Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesia, Bali: Pregnant H1N1 flu patient dies in Denpasar

Pregnant H1N1 flu patient dies in Denpasar

Luh De Suriyani , The Jakarta Post , Denpasar, Bali | Fri, 09/04/2009 4:05 PM | National

A 19-year-old woman died after being treated for the H1N1 flu virus for almost a week at Sanglah Hospital in Denpasar, Bali.

Ken Wirasandhi, a spokesman from the hospital, said Friday that Ni Wayan Siti of Tampaksiring, Gianyar, died on Thursday night. Ken said the patient, who had tested positive for the H1N1 infection, had also had pneumonia.

Siti was eight months pregnant when she was admitted to the hospital on Saturday last week. She had a miscarriage three days later.

The hospital also suspected that Siti was infected with bird flu, but had yet to receive test results to confirm it.

Separately, chief of the Bali Health Agency I Nyoman Sutedja, said Siti's death was the first H1N1-related death on the resort island. So far, 83 people, 42 of them foreigners, have been treated for the H1N1 virus infection.

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: Indonesia, Bali: Pregnant H1N1 flu patient dies in Denpasar

The hospital also suspected that Siti was infected with bird flu, but had yet to receive test results to confirm it

Let's hope not.
    "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
    "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Whoa! This could be trouble.
      "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Other than the fatal outcome, there doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect bird flu. Perhaps the hospital suspected H5N1 because the illness was so severe?

Comment

In august there were bird flu outbreaks in poultry in the region she comes from, but I feel it is "either or" not "and and". H1N1 seems most likely.
          ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

Given that she was pregnant, I think this is a simple H1N1 fatality.

Has anyone ever been infected with H5N1 while pregnant?

Comment

Originally posted by alert View Post

Comment

Originally posted by alert View Post

yes, and unfortunately the babies usually don't make it.

Comment

Jakarta Post picks up the story- again - no confirmation yet.

Deadly H1N1 virus claims another life in Bali

Luh De Suriyani , The Jakarta Post , Denpasar | Mon, 09/07/2009 1:41 PM | Bali

The Sanglah Central Hospital in Bali has reported another death from the deadly H1N1 flu that has been spreading across Indonesia.

The hospital's attending physicians said Friday that Ni Wayan Siti, 19, died from the virus last Thursday night.

Siti was the latest fatal victim of the H1N1 flu, taking the nationwide death toll to six.

Laboratory results confirmed the young woman had contracted the H1N1 virus.

"We are still waiting for the results from the additional laboratory tests because there are indications that she had also contracted the H5N1 *avian flu* virus," the hospital's avian flu mitigation team secretary Ken Wirasandhi said Friday.

He said the patient had died from multiple organ failure.

In order to prevent the further spread of the virus, the hospital's team took over the duty of the victim's family to cleanse and wrap the deceased's body in a burial shroud.

"We also have specifically asked the family not to open the shroud to prevent any possible infection," he added.

The victim was a resident of Tampaksiring village in Gianyar regency.

She was admitted to Sanglah Central Hospital, the largest medical facility on the island, on Aug. 29, 2009.

She was eight months pregnant at the time.

However three days after she was admitted, her unborn baby died.

The attending physicians said the baby died from an oxygen deficiency.

Siti was having breathing difficulty at that time and apparently the condition affected her baby.

Separately, Bali health agency head I Nyoman Sutedja said he had yet to receive the laboratory results for Siti.

"I haven't received the official results yet. But, I have been informed the victim lived in close proximity to a fowl population and that some of those fowls had suddenly died recently," he said.

So far, the island's hospitals have treated a total of 83 individuals in H1N1-related cases, 42 of which were foreigners.

The resort island's health authority has never released official figures about the number of positive H1N1 cases, claiming that such authority lies with the Health Ministry in Jakarta.

By Aug. 23, the ministry recorded 57 new cases of H1N1 flu, taking the country's total number of confirmed cases to 1,005 in over 24 provinces across the country.

The director general of disease control and environmental health at the ministry, Tjandra Yoga Aditama, said the ministry was still taking all precautionary measures to prevent any further cases.

The World Health Organization has confirmed hundreds of deaths globally from the H1N1 virus, which has spread to 160 countries, but health experts say the figure does not reflect the true number of people killed by the virus.

The Sanglah Central Hospital in Bali has reported another death from the deadly H1N1 flu that has been spreading across Indonesia

Comment

Was this ever resolved one way or the other?
                    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Dep of Health in Indonesia stopped updating.

Also not much news on H1N1 (or H5N1...) coming out of Indonesia.

Just guessing, but may be because the current Minister of Health is on the "red list" of the re-elected president, who is in the process of appointing new ministers. It seems Supari will not come back.

So may be everybody is carefull, and watches carefully what will happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X