India Scrub Typhus 2016-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maharashtra
    Scrub typhus: Deadly bacterial disease kills 15 in Nagpur, lands 70 in hospital
    Around 90 cases have been reported so far, out of which 15 people have died over the last one week and another 15 are battling for their lives.
    INDIA Updated: Sep 08, 2018 17:34 IST
    Pradip Kumar Maitra

Hindustan Times, Nagpur

After the dengue virus, bacterial scrub typhus disease, seen in Nagpur for the first time, is taking its toll on residents of the city and surrounding areas. Around 90 cases have been reported so far, out of which 15 people have died over the last one week and another 15 are battling for their lives.

From the around 90 persons diagnosed with the disease, the toll rose to 15 on Friday evening with one patient at the government medical college and hospital succumbing while 70 are under treatment there and some private hospitals. Most of the patients are in the age group of 30 to 45.

According to the medical college and hospital, over 60 affected people are admitted there out of which 15 are on ventilators and battling for their lives. The patient who died on Friday evening was identified as Madhukar Pudke of Nandanwan area of east Nagpur.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Maharashtra
      Nifa in Kerala on the day .. Scrub typhus in Maharashtra today
      Last May, Kerala fatally infected Nifa virus. People were shaken by the news that the virus spread to other states in the south too.

Samayam Telugu | Updated: Sep 9, 2018, 11:40 am IST

Last May, Kerala fatally infected Nifa virus. People were shaken by the news that the virus spread to other states in the south too. Another serious bacteria, a scrubber typhus, has been bumped into Maharashtra. Because of this, 16 people lost their lives within a week. Tollywood and Telugu people are already suffering from infectious diseases, and malnourished bacteria in the neighboring Maharashtra are causing more disturbance. About 16 people die from scrubs, and another 75 hospitals are being treated. The mirror is being mirrored.

A bacterium called auriansia shuchegsis enters the human body through a type of insect stool. This causes the scrub typhus fever. It can include fever, swelling and rash on the skin. This will lose lives if it is not treated at the right time. The bacteria has been hit by 93 people in the last week of a worm. Of these, 16 people were killed and another 15 were in critical condition. The doctors confirmed Amal Baburam Mandal, a teenager from Gadchiroli district, who died on Saturday.

All those infected with bacteria have been shifted to Government Medical College Hospital in Nagpur. Speaking at the Nagpur Hospital, Dr. Abhimanyu said, "We are taking steps to curb the scrub-typhus disease. He said that people from states like Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, who are not only Maharastra, are hospitalized with symptoms. Dengue expresses confidence that the disease will be effective. This bacterium is in the Nagpur District. Nine people died in this district.
      Telugu News App Download APP, Telengana Latest Updates, Rashtriya, National, International Level Viral News Download the Telugu Time App.
      https://telugu.samayam.com/latest-ne...w/65739717.cms

Himachal Pradesh
      43 cases of scrub typhus in Mandi

Tribune News Service

Mandi, September 7

After dengue, the rise in the cases of scrub typhus in Mandi district has now set alarm bells ringing for the health authorities. As of now, as many as 43 cases have been reported.

Sources said the Mandi zonal hospital lacked screening facility and test kits to detect the virus. Owing to this, patients are not receiving timely treatment.

They added that the hospital authorities were already struggling hard to check dengue outbreak in the district. As many as 236 dengue cases had been reported so far. Now the outbreak of scrub typhus had aggravated the situation for the health authorities
      https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/hi...di/649667.html

Scrub typhus outbreak in Himachal, so far six deaths, such as rescue
      News Desk, Amar Ujala, Shimla, Updated Sat, 08 Sep 2018 11:44 AM IST

The outbreak of scrub typhus in Himachal is increasing. So far, 5794 cases have been reported in the state's hospitals this season. Of these, 476 people have confirmed the disease, while six have died. The highest 111 cases have come in District Hamirpur. Symptoms of disease have been found in 67 people in District Shimla.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Maharashtra
        108 confirmed cases with 16 fatalities in Nagpur District.
        https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65812877.cms

Woman Dies Of Scrub Typhus In Maharashtra's Gondia
        Sep 14, 2018, 16:00 IST | PTI

A 34-year-old woman died Thursday of scrub typhus, a bacterial infection, in Maharashtra's Gondia district, a senior health official said. Scrub typhus is a disease caused by the bite of chiggers, a minute arachnid, found in paddy fields and overgrown grass patches, the official said.

