• Op-ed: Science writers can help raise knowledge

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle19998156/

OPINION
    Science writers can help raise knowledge
    E. PAUL ZEHR
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Aug. 11 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
    Last updated Monday, Aug. 11 2014, 9:47 PM EDT

The Globe and Mail has sought out columns from thought leaders in Western Canada, people whose influence is shaping debate, but whose names may not be widely recognized.

I am a neuroscientist with a passion for communicating science. Over the past decade, I have been involved in many public communication activities helping to put science in the hands of those who need it most ? every single one of us.

I cannot shake the weight of the words of Carl Sagan (1934 ?1996) who wrote ?? almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster ? sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.? I take his quote as a timely reminder that scientists must be obliged to work toward communicating more effectively with all citizens ? not just other scientists ? of the societies within which we live and work.

We all need some basic skills to critically evaluate and parse what is going on in our world. Knowledge empowers us to question media coverage, government policy and claims we see and hear every day. We have to rely on effective science communication to help condense, synthesize and translate the ever-increasing body of scientific knowledge into general concepts we can integrate and apply in our daily lives...
Working...
X