• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The diagnostic lens: on encephalitis
    DECEMBER 28, 2017 00:04 IST
    UPDATED: DECEMBER 27, 2017 23:35 IST

It?s time doctors updated their understanding of encephalitis
    A paper in the Indian journal Current Science suggests an unexpected cause for the inflammatory brain disease ? encephalitis ? found in Malkangiri district of Odisha. For many years, this recurring outbreak, which killed over 100 children last year, was thought to be due to the Japanese encephalitis (JE) virus. Now researchers say it was likely due to the consumption of a wild bean, called Bada Chakunda, which grows freely in the region.
    Why does this keep happening? One answer is that JE was indeed the biggest cause of encephalitis in India for decades, and today the public health diagnostic machinery is built around this illness. But as JE vaccination rates have grown, incidence has shrunk, and a host of other causes of encephalitis, like dengue, scrub typhus, herpes simplex and the West Nile virus, have emerged to the forefront. Yet, investigating agencies such as the National Centre for Disease Control and the National Institute of Virology have persisted in focussing on JE. Another problem is the archaic format in which encephalitis is reported to the government. This too is a relic of the pre-JE-vaccination era. Under this format, if an encephalitis case cannot be confirmed as JE, doctors tag it as Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), a term that has now crept into medical literature. But AES is no diagnosis, just a temporary label for different unnamed diseases.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Death of a young man with brain fever
      Publish Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 03:00 AM (IST) | Updated Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 03:00 AM (IST)

Kannauj, Vishunagarh: The victim suffering from brain fever died during treatment. After reaching the body of the village, there was a loud noise in the family.

Rajesh Nath son of village Dera Jogi resident Sunny (20) of Thana area was suffering from fever 15 days ago. If the local doctors were not cured, the family moved to Kanpur. There was no relief for four days of treatment. After this he was taken to Saifai Etawah. Here the doctors at the Medical College have admitted to the ICU on the report of brain fever. Treatment was done for 10 days but it did not get any benefit. He died late on Thursday evening. After this, the relatives of the family reached the village. A crowd of people was near their house since Friday morning. Sunny was the eldest of the three brothers.

By Jagran
      संवाद सूत्र, विशुनगढ़ : दिमागी बुखार से पीड़ित युवक ने उपचार के दौरान दम तोड़ दिया। शव गां
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• From week 49 IDSP report: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/492017.pdf

CT/SBT/2017/49/1650 Chhattisgarh Dantewada Japanese
        Encephalitis 01 case 01 fatality 02-12-17 04-12-17 Under
        Surveillance
        Cases reported from PHC Pondum, SHC Gadapal
        Patelpara, Block Dantewada. District RRT
        investigated the outbreak. House to house survey
        done. Blood sample collected sent to Baliram
        Kashyap Memorial Medical College, Jagdalpur
        were positive for JE (IgM ELISA). Health camp
        organized and all cases treated symptomatically.
        Health education given. Deceased was 5 year old
        female.

CT/SBT/2017/49/1651 Chhattisgarh Dantewada Japanese
        Encephalitis 02 cases 01 fatality 07-12-17 10-12-17 Under
        Surveillance
        Cases reported from VillageBenpal, PHC
        Bacheli, Block Dantewada. District RRT
        investigated the outbreak. House to house survey
        done. Blood samples collected sent to Baliram
        Kashyap Memorial Medical College Jagdalpur
        were positive for JE (IgM ELISA). Health camp
        organized and all cases treated symptomatically.
        Health education given. Deceased was 5 year old
        female.

CT/BJP/2017/49/1662 Chhattisgarh Bijapur
        Japanese
        Encephalitis 03 cases 00 22-11-17
        Under
        Surveillance
        Cases reported from Village Pedagellor, PHC Basaguda
        Sector-Tarrem, Block Usoor. District RRT investigated the
        outbreak. House to house survey done. 3 blood samples
        collected sent to Baliram Kashyap Memorial Medical College,
        Jagdalpur were positive for JE (IgM ELISA). Health camp
        organized and all cases treated symptomatically. Health
        education given

JH/ESI/2017/49/1664 Jharkhand East Singhbhum
        Japanese
        Encephalitis 02 cases 01 fatality 25-09-17
        Under
        Surveillance
        Cases reported from Urban Areas Jamshedpur City Like
        Bistupur & Jugsalai, CHC Jugsalai Cum Golmuri. District
        RRT investigated the outbreak. House to house survey done.
        Out of 54 serum samples collected sent to Medical College
        Jamshedpur, 02 serum samples were positive for JE (IgM
        ELISA). Health camp organized and all cases treated
        symptomatically. Health education given.

