• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFD - Pandemic Vaccine Patent Controversy

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Flu Gene Patent Dispute

# 2243

# 2243     A hat tip to Crof over at Crofsblog for picking up on this story, written by new flu blogger Edward Hammond and appearin...

A hat tip to Crof over at Crofsblog for picking up on this story, written by new flu blogger Edward Hammond and appearing in Grain.

US government lays patent claim on bird flu virus

20 August 2008

Published in SUNS #6539 dated 15 August 2008

Bogota, 14 Aug (Edward Hammond*) -- In a development that is likely to raise more pressing questions about reform of the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance Network (GISN), an international patent application has surfaced in which the US Centres for Disease Control (CDC) and US National Institutes of Health claim ownership of Indonesian influenza genes.

A recent patent search has revealed that the CDC, which is a WHO collaborating centre, is applying for a patent for a new vaccine against influenza, particularly for bird flu (H5N1). The vaccine incorporates genes from a H5N1 strain isolated from an Indonesian human victim of bird flu in 2005.

The strain that contains the genes was transferred to the WHO GISN by Indonesia for characterization for public health purposes, but may wind up as the property of the US government.

Under US law, the US government agencies would offer licenses to the technology to pharmaceutical companies. The patent application indicates that the US government intends to pursue the claim in most countries of the world, including Indonesia itself, as well as neighboring countries.

(Continue . . .)

Intellectual property rights and International law are both complex areas that Mr. Hammond apparently plans to address with some regularity on his blog Immunocompetant.

Posted by FLA_MEDIC at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2008/08/flu-gene-patent-dispute.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2008-08-20T08:14:00-04:00">8:14 AM</abbr>

Re: AFD - Pandemic Vaccine Patent Controversy

SophiaZoe's Woodshed

# 2248

SophiaZoe is, by her own admission, peeved.

She has taken exception to an article authored by Edward Hammond (Immunocompetant) and run by TWN that suggests the US has laid a `patent claim on the bird flu virus'.

I will confess that when I read the original article, my eyes glazed over and I moved on to other things. Luckily Flublogia consists of many voices, and SZ decided to delve deeper into this issue.

In Using H5N1 to drive other agendas , the latest entry in A Pandemic Chronicle , SophiaZoe gives us excerpts from the actual patent application, along with her interpretation of what this patent is really all about.

I won't spoil the experience by quoting from it, I'll simply direct you to her blog.

While I'm no expert in these matters, I find SZ's explanation very helpful and far more credible.

And my eyes didn't glaze over, either.

Highly recommended.

Posted by FLA_MEDIC at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2008/08/sophiazoe-woodshed.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2008-08-22T07:56:00-04:00">7:56 AM</abbr>

Comment

Working...
    X