Media Citation Sept 25th, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Citation Sept 25th, 2006

We are on the information list with PandemicFlu.gov and CIRAP, so we are in good company. The only reason I saw this is that I googled FluTrackers to see what would appear. My only question is - why aren't we listed first. LOL

HEALTH

If pandemic hits, better be prepared

KAREN GARLOCH

kgarloch@charlotteobserver.com

Karen Garloch
    <!-- begin body-content -->Carmen Hooker Odom, North Carolina's top health official, had a confession to make.
    Speaking to more than 400 health-care workers and business leaders at a Sept. 14 conference on pandemic flu preparedness, she described the state's plan and assured everyone it's a high priority.
    Then, after hearing other speakers encourage families to stockpile enough food, water and medicine for prolonged periods of isolation, the N.C. Secretary of Health and Human Services spoke again.
    "I'm going to confess to you ..." Hooker Odom said.
    The audience at Tri-City Baptist Church in Conover seemed to lean forward to hear her secret.
    " ... in terms of my personal family, I have done nothing."
    Hooker Odom promised to go home that night and talk to her husband, state Sen. Fountain Odom, and their six adult children about their family plans in case of a flu pandemic.
    She charged the audience to do the same. "This is a well-educated crowd. How many of you have gone through that with your families?"
    Using hand-held keypads, participants punched in responses. In 10 seconds, their collective answer appeared on giant screens.
    Seventy-nine percent said no.
    Dr. Michael Osterholm, a leading authority on pandemic flu and the keynote speaker, repeated what federal officials have long been saying. When a pandemic occurs -- this year or in 10 years, bird flu or some other strain -- we can't expect the government to rescue us.
    "Every village will be in this together at the same time," said Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.
    In a pandemic, Osterholm expects to be involved, advising health officials and giving interviews. His plan is not to go home. "I will not see my family," he said. They have stockpiled N95 masks -- thicker than surgical masks to keep out airborne viruses -- and have food to last four weeks.
    Planning ahead is a must, he said, because "we will absolutely not have what we need."
    Depending on the severity of the pandemic, Osterholm said, medicines could be in short supply. Grocery stores may not get deliveries of food. Hospitals could run out of masks, gowns and gloves to protect health-care workers caring for the sick. Funeral homes might not have enough caskets to bury the dead.
    "Economic and social disruption will be great," Osterholm said.
    Many people, including health-care workers, may not show up for work. And if they stay home, they'll need food, medicines and water.
    "We will get through it, but it's going to be tough," he said.
    "It's going to be about you," he said. "What have you done for yourselves?"
    For More Information:
    ? PandemicFlu.gov.
    ? Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy, www.cidrap.umn.edu.
    ? FluTrackers.com.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...h/15607515.htm
    <!-- end body-content -->

Re: Media Citation Sept 25th, 2006

Great!

Location isn't bad - the bottom stands out.

I have a nagging question........why aren't we hearing the same prep message in many other countries? Europe, etc.

I only read this message from US, Canada, UK, Autralia, NZ, and ???

I presume others anticipate the government will be distributing food and supplies - as they did in Bulgaria. Can they truly expect that is a realistic option?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Talk about exalted company. Anyone who wants to read more will check us out and consider the forum as reliable given the tacit recommendation.
      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
      Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

This site is such a resource thanks to all, especially Sharon. Congrats on the recognition... Even if you don't seek it out, it's great to have it.

Comment

Working...
        X