Week 50 IDSP Report: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/502017.pdf

CT/BJP/2017/49/1662/51/50

Chhattisgarh Dantewada, Bijapur,
        Bastar,
        Sukma&Dhamtari
        Japanese
        Encephalitis 17 04 22-11-17 Under
        surveillance
        A total of 17 cases and 4 deaths were reported from several
        districts Dantewada (6 cases and 3 deaths), Bijapur (4 cases),
        Bastar (4 cases), Sukma (2 cases), Dhamtari (1 case and 1
        death) since January - 14 December 2017.
        District RRT
        investigated the outbreak. House to house survey done. All 17
        cases were positive for JE (IgM ELISA). 3 deaths occurred in
        less than 5yrs and 1 death occurred in 13yr old male. All the
        cases were less than 13yrs of age. All cases treated
        symptomatically. Health education given

Comment

• Uttar Pradesh
          In 10 yrs, Japanese Encephalitis killed most in 2017
          Yusra Husain | TNN | Jan 5, 2018, 08:51 IST

LUCKNOW: The number of cases of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) and Japanese Encephalitis (JE) in UP was the highest for 2017 over the past decade.
          Data from the health department has revealed that from 2008 to 2017, the maximum number of AES and JE cases came in the past year. Both diseases manifest in the form of brain fever.
          The highest number of JE deaths in UP was also recorded in 2017. In August, around 30 children affected by JE admitted at Gorakhpur's BRD Medical College had died over shortage of oxygen supply.
          According to the heath department's own analysis, AES is a disease of significant magnitude in the state. Though 38 districts are endemic for AES, the predominant disease and mortality burden is carried by seven districts of eastern UP, in Gorakhpur and Basti divisions.
          In 2017, there were 4,759 AES cases with 595 deaths.JE cases in 2017 were 677 with 81deaths. This came after the health department claimed it had carried out a mass immunization campaign in 38 AES-JE endemic districts in May and June, covering over 91 lakh children in the age group of 1-15 years.

2013, 2014 and 2016 all had more fatal cases of encephalitis overall. - Ro

Comment

• MH/THN/2017/52/1711 Maharashtra Thane Japanese
            Encephalitis
            07 00 18-12-17 Under
            surveillance
            Cases reported from Village Ajiwaali, UHP Mahape Navi
            Mumbai Municipal Corporation. District RRT investigated the
            outbreak. House to house survey done. 01 sample collected and
            tested at NIV, Pune was positive for JE (IgM ELISA). Health
            camp organized in the school and all cases treated
            symptomatically. Health education given.
            Week 52 IDSP report: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/522017.pdf

Comment

• From the national Health Profile: http://www.cbhidghs.nic.in/index1.ph...id=88&lid=1138 (Chpt 3, pp 84, 85 & 133) Click image for larger version

Name:	AES.png
Views:	41
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	795648
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Encephalitis.png
Views:	48
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	795649

Name:	encephalitis 2.png
Views:	42
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	795653

Comment

• Updated figures for 2017 - note the large increase for Uttar Pradesh.

Name:	Encephalitis.png
Views:	48
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	796238

Comment: A media report has reported the number of fatalities in Odisha as 60. A report from Jharkhand in this thread tells of 64 deaths at one hospital alone. Tamil Nadu has seen at least 5 fatalities, Maharashtra has reported 2 fatalities, Punjab, Gujarat, Uttarakhand and Rajasthan have all reported 1 fatality each in reports in this thread. In total this amounts to 1,228 fatalities so far this year. As always, I am dubious about these official figures. Some states like Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Manipur & Karnataka have large numbers of cases, but seem to report few fatalities.

- Ro

Comment

• A year after uproar, Yogi's UP govt admits encephalitis deaths soared in 2017
                  By Aman Sharma, ET Bureau|Aug 29, 2018, 08.03 AM IST

More than 5,400 cases of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanese Encephalitis (JE) disease were reported in the state in 2017, leading to 748 deaths, compared to 4,353 cases and 715 deaths in 2016, UP health minister Sidharth Nath Singh informed the state assembly in a written answer to a question.

Read more at:

Comment: The UP health minister seems to be combining the figures for AES and JE to give the sum totals stated above. This is actually unusual as all indications I have had for the past 9 years are that the AES figures are the total cases with the JE numbers being the subset of cases that tested positive for JE. It is possible that different states are applying different standards to their data. - Ro
                  Last edited by Ronan Kelly; September 2, 2019, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X