Dec 14-17;

Screened: 16,857
    Tamiflu: 855
    Admitted: 47
    In Hospital (12/17): 22 suspect, 1 confirmed, 1 on ventilator
    Positives: 0
    Fatalities: 0

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 522 this wave, total 938

Dec 1-23;

Screened: 25,765
      Tamiflu: 1,467
      Admitted: 70
      In Hospital (12/23): 17 suspect, 0 confirmed, 0 on ventilator

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Dec 24-31;

Screened: 31,279
        Tamiflu: 1,645
        Admitted: 81
        In Hospital (12/31): 22 suspect, 0 confirmed, 0 on ventilator
        Positives: 3

Comment

Jan 1-9;

Screened: 31,098
          Tamiflu: 1,504
          Admitted: 92
          In Hospital (1/9): 16 suspect, 1 confirmed, 3 on ventilator
          Positives: 7

Comment

On Feb 8 Maharashtra switched from Daily to Weekly reporting.

Here's what's been happening from Jan 10-Feb 8;

Screened: 105,126
            Tamiflu: 4,342
            Admitted: 254
            In Hospital (2/8): 15 suspect, 1 confirmed, 0 on ventilator
            Positives: 2

The link has also provided much demographic and clinical information (pages 20-21) some of which I have represented graphically here. The link also includes information on onset/ admission/ administration of Tamiflu/ duration of treatment etc.

Fatalities by age;
            Click image for larger version

Name:	age.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	653038

Comorbidities;
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Comorbidity.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	653039

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 522 this wave, total 938 - demographic & clinical data released

Reports from Feb 9-15 released today. 1 new fatality recorded on Feb 10.

939. Ujwala Amolkar Diyama F 22 07.02.11 08.02.11 H1N1+ve Civil Hosp., Parbhani Parbhani Rural

From Feb 9-15;

Screened: 15,975
              Tamiflu: 579
              Admitted: 27
              In Hospital (2/15): 10 suspect, 1 confirmed, 0 on ventilator
              Positives: 1
              Fatalities: 1

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 523 this wave, total 939 - demographic & clinical data released

Man succumbs to H1N1 virus, doctors say no cause for panic

Bacil Vanjare, 40, of Pimple Gurav, died of H1N1 virus (swine flu) at Sahyadri Munot Hospital on Monday. Doctors at the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) and Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) said a few random cases were likely to occur as this was the post-endemic phase.

While the throat swab sample was not sent to National Institute of Virology (NIV) for testing, a private laboratory, Religare, confirmed that it had tested positive for the H1N1 virus, said Dr Anil Roy, medical officer, PCMC.

Health authorities said Vanjare was suffering from fever and had experienced breathing trouble on February 16. He was admitted to More Hospital and was shifted to Sahyadri Munot Hospital on February 17. His throat swab was sent for tests and the sample tested positive for H1N1 virus on February 18.

This is the first reported swine flu death this year and according to experts at National Institute of Virology, sporadic cases are likely to occur. NIV deputy director Dr MS Chadda said they receive random samples from Pune and other places for examination of the H1N1 virus.

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 523 this wave, total 939 - demographic & clinical data released

The same attitude as shown in the snippet below is prevalent in India for many disease outbreaks - private hospital cases are simply not counted. It will be of interest to see if this most recent fatality is added to the official State count.

Swine flu's down but not out: Docs
                  By: Alifiya Khan

Doubting PCMC
                  In spite of doctors asking the healthcare sector to not ignore the fact that there could be sporadic cases of swine flu, civic authorities did not seem to be particularly concerned.

Medical director of Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation Dr Rajshekhar Iyyer said he was not taking Tuesday's death "too seriously" as the man's medical test was conducted by a private laboratory and not the National Institute of Virology (NIV).

"Had the NIV notified this case, it would be okay, but a private laboratory has tested him and we don't know how genuine it is,
                  " Iyyer said. "Besides, so many people die of respiratory infections every day and H1N1 is just another respiratory illness. There has been one death after October 4, so I don't think it is any reason to worry. It is just a sporadic event, nothing too serious."

