• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonground
    replied
    Re: INDONESIA - Garut Cluster Part II

From your commentary:

"The patients have been confirmed to be H5N1 positive, but they are linked to family members who died as early as July 31."

Dr. Niman, I think you need to have "not" inserted in this sentence? [patients have not been confirmed....]. Unless I missed the confirmations?

laidback Al at 12:15"

With the admission of the young boy to the hospital, the official number of people suspected of having contracted bird flu released by the health office stood at 10

Leave a comment:

• HenryN
    replied

Commentary at

Leave a comment:

• Harriet
    replied
    Re: Indonesian Woman Dies of Bird Flu, Cluster Feared

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Niko, if it helps, I have a notation that it's spelled Jojok/Jojoh

Leave a comment:

• Harriet
    replied
    Indonesian Woman Dies of Bird Flu, Cluster Feared

Contributed by Tom Harrison| 20 August, 2006 19:06 GMT

Confirmation that a 35-year-old Indonesia woman who died last week was infected with the H5N1 virus has stoked concern that a new bird flu cluster case may have emerged in the country. Tests have confirmed that an a 35-year-old Indonesian woman, Euis Lina, died last week of bird flu, health officials have announced. H5N1 infections in twelve other residents of the Cikelet subdistrict of West Java are confirmed or suspected, according to numerous press reports.Two weeks ago, Lina's nine-year-old daughter died after becoming ill with similar symptoms, but authorities have not confirmed bird flu in her case.

Health officials are monitoring Cikelet for any signs that the disease might be spreading from person to person, a situation that could spark a pandemic. Clusters of cases heighten that possibility.

The situation is especially worrisome because of Cikelet's location about 90 miles from Jakarta -- the largest city in Indonesia, with a population close to 9 million.

Seven members of a Sumatra Island family died of the H5N1 virus in May. That was the largest known cluster case to date. Although limited human-to-human transmission probably took place in that case, the World Health Organization concluded that the disease did not spread beyond that family group.

At this point, officials believe that the infected individuals in Cikelet contracted the virus from sick birds -- H5N1 is known to be endemic among poultry in the region.

Lina's death brings the total number of bird flu fatalities in Indonesia to 46 -- 34 of them having occurred this year. The country has been hit harder by the disease than any other in the world, with millions of birds -- mostly chickens and ducks -- known to be infected with the virus.

Bird flu has killed at least 141 people worldwide since late 2003. After Indonesia, Vietnam has been worst-affected, with 42 deaths. However, no case has emerged in Vietnam this year, according to the WHO.

The Indonesian government claims it is doing everything possible to combat bird flu in Cikelet by slaughtering poultry there and distributing antiviral drugs to villagers for free. However, it says it cannot afford to mount a campaign of widespread slaughter of poultry in the country.

While criticism mounts that Indonesia is not doing enough to prevent a pandemic from starting there, government officials have complained that the international community has not contributed to the effort.

Leave a comment:

• Niko
    replied

Garut, W Java (ANTARA News) - Director General of Infectious Diseases Eradication and Environment Health (P3L) at the ministry of health I Nyoman Kandun on the sidelines of leading the combing of bird flu endemic areas in Cikelet subdistrict, Garut, West Java, on Sunday, distributed books on prevention of the disease on Sunday.

A total of 200 copies had been distributed to elementary school students who also attended the familiarization of measures to prevent being infected with the disease.

The official briefed local officials and religious leaders on the issue.

Meanwhile local health officials took a blood sample of Euis Lina`s family, Lina (35), a resident of Kampung Pasir, died of bird flu on August 17, 2006. They also waited for the development of the condition of bird flu suspect Gilang Kencana (14).

Gilang is still treated in the Pameungpeuk health center.

Yana (50) of Cipicung village was treated at Dr Slamet hospital since Saturday night for bird flu symptoms.

