Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandemic Resilience: Adopt An Essential Worker's Family

Pandemic Resilience: Adopt An Essential Worker's Family

This is a re-working of an essay I first wrote in 2006, updated for COVID-19. I've run variations of it a number of times over the past 14 years because I believe it is important - not only for the essential workers - but for the community as a whole.

#15,093

I know a lot of people simply plan to self-isolate during this COVID-19 pandemic, hunker down at home with a pantry full of rice and beans, and try to avoid infection during the first wave. And if you are over 60, and/or have significant medical issues, it may be worth a try.

But we don't know how long this pandemic wave will last. Are we looking at 8 weeks, 16 weeks, or perhaps longer?

The goal is to `flatten the curve', to extend the pandemic in time, in order to reduce the day-to-day impact on the healthcare system and workforce (see Community Pandemic Mitigation's Primary Goal : Flattening The Curve). If we are successful in that, it means we are in for a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm in the `higher risk' category myself, and so I understand the urge. Few, however, are equipped - logistically, financially, or emotionally - to shelter-in-place for months on end. Some, I'm sure, will try.

But for some people, that won't be an option. Your local LEO’s (law enforcement officers), firefighters, EMT’s, doctors, nurses, hospital and nursing home support staff, social workers, utility workers, National Guard troops, and even mortuary workers won't be able to hunker down and wait out a crisis.

They will be on the front lines. Protecting your city, caring for the sick, and keeping the lights on.

Many of these folks have families to worry about. Others may have pets. They could find themselves quarantined for days or weeks away from home, housed in barracks with other workers so as not to bring the virus home, or even hospitalized with the virus.

It will be a tough job. For some, it could even be the last job they will ever do. Some (hopefully small number) will never return home. And they know that. For most emergency workers, it isn't something they dwell on, but they know it is always a possibility.

Most of the time, the risks they take are relatively small - but during a pandemic - they go up sharply. Many essential workers are in the `high risk' category, and so the risks to them are very real.

The hardest part for them will be leaving their loved ones behind to fend for themselves. Some may decide not to do so, and will refuse to report for work. But most will answer the call (see HCWs Willingness To Work During A Pandemic).

There is something you can do for these folks, that can make their job, and their decision to work easier. You, and your neighborhood can adopt an essential worker.

Well, no so much the worker themselves, but their family.

Think about finding a nurse, or an EMT, or a cop or firefighter in your neighborhood, and introducing yourself. Find ways to support their families during a crisis. And no, it needn't be just for a pandemic. These folks go into harm's way during hurricanes, floods, tornadoes . . . or any other crisis that threatens the community.

These folks will be out there, putting their lives on the line. Knowing their neighbors are watching out for their spouses and kids would mean a great deal to them.

It doesn’t have be a lot. A phone call each day, to check on them. A casserole passed over the fence. A security check of their home. An assurance that, if they run short of supplies, their neighbors will pitch in and donate something.

If you are relatively young, healthy, and willing, you could even offer to watch their kids. Those who are older, or who have comorbidities, will have to carefully consider the risks. But there are a lot of single-parent essential worker households out there, and child care is going to be a huge issue.

There are a thousand ways, large and small, that you can help support these folks, so they can go out and protect your lives and property.

While I'm under no illusions that any of us can completely avoid the risk of infection, if that is a barrier to your helping, you don't have risk exposure in order to participate.

A gift of food or water left on their doorstep. Extending your security perimeter to include your neighbor’s house. Or just a reassuring daily conversation with family members who will be terrified about what their loved ones are going thru in the pursuit of duty.

Your reward will be twofold. You will have done something good for someone, and your community as a whole. And likely, you will receive a certain amount of protection from the people you help. They will know who you are, and will keep an eye out for you and yours, while you help out taking care of theirs.

Think of it as a way to attract a little extra security. Believe me, it never hurts to have a friend on the police force or in the fire department.

Don’t have a neighbor who qualifies?

During a prolonged crisis call your local firehouse, police station, or ambulance service every couple of days (use their non-emergency number) and let them know you’ve got a casserole, or a couple of pies, or a thermos of hot coffee waiting for them on your front porch. I can assure you, they will appreciate it.

Maybe one person can’t make much of a dent. But every little bit will help. And hopefully you can lead your neighbors by example. Because that is how we will get through this pandemic.

You don’t have to put on a uniform to be a hero to your community. You just need to think like one. And act like one.

Pretty soon. You’ll be one.

This is a re-working of an essay  I first wrote in 2006 , updated for COVID-19. I've run variations of it a number of times over the p...
    All medical discussions are for educational purposes. I am not a doctor, just a retired paramedic. Nothing I post should be construed as specific medical advice. If you have a medical problem, see your physician.
Working...
X