with this hypothesis that people need to hear messages from anyone else other than the government; the theory that they need to hear the information from those they trust. Do we have actual data that support that? I see 2 problems with these 2 themes: first they presuppose people do not trust the government. It may be true in some areas, but it can also be USED by government to run away from their responsibilities. The second problem is without a clear and public message from the government, it's mighty hard for those of us who have not been formally anointed to do the job of informing the public (as distinct from those 'leaders' in the leadership forum) to spread the word at all.

As for those who ARE anointed, are we seeing a lot of efforts by these 'leaders' to take their message to their communities? Well, it depends on your definition of community. Yes, we are seeing a lot of activities by business. I have taken part in a number of them. They mostly concentrate on making COOP plans for their business, and most communications are still limited to senior staff or those directly involved in COOP or security. Again the vast majority of rank and file employees remain ignorant.

As for the National PTA, I understand they were invited to the leadership summit. Has anything been done to inform their delegates, 1 whole year after the summit? We haven't heard a single one of these national level delegates tell us they have been informed by their leadership. And that is just one example.

Leaving aside the pragmatic view for the moment, there is to me a strong moral objection against such an approach. Because it presupposes that as a society, we CAN trust these so-called 'leaders' to do their job. Well, can we? they are not elected. They are not paid out of the public purse. They are not accountable to the public, to society at large. Their primary responsibility and allegiance is to whoever hires them, in their organization (and rightly so). They are NOT a legitimate substitute for what should have been the government's responsibility. Can we trust them, without public scrutiny and accountability, to deliver the right message? Not altered or watered down by vested interests, ignorance, complacency, or downright reluctance to do what is not their job?

The other moral objection that I have, is what about those citizens who do not belong to any of these organizations or 'communities'? Which probably includes a majority of the population.

When there is a threat to the wellbeing of the people as a whole, it is the government's job to inform and assist them to mitigate the threat. When there is a health hazard like severe smog, when there is a hurricane, when there is a terrorist threat, it is the government's role to tell the public to be alert, prepared, and stay out of harms way. When smoking was deemed to be hazardous to health, they did not leave it to any other 'community leaders'. The Surgeon General took it upon himself to make sure every American is informed.

How is the threat of a pandemic different?

We must do our best and work with government. We must also do our duty to the public, to keep asking these questions that are of public interest.

To hold their feet to the fire; to hold them accountable.

Otherwise we are not much better than any other social media. They are great, but is that truly our goal?
    2:23 AM
    </dd><dt id="c8949101198086490194"> SusanC said...</dt><dd>
    </dd><dd>ps I posted your blog and my comments on Flu Wiki,to expand the debate. ;-)
    3:03 AM
    </dd><dt id="c4489163899821493112">
    </dt></dl><snip>
    </snip><dl id="comments-block"><dd> snip advertisement..</dd><dt>
    </dt><dt id="c4538486543859073586">
    FLA_MEDIC said...</dt><dd>Susan,

You raise important questions, worthy of discussion, although I fear you've strayed somewhat afield of the subject of this particularly blog entry.

The question at hand was `How is Flublogia regarded inside the beltway?", and the gist of my response was `with growing respectability'.

Grading our work, and the work of the various government agencies, is another subject.

I would encourage my readers to visit, and participate in the thread you've started on the Wiki to debate this matter.
    5:20 AM
    </dd><dt id="c6315008149995060326">
    <snip></snip></dt></dl>
    <dl id="comments-block"><dt id="c4136731852184540104"> Florida1 said...</dt><dd>
    </dd><dd>I think the point here is how the "new media" is communicating an important issue such as a potential pandemic. The fact is that we expand the dialog. We are now being accepted into the mainstream of communication vehicles and methodologies.

We can and do reach spheres of influence that are not easily accessible to traditional media.

Are we "the answer" to all social ills and problems? Of course not.

We are part of the information chain and for this reason I applaud all those who have opened doors to us, from governmental agencies, to corporations, to non-profits, and to major international news organizations.

A heart felt thank you to all of the news analysts on all of the "bird flu" sites who are responsible for much of the progress that has been made by the new media.

Our voices are being heard.</dd><dd>
    10:37 AM
    </dd></dl>

Comment

Working...
    X