• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Mask In A Viral Storm?

Any Mask In A Viral Storm?

Cloth Masks used during the 1918 Pandemic

#15,158

Yesterday, for the first time, I wore a (non-medical) face mask in public. I initially felt a little funny doing so, but that passed quickly.

I'm 66, have a few comorbidities that would put me at greater risk from COVID-19, and decided to make my first run to a local grocery store in more than a week, during which time the number of COVID-19 cases in my state had more than tripled.

Although I don't have a lot of faith that wearing a non-fit-tested N95 provides me with much in the way of protection, it did remind me not to touch my face, and it provided me with a modicum of psychological comfort.

And while the official mantra has been that masks are not protective, and should only be worn by those showing symptoms, I find it telling that those countries that encourage (or mandate) the public wearing of masks (Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore) have had the greatest success in slowing community spread of the virus.

Whether that is because the masks are protective, or it helps prevent asymptomatic wearers from spreading the virus, isn't clear. But it does seem to be helping.

Over the past 14 years, I've recommended my readers to keep a small stash of surgical (and even N95) masks in their emergency kits. But after the shortages began to appear in January, and given the need for these types of masks to be reserved for HCWs and 1st responders, I felt I could no longer ethically encourage people acquire them.
    Instead, in late January, in The Man In The Ironed Mask (Revisited), we looked at the pros and cons of the general public making, and wearing, cloth masks.

While cloth masks are far from ideal, the CDC's March 17th Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Facemasks even allows:

HCP use of homemade masks:

In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face.

I know of several nurses who, because of a shortage of PPEs, have resorted to wearing these sorts of homemade masks when in relatively low-risk healthcare environments, thereby reserving `proper PPEs' for riskier exposures.

The idea is picking up steam for the general public, as well. Yesterday, in an interview with KOMO news, epidemiologist Jeffrey Duchin with UW Medicine - who is at the center of the Washington State COVID-19 Outbreak - suggested the idea has some merit.
    Overnight the Washington Post ran a story called:

While cloth masks from places like Amazon are on backorder, anyone who is handy with a sewing machine can find dozens of tutorials on YouTube on how to make cloth face masks, and I've even seen some `glue gun specials', which don't require sewing skills.

With so many people stuck at home, unable to work, this could be a terrific local cottage industry for a lot of people. To either sell (or better yet) to donate to friends and neighbors.

Although no one should think themselves invincible - or even reasonably well protected - by wearing a cloth mask, it isn't an unreasonable thing to do. And it may even help reduce transmission of the virus a little.

As for my small stash of N95s? Although most are over 10 years old and `technically expired', I've donated nearly all of them to an RN I know, who will share them with her co-workers.

I've kept just a few in case I'm called upon to help neighbors who might be sick with the virus. Beyond that, I have a small supply of non-medical paper `dust' masks, and am working on making a cloth mask or two.

Because, despite of the paucity of scientific evidence of efficacy, I have to believe any mask beats no mask in a viral storm.

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2020/...ral-storm.html
    All medical discussions are for educational purposes. I am not a doctor, just a retired paramedic. Nothing I post should be construed as specific medical advice. If you have a medical problem, see your physician.
Working...
X