X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India: Tamil Nadu reports first case of Zika virus

Tamil Nadu reports first case of Zika virus

Pushpa Narayan | TNN | Jul 10, 2017, 05.50 PM IST

CHENNAI: The first case of Zika in Tamil Nadu was reported from a sleepy hamlet in Krishnagiri district by the state public health authorities on Monday, nearly two months after the World Health Organization confirmed such cases in India.
    Blood samples of a 28-year-old tailor, a resident of Natranpalayam Panchayat who reported to the Anchetty primary health center with complaints of fever, redness in the eye, photophobia, skin rashes and joint pain, was confirmed to be positive for Zika virus by labs, including National Institute of Virology in Pune.

Tamil Nadu man tests positive for Zika, recovers completely
    Zubeda Hamid JULY 10, 2017 17:53 IST
    UPDATED: JULY 10, 2017 18:30 IST

Approximately, 200 suspected cases of the virus were tested at King Institute of Preventive Medicine and Research, Chennai, and this is the first one that has tested positive.

A 27-year-old person from Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu has tested positive for the Zika virus, State Health Secretary J. Radhakrishnan said at a review meeting on Monday. The patient has recovered completely and doing well, he added.

The patient is from N. Puttur, Natrampalayam panchayat, and was treated as an outpatient at a primary health centre. He had developed fever, headache, redness of the eyes and weakness. All routine investigations for Dengue, Chikungunya and Leptospirosis tested negative. The case was diagnosed on July 1.
    Approximately, 200 suspected cases of the virus were tested at King Institute of Preventive Medicine and Research, Chennai, and this is the first one that has tested positive.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Now, one Zika case reported from Tamil Nadu
    BY PRASAD RAVINDRANATHPOSTED ON JULY 10, 2017

?There seems to be low-level transmission going on in India for years. Nobody has been looking for this virus in India till we saw the virus causing microcephaly in newborns in Brazil. We have tested nearly 40,000 samples so far but picked up only three cases in Ahmedabad and now one in Tamil Nadu,? says Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Director-General of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). ?It is possible that we may pick up more cases from different parts of the country, which would indicate that the virus is present in India.? Zika virus was first reported in India in the 1950s.

?We don?t know why the Zika virus has not caused the same problems like microcephaly in newborns and Guillain-barre syndrome in adults as seen in Brazil. It could be because the virus is different or due to host immunity [people already exposed to the virus and have developed immunity to the virus] or other factors. These are not fully understood,? Dr. Swaminathan says.

?It is early stage to speculate about the epidemiology and disease profile of Zika,? she says.

Screening for birth defects and microcephaly in newborns and Guillain-barre syndrome has just started. ?A year from now we will have more data,? Dr. Swaminathan says
    There seems to be low-level transmission of Zika virus in India After three adults tested positive for Zika virus in Ahmedabad district, Gujarat in January this year, an adult male from Krishnagiri…
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

TN/KRI/2017/28/1023 Tamil Nadu Krishnagiri Zika Virus
      Disease 01 case 00 07-07-17 11-07-17 Under
      Surveillance
      Cases reported from Village N.Pudur, HSC
      Bathigoundanur, Block Thally. DistrictRRT
      investigated the outbreak. House to house survey
      done.1 urine sample tested at MCVR, Manipal,
      was found positive for ZVD. 04 blood serum
      samples collected sent to Manipal centre of Virus
      Research, result awaited. All cases treated
      symptomatically. Health education given.

Comment

Working...
      X