Comment

940. Bacil Philiprao Vanjare M 44 17.02.11 21.02.11 H1N1+ve Sahyadri Munot Hosp., Pune P.C.M.C.

From Feb 16-28;

Screened: 27,718
                    Tamiflu: 997
                    Admitted: 39
                    In Hospital (2/28): 9 suspect, 1 confirmed, 0 on ventilator
                    Positives: 2

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 524 this wave, total 940 - demographic & clinical data released

941. Bacil Philiprao Vanjare M 44 17.02.11 21.02.11 H1N1+ve Sahyadri Munot Hosp., Pune P.C.M.C.

From March 1-March 24;

Screened: 50,372
                      Tamiflu: 1,188
                      Admitted: 65
                      In Hospital (3/24): 2 suspect, 1 confirmed, 0 on ventilator

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 525 this wave, total 941

Final report for this reporting period. New reporting period starts April 1.

Cumulative totals for Maharashtra from April 1 2010 to March 31 2011;

Screened: 1,973,730
                        Tamiflu: 291,823
                        Tested positive: 4,704
                        Admitted to hospital: 19,650
                        Fatalities: 525

Currently in hospital (March 31) 3 suspect, 1 confirmed, 1 on ventilator.

Comment

• Re: महाराष्ट्र Fatalities in Maharashtra 525 this wave, total 941

Surge in H1N1 deaths alarms docs

Experts worldwide might well have concluded that H1N1 has run its course , but closer home the deadly virus continues to take its toll. It claimed more lives in Maharashtra in 2010-2011 than any other infectious disease , including malaria , dengue , chikungunya and encephalitis , according to figures collated by the state government.

Between April last year and March this year , 525 people died in the state after contracting H1N1, while 185 fell to malaria. Of these, the most swine flu deaths?221?occurred in the Pune region.

Mumbai was more fortunate. While the city witnessed a steady flow of swine flu cases?1 ,145 patients tested positive during the period?the death toll stood at 39. Equally importantly, most of Mumbai's fatalities happened in 2010.

The statewide death toll in 2010-11 have caused some concern in the medical fraternity since it is 26 % more than the 415 deaths that occurred in 2009-10, the period when the H1N1 pandemic broke out and peaked.

Dr Om Srivastava, an infectious diseases consultant with Jaslok Hospital , said a lot needs to be understood and learnt about the virus' behaviour . "A notable trend was that the virus had shifted to the rural areas from the cities," he said. "One could call it a migrating pattern of the virus ."

Yet, the government feels confident that the H1N1 virus no longer poses a major public health threat . "The threat from swine flu is negligible , but our vigilance machinery is still very much active ," said Dr Daksha Shah , head of the BMC's epidemiology cell.

Dr DS Dakhure , head of state health services , confirmed that swine flu was the biggest killer of all infectious diseases in Maharashtra in 2010-11 . But he was quick to point out that not many deaths occurred this year. Dakhure expressed hope that the virus "will be less virulent from now on".

"There is little study or observation to explain why the virus claimed more lives last year than in 2009 , when it was wildly spreading," he said.

The state figures also show that more women have fallen victim to H1N1 than men. Of the 525 lives lost in 2010-11, 308 were women. Around 50 children have died of swine flu during the same period. Dr A C Mishra , director of National Institute of Virology , explained that the infection rate is less in the post-pandemic period since there is immunity within the community ; still, the virus can prove to be lethal for some.

"The virus has not gone away . It has just taken on the behaviour of a seasonal virus and will continue to circulate in the air ," said Mishra . "About 20 to 40% of the population in some areas has been infected and thereby they has some immunity , but vulnerable sections should be on guard."

Experts worldwide might well have concluded that H1N1 has run its course , but closer home the deadly virus continues to take its toll.

Comment

Working...
                          X