Umar bin Aup (18) who has been treated in the hospital since Saturday 2006 for bird flu symptions, is recovered.(*)

COPYRIGHT ? 2006 ANTARA

August 21, 2006
    http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=18557
    Pameungpeuk is located here on Google Earth: "Pameungpeuk" lat=-7.611202, lon=107.672401

Cikelet is located here per http://www.earthsearch.net/intSearch.php

Name - click for world map location Country Type Latitude Longitude
    Cikelet ID PPL -7.2833333 108.7
    Cikelet ID PPL -7.6 107.6666667

I am still trying to find Jojok - only results so far are outside of Garut

Leave a comment:

• Laidback Al
    replied

Geographic locations of several places in Garut

original name: Cikelet
    geographical location: Garut, Jawa Barat, Indonesia, Asia
    geographical coordinates: 7? 36' 0" South, 107? 40' 0" East

original name: Cigadog
    geographical coordinates: 7? 13' 0" South, 107? 59' 0" East

original name: Pameungpeuk
    geographical coordinates: 7? 38' 0" South, 107? 43' 0" East
    http://www.maplandia.com/indonesia/jawa-barat/garut/

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Thanks Milo, I didn't see Niman's post earlier. And it says Garut.

Leave a comment:

• Milo
    replied

It would not be good if he came from outside the Cikelet area. Bad enough to have another case in Cikelet. Not good to have a case in a nearby area. I've seen no mention of where exactly he came from. I've only seen him mentioned in the context of Cikelet cases, with no caveats whatsoever. But that doesn't necessarily means he's not from another area. hmm.

Leave a comment:

• Milo
    replied

I first heard something about Gilang this morning. Niman has a link that mentions Gilang above at 12:04

The link to the source is here:

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=22572

Since the article's about cases in Cikelet, I'm guessing this is a new case.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Here is a map from Theresa42 at CurEvents. It shows the villages in Garut. And Pameungpeuk is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

O.K. so we got that straight. Now this next case, may be in Java, not in Garut? This person is not on my list for the Garut Cluster. I'm not familiar with this Village.....

The team penyisiran the endemic area of the bird flu virus personally currently is waiting for the development of the condition Gilang Kencana [in ToggleText-ese ?Gilang Gold?] (14), suspect bird flu that currently still in the maintenance in the Pameungpeuk Community Health Centre.

Leave a comment:

• Milo
    replied

Commonground. Yes, I think so. It seems to say Yana's still in the isolation space, but Risma's gone home. I imagine that means Risma's getting better, but that isn't explicitly said.

Leave a comment:

• Commonground
    replied

Milo, I interpreted this to mean Yana is still in RSU? No?

"In the meantime Yana (50), the citizen of the Village Cipicung the Rancasalak Cikelet Village that arrived in RSU isolation space Dr Slamet Garut on Saturday night around struck 18.30 WIB up to now still in the maintenance. Yana it was mentioned experienced the sign like suspect bird flu."

Leave a comment:

• Milo
    replied

The first half of this article is about someone (a regional health manager, IIRC) handing out BF information in Cikelet. Then it goes on with the other activity of this manager during his visit to the area.

Has an update on Yana (50), Risma (4F) -- who seems to have been taken home. Also has more information on the new case of Gilang Kencana (14M).

http://www.mediaindo.co.id/berita.asp?id=109303

The other activity including witnessing the taking of the sample of blood from the family late Euis Lina (35), the citizen of the Sand Village of Gambir RT02/06 Cigadog Cikelet that died in RSU Dr Slamet Garut to last August 17 around struck 21.45 WIB, and later was known late positive bird flu.

The team penyisiran the endemic area of the bird flu virus personally currently is waiting for the development of the condition Gilang Kencana [in ToggleText-ese ?Gilang Gold?] (14), suspect bird flu that currently still in the maintenance in the Pameungpeuk Community Health Centre.

Whereas Umar bin Aup (18) that could be treated in RSU Dr Slamet Garut to last August 9 and could be stated positive bird flu currently is restored and dinyakan the bird flu negative.

In the meantime Yana (50), the citizen of the Village Cipicung the Rancasalak Cikelet Village that arrived in RSU isolation space Dr Slamet Garut on Saturday night around struck 18.30 WIB up to now still in the maintenance. Yana it was mentioned experienced the sign like suspect bird flu.

Whereas Risma (4), the citizen of the Village of Table Sand of RT. 08/05 Cikelet was brought came home by his family on Sunday morning (20/8) around struck 09.00 WIB, in fact he was just treated in RSU isolation space Dr Slamet on Saturday at dawn struck 01.30 WIB.

Placed on the agenda on Monday (21/8) directors general P3L visited several villages in the Cikelet Village, around 130 km the south direction the centre of the Garut city as well as other villages that were expected endemic the bird flu virus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X