Media Report of MERS fatality in Kerala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Report of MERS fatality in Kerala

Shiloh found this news report - I think it's in Malayalam but seems to be reporting a fatal case in a person who returned from the Haj to Thiruvananthapuram. http://www.onlinenewsvideo.net/woman...bdfc5b856.html Any links to english language reports for confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Kerala did report a suspected case several days ago. I do not know if this is the same person -

Warning as Suspected MERS Case Reported in Dist
    By Express News Service - KOZHIKODE Published: 09th May 2014 09:20 AM Last Updated: 09th May 2014 09:20 AM

The district authorities have sounded an alert following a suspected case of MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) disease being reported in Kozhikode.

Officials say that they have already opened an isolated ward at the Government Beach Hospital to meet any emergency.

Earlier, a woman who arrived from Saudi Arabia with symptoms of MERS, had been admitted to a private hospital in the city. Medical officials said that the woman, aged 57, who arrived at the Karipur airport with symptoms of the disease was taken directly to the hospital and her blood samples were sent to the Manipal Medical College lab for examination.

Dr Sabu, Additional District Medical Officer, says that there is no need to panic. “At present no confirmed case of MERS has been reported from anywhere in the district. However, as a precautionary measure, we have opened an isolated ward at the Beach Hospital,” he says.
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle2213761.ece
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Media Report of MERS fatality in Kerala

General Hospital Getting Equipped
    By Express News Service Published: 19th May 2014 09:14 AM Last Updated: 19th May 2014 09:14 AM

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: With the Health Department issuing a warning against the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), the District Medical Office (DMO) is all set to deal with patients who have Mers-CoV symptoms.

‘’With the potential threat of MERS-CoV infections surfacing in the State, directives have been issued to all the doctors and health workers in the district for a stricter surveillance of respiratory and influenza-like illnesses,’’ DMO K M Sirabudeen said.

The warning has been issued based on an alert issued by the Director-General of Health Services. However, he said that there was no cause for any panic as no such cases have been confirmed in the state.

Pointing out that one suspected death of MERS-CoV had been reported from the district, he said that the General Hospital here is being equipped to admit MERS-CoV patients, if needed.
    http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2232358.ece
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Media Report of MERS fatality in Kerala

KERALA

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, May 19, 2014
      Updated: May 19, 2014 11:48 IST
      Hospitals to step up infection control

C. MAYA

More number of suspected MERS cases reported across the State

More cases clinically suspected to be Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) have begun to be reported by doctors following increased surveillance of severe acute respiratory illnesses (SARI) across the State .

Hospitals should put in enhanced infection control practices and encourage the use of personal protection equipment (PPE) for all its health workers as the possibility of MERS transmission is high within hospital settings.
      Meanwhile, on Friday, the death of a 52-year-old woman at the Thiruvananthapuram Medical College Hospital, who had returned from the Middle East with typical symptoms of MERS and severe broncho-pneumonia, has had MCH reviewing its preparedness to meet a situation when more suspect cases could be referred here.
      The virologic samples — throat swabs and lower respiratory tract fluids — have been sent to Manipal and the results are awaited. Health officials said that as a lab-confirmed case of MERS is yet to be reported in the country, any suspect case would be extensively investigated by NIV Pune. The confirmation, if any, will be formally announced by the Union Health Ministry.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle6024790.ece

Comment

Working...
      X