Comment

Week 27 IDSP report: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/272018.pdf

MZ/LNG/2018/27/963 Mizoram Lunglei Scrub Typhus 112 cases 01 fatality 27-06-18 02-07-18 Under
          Control
          Cases of fever with body ache reported from
          Village Pangzawl PHC. District RRT
          investigated the outbreak. House to house fever
          survey done. 387 blood samples tested at
          Pangzawl PHC; 107 samples found positive for
          scrub typhus. 41 blood samples collected for re
          -
          test (Weil Felix test) at Civil Hospital Lunglei;
          result awaited. All cases treated with Tab
          Doxycycline. Health education given for use of
          personal protection measures

Week 30: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/302018.pdf

MZ/AIE/2018/30/1090 Mizoram Aizawl East Scrub Typhus 79 00 23
          -07-18 30-07-18 Under
          Control
          Cases reported from Village/SC Sawleng,
          PHC/Block Darlawn. District RRT investigated
          the outbreak. House to house survey done. 254
          serum samples tested for scrub typhus at
          Darlawn PHC; 79 samples were positive. All
          cases treated with Doxycyclin. Relevant health
          education given

Comment

MH/NAG/2018/47/1513 Maharashtra Nagpur &
            several Districts Scrub Typhus 63 06 10-09-18 Under
            Control
            A total of 63 cases and 6 deaths of scrub typhus reported
            from Nagpur urban and rural area during 6th August to 11th
            November 2018. Apart from Nagpur District cases were
            reported from Amravati District and many bordering
            Districts of Madhya Pradesh like Balaghat, Chindwara,
            Umaria, Seoni, Betul and Satna. A total of 78 cases and 14
            deaths were reported from 1st August to 7th September 2018.
            District RRT investigated the outbreak. House to house
            survey done. All the cases were treated at GMC, Nagapur.
            Entomological survey done and vector control measures like
            malathion dusting was undertaken in the affected areas.
            Health education given regarding personal protection
            measures.

Week 47 IDSP report: https://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/472018.pdf

Comment

From week 3 IDSP report: https://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/032019.pdf

MZ/AIE/2019/03/0086 Mizoram Aizwal East Scrub Typhus 25 00 05-11-18 Under
              Control
              Cases reported from Village Samtlang. District RRT
              investigated the outbreak. House to house survey done. Out of
              32 samples collected and tested at DPHL Aizwal and 25
              positive by ELISA test. All cases treated symptomatically.
              Health education given.

MZ/SER/2019/03/0087 Mizoram Serchhip Scrub Typhus 141 00 24-12-18
              Under
              Surveillance
              Cases reported from Village/CHC Thenzawl. District RRT
              investigated the outbreak. House to house survey done.
              Medical camps were organized at Thenzawl CHC. Out of 62
              samples tested at RMRC Dibrugarh and 17 samples was
              positive scrub typhus (IgM ELISA). All cases treated
              symptomatically. Health education given.

Comment

Kerala

Scrub Typhus Death KLM: Unnikrishna pilla 50/M DOD 6.3.19, Nedumpana,
                http://dhs.kerala.gov.in/pdf2018/drcd_07032019.pdf

Comment

Profile of Pediatric Scrub Typhus in Odisha, India
                  MADHUSMITA BAL1, MAHESH PRASAD MOHANTA2, SUNEETA SAHU3, BHAGIRATHI DWIBEDI4, SANGHAMITRA PATI1 AND
                  MANORANJAN RANJIT1
                  From 1ICMR-Regional Medical Research Centre, 2Naba Diganta Primary Care Hospital, Keonjhar, 3Apollo Hospitals, and 4All
                  India Institute of Medical Sciences; Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.

Objective: To investigate the distribution and clinical profile of scrub typhus infection among
                  children with acute febrile illness in Odisha. Methods: Children (<15 y) presenting with acute
                  fever (>5 days) in 4 agro-climatic zones from June to November 2017 were evaluated.
                  Patients were screened for malaria, leptospira, dengue, typhoid and scrub typhus. Scrub
                  typhus was confirmed by IgM ELISA and PCR. Results: Out of 413 cases examined, 48.7%
                  were positive for scrub typhus, and 5.5% of them developed systemic complications.
                  Eschar
                  was found in 17.9% of cases. Five days treatment of Doxycycline and/or Azithromycin was
                  clinically effective against scrub typhus. Conclusion: Our study highlights that scrub typhus
                  is one of the causes of high morbidity in children during rainy months in Odisha.

Keywords: Acute encephalitis syndrome, Acute febrile illness, Etiology, Rickettsia.

