Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India Heat deaths 2019; 216+ fatalities

Heatwave Kills 40 In Bihar In A Day; Encephalitis Deaths Rise To 82

Bihar Heatwave: Most heatwave deaths have been reported from Aurangabad, Gaya and Nawada. Twenty seven people died in Aurangabad alone.
    All India | Reported by Manish Kumar, Edited by Swati Bhasin (with inputs from ANI) | Updated: June 16, 2019 15:51 IST

The country is witnessing its worst heatwave this year
    Heatwave killed more than 40 people in Bihar on Saturday. The state is already grappling with Acute Encephalitis Syndrome outbreak in Muzzafurpur that has killed 82 children this month.
    Most heatwave deaths have been reported from Aurangabad, Gaya and Nawada. Twenty seven people died in Aurangabad alone.

Dr Surendra Prasad Singh, a doctor at one of Aurangabad's state-run hospital, said number of deaths in the district is likely to rise. "Many people were undergoing treatment at different hospitals in the district. All the people who died were suffering from high-temperature fever," Dr Singh told news agency ANI.

In Gaya, 12 people died due to heat stroke.

Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan called the deaths in Gaya "unfortunate".
    Heatwave killed more than 40 people in Bihar on Saturday. The state is already grappling with Acute Encephalitis Syndrome outbreak in Muzzafurpur that has killed 82 children this month.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

36 Die in India Heat Wave, Delhi Records Its Highest All-Time Temperature
    Olivia Rosane Jun. 13, 2019 06:38AM EST CLIMATE

Four elderly pilgrims died while riding in a non-air-conditioned train car as India's deadly heat wave continues, The Times of India reported Tuesday.

The four, aged between 69 and 81, had been returning from the holy city of Varanasi to Kerala in the south, The Independent reported. Railway official Manoj Kumar said they collapsed in their carriage and were pronounced dead by doctors waiting at the Jhansi station.

The deaths come as the total number of fatalities in one of India's most intense and longest-lasting heat waves has reached at least 36, The New York Times reported Wednesday. Temperatures have soared to 50.6 degrees Celsius (123 degrees Fahrenheit), and the high temperatures are expected to impact 23 states this year, up from nine in 2015 and 19 in 2018, India's National Disaster Management Authority expert Anup Kumar Srivastava said.
    Four elderly pilgrims died while riding in a non-air-conditioned train car as India's deadly heat wave continues. The four, aged between 69 and 81, had been returning from the holy city of Varanasi to Kerala in the south. A railway official said they collapsed in their carriage and were pronounced dead by doctors waiting at the Jhansi station.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Heatwave claims 61 lives in Bihar
      22:29 HRS IST
      (Eds: Updates death toll, adds detail)

Patna, Jun 16 (PTI) At least 61 people have died in three districts of Bihar as a blistering heatwave swept several places in the state, officials said on Sunday.

Thirty people have lost their lives due to the sweltering heat in Aurangabad, while 20 have died in Gaya and 11 in Nawada district so far since Saturday, Disaster Management Department's Principal Secretary Pratyaya Amrit said.

Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has expressed grief over the deaths due to "loo" and heatstroke in the three districts, and has announced a payment of Rs four lakh as ex-gratia to the next of kin of those killed, an official release said.

He directed the officials concerned to take necessary steps and measures in dealing with the heat.

Comment

Bihar Heatwave kills 29 more in Bihar, death toll up to 78
        IANS | Patna
        Last Updated at June 17, 2019 16:10 IS

Severe heatwave killed 29 more people in Bihar in the past 24 hours, taking the death toll over the past two days to 78, official said on Monday. However unofficially, the heatwave has claimed more than 150 lives in across a dozen districts.

Deaths were reported from Aurangabad, Gaya, Nawada and Jamui districts, where temperatures hovered around 45 degrees Celsius on June 15 and 16.

According to the State Disaster Management Department website, some 78 deaths had been recorded till 11 a.m. on Monday. Of these, Aurangabad recorded 33 deaths, Gaya 31, Nawada 12 and Jamui 2.

Comment

Heat wave, encephalitis kill hundreds in Indian state of Bihar Govt struggles to deal with extreme temperatures and outbreak of deadly brain inflammation disease Heat wave, encephalitis kill hundreds in Indian state of Bihar

ucanews.com reporter, Bhopal
          India
          June 18, 2019
          A heat wave and an encephalitis outbreak have together claimed more than 200 lives in India?s Bihar state.
          At least 103 children died after an outbreak of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in the eastern state?s Muzaffarpur district alone. Another 100 people have reportedly died in the heat wave that has swept the state over the past three days, media reported quoting government sources June 17.
          ?It is a very tough situation. We don?t know how to deal with it,? said Archbishop William D?Souza of Patna, based in the state capital.
          Some media reports put the death toll at 250 and said the worst-affected areas are Aurangabad, Gaya and Nawada districts.

Comment

May 31 -
            Maharashtra: 8
            Andhra Pradesh: 3
            Telangana: 17
            Kerala: 4
            8 people in Maharashtra, 22 in Telangana and 3 in Andhra have died from extreme heat - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

India's heatwave turns deadly
            Over 180 people killed in eastern state of Bihar, which is witnessing the second-longest heatwave on record.

18 Jun 2019

A heatwave in the eastern Indian state of Bihar has killed 184 people this season, 78 since Saturday, according to figures released by the country's disaster management authorities.

The country's second-longest heatwave on record prompted authorities in the state's Gaya district to impose curfew-like restrictions during the extreme heat of the day.
            Over 180 people killed in eastern state of Bihar, which is witnessing the second-longest heatwave on record.

Comment

Working...
            X