India Encephalitis 2018; 702 fatalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encephalitis deaths drop by 66% in East UP in 2018
    While a big vaccination drive was launched for JE, a massive sanitation and information campaign was launched this year to check cases of AES, which has no vaccine.
    By Aman Sharma, ET Bureau

NEW DELHI: In some relief to the Yogi Adityanath government, deaths due to encephalitis dropped in the 14 most-affected East Uttar Pradesh districts by over 66% last year from 2017 when such deaths had dominated the headlines.

UP?s Health Minister Sidharth Nath Singh informed the UP assembly in a written answer on Monday that 187 people died due to encephalitis in 2018 against 553 such deaths in 2017. The number of encephalitis cases reported in 14 districts of East UP also dropped from ..

Read more at:
    //economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/68051563.cms?utm_source=twitter_web&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialsharebuttons&utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Uttar Pradesh
      Just came across this news report from November of 2018. The allegation is that while BRD hospital in Gorakhpur reported 111 deaths to August, the actual number was 218 and that fatalities from community health care locations were not included in the state tally.
      https://www.news18.com/news/ivideos/...e-1945011.html
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• some other finds....

BRD Medical College, 268 people died of encephalitis in 10 months
        December 2, 2018 by Gorakhpur News Line 1 min read
        BRD Medical College Gorakhpur
        Gorakhpur Despite all the claims of the government, Uttar Pradesh Khaskar from Encephalitis (JE / AES) is not able to curb the death of children in Purvanchal. At BRD Medical College, 268 people have died in 10 months from January to October this year.

According to data received from January 1 to October 31, 948 encephalitis patients were admitted to BRD Medical College during this period, in which 268 died. The patients admitted here are from Gorakhpur, Maharajganj, Kushinagar, Deoria, Basti, Siddharthnagar, Santakbirnagar, Mau, Gonda, Ghazipur, Balrampur, Ballia, Azamgarh, besides Bihar and Nepal.

The number of encephalitis patients has decreased compared to the last four years but the death rate is much higher this year. The death rate this year is 28.27 per cent as compared to 28.15 in 2014, 25.33 in 2015, 26.16 in 2016 and 22.69 per cent in 2017.

Analyzing the data of encephalitis patients admitted to BRD Medical College from January 1 to October 31, it is found that the district most affected by encephalitis is Gorakhpur. So far this year, there are 256 cases of Gorakhpur alone in 948 cases of encephalitis reported in BRD Medical College. That means 27 percent of the total patients. Four districts of Gorakhpur division - Gorakhpur, Deoria, Kushinagar and Maharajganj, are the most affected by encephalitis. In BRD Medical College, the number of patients from these four districts is more than 64 percent. Apart from this, a large number of encephalitis patients are coming from BRD Medical College from Bihar as well. By October, 101 patients with encephalitis were admitted to BRD Medical College from Bihar.

Comment

Working...
        X