Rumours, The Media, The Internet and The Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumours, The Media, The Internet and The Experts

I would like to personally thank everyone who participated today in the discussions and investigations regarding the potential human H5N1 case in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The reported case was a rumour that started on another internet forum.

We, of course, became involved as part of our effort to disseminate the truth about H5N1 when it became apparent that this story was spreading on the internet. We feel that it is our obligation to determine whether rumours are fact or fiction as part or our committment to help lessen morbidity and mortality in a potential pandemic. Therefore, Snowy Owl called the ministry of health of
    <st1:State><st1:place>Quebec</st1:place></st1:State> who reported that there was no pediatric patient who had pneumonia in the named hospital. He posted this information here and it was disseminated worldwide

Another one of our members, Henry Niman PhD, became very involved in this developing story as he had some information he believed to be true. He brought this story here and other internet sites including his own, Recombinomics.com, after the rumour was posted on the first site.

We offer our complete support to him in his efforts to illuminate the situation regarding the patient in
    <st1:State><st1:place>Quebec</st1:place></st1:State>. He has made over 3900 posts on this site and educated many on the issues of H5N1 and we deeply appreciate this.

I want to separate the man from the recombination theory that he promotes. I personally do not know if his theory, random mutation, reassortment, or other processes are at work in the evolution of viruses. What I do know is that this man has educated many in the issues of genetics, H5N1, wild birds, geography, WHO procedures, vaccines, sequences, peptides, and numerous other related subjects. Many experts and public health officials have been drawn to this site due to the information and discussion that his posts generate. He is one of a few in the world who have worked for years to educate on the threat of a potential pandemic. It has been a long journey for him. He will be considered one of the leaders of the movement to help lessen mobidity and mortality in a pandemic. We all owe him our thanks for this effort.

Have we seen the last of H5N1 rumours? Hardly. Are we served by those who "knew better"? Or are we better served by those who push, investigate, and question? We will always support those who pursue the knowledge that may save millions. We support "risk takers" whether they are investigating new treatments, vaccines, therapies, or pandemic strategies. We are willing to make mistakes. We support those who dare to care.

Last edited by sharon sanders; November 29, 2006, 10:41 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Rumours, The Media, The Internet and The Experts

Awesome post brother

Comment

Well said!

Comment

I just posted in this thread http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13586

F1 said it much more throughly then my feeble attempt. Very well done!
        "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Hear, hear!

...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thank you very much. The message is inspiring and full of integrity.
            TM

Comment

Thank you, Florida1, for your message. You expressed yourself eloquently, and I am among those who agree with you.

Thank you, Dr. Niman.

UTR
              Last edited by under the radar; November 30, 2006, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Thank you FL1.

Thank you every one involved in the discussions and investigations today.

You have acted well.

Comment

Great post! I could not agree more! Keep up the good work Dr. Niman, and all you 'FluTrackers.'

Comment

well said.

well done.

and welcome, longshots!
                    Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                    Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                    Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                    Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                    Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                    To weave it into fabric..
                    Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                    All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Very eloquent and very respectful. Thank you Florida 1 for all you do. And thanks to Dr. Niman, Snowy Owl and all the rest of the flutrackers!

Comment

Working...
                      X