Comment

AR/ERN/2019/23/0587 Arunachal
                    Pradesh West Kameng Scrub Typhus 03 00 06-06-19 10-06-19 Under
                    Surveillance
                    Cases reported from Village Angkaling, under
                    CHC Kalaktang, Block Kalaktang. District RRT
                    investigated the outbreak. 3 blood samples
                    collected and confirmed positive for Scrub Typhus
                    by Immuno Chromatographic Assay Rapid Test at
                    CHC Kalaktang. Cases reported with fever, chills,
                    and headache. Typical eschar/lesion observed
                    under arms. All cases treated symptomatically.
                    Health education given

AS/ERN/2019/23/0612 Assam Nalbari Scrub Typhus 04 00 26-05-19 Under
                    Surveillance
                    Cases reported from Village Makhibaha, Village Milanpur,
                    Village/SC Borajol, Village Kakaya. All affected were adults.
                    All had fever, headache, body ache, gastrointestinal pain and
                    chest pain. No eschar or change in mental status was observed.
                    There was no travel history. No contact with cattle or pets. 4
                    blood samples collected and sent to DPHL, SMK Civil
                    Hospital, Nalbari and all found positive. All cases treated
                    symptomatically. Health education given

Comment

Scrub Typhus death toll rises to five in Himachal
                      The state has witnessed an outbreak in Scrub Typhus, also known as World War II fever that occurs mostly during the monsoon season through a mite's bite.
                      INDIA Updated: Aug 16, 2019 22:05 IST
                      HT Correspondent
                      Hindustan Times, Shimla

Scrub Typhus in Himachal Pradesh has claimed five lives till now as one more person suffering from the bacterial disease died at Indra Gandhi Medical College (IGMC), Shimla, on August 14.

The deceased was identified as Jwala Das, 73, a resident of Thunag of Mandi district. He was admitted at IGMC on July 31.

The state has witnessed an outbreak in Scrub Typhus, also known as World War II fever that occurs mostly during the monsoon season through a mite's bite. This year, Scrub Typhus has killed two people from Mandi district and three people from Shimla district while in 2018 at least 21 deaths occurred.

Earlier, two women, one from Mandi and other from Shimla district were reported dead on July 26 while another woman from Sunni died in IGMC on August 2. An eight-year-old boy from Shimla district also died of Scrub Typhus on August 5.

This year, as many as 3,651 people have been tested for Scrub Typhus in Himachal out of 291 people have been found positive.
                      The state has witnessed an outbreak in Scrub Typhus, also known as World War II fever that occurs mostly during the monsoon season through a mite's bite.

Comment

Himachal Pradesh
                        Scrub Typhus outbreak in Bilaspur district. 28 cases in 1st week of September, 193 cases overall.
                        https://himachal.punjabkesari.in/him...laspur-1051010

Comment

Scrub typhus tightens grip; 6 die, 801test +ve
                          People working in fields at risk of picking up infection

Kuldeep Chauhan

Shimla, September 19

With death toll mounting to six and the number of patients reaching 801 today, the outbreak of scrub typhus in Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Shimla, Kangra and Mandi districts continue to give sleepless nights to health officials and patients this year.

Of six deaths, three were reported from Shimla, two in Mandi and one in Bilaspur. In 2018, the toll was 18 while 1,106 patients suffered from the disease. More than 125 patients of the 5,500, who tested positive for scrub typhus, have died in five years. ?The cause of the death is delay in starting of treatment,? observed Dr Jatinder Kumer Mokta, professor of medicine, Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital, in a study here.
                          ?All patients, who complain of high fever, body ache and restlessness should take scrub typhus medicines regardless of diagnosis before, during and after the rains,? he added.

Comment

Himachal Pradesh
                            7th fatality reported.
                            Shimla, Sep 20 (UNI) During Monsoon season the number of death owing to epidemic Scrub Typhus increased to seven as 20 more patients struggling from the fever succumbed in Indra Gandhi MedicalCollege Hospital here senior medical officer said on Friday.

Comment

Scrub typhus continues to claim maximum lives in HP
                              According to the data available with the department of health and family welfare, this year till October 5, the death toll in the state has been 12, while 9,477 were tested of which 1,148 tested positive.
                              CHANDIGARH Updated: Oct 05, 2019 23:31 IST
                              Navneet Rathore
                              Hindustan Times, Shimla

Scrub typhus in Himachal Pradesh continues to be the disease that is claiming maximum lives in the state.

According to the data available with the department of health and family welfare, this year till October 5, the death toll in the state has been 12, while 9,477 were tested of which 1,148 tested positive. Of these 1,148, as many as 320 cases were reported from the Bilaspur district.

On Saturday, two women tested positive for the disease out of total 28 tested while as many as 13 tested positive on Friday out of total 40 tested at the Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla.
                              According to the data available with the department of health and family welfare, this year till October 5, the death toll in the state has been 12, while 9,477 were tested of which 1,148 tested positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X