• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India: Leptospirosis 2015

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47980391.cms

Lepto scare in Mumbai: 12 patients die in a week
    Malathy Iyer,TNN | Jul 8, 2015, 01.42 AM IST

MUMBAI: Twelve Mumbaikars succumbed to leptospirosis within the last seven days, civic officials said on Tuesday. Most of the victims, including a 12-year-old girl, lived between Goregaon and Dahisar and were under 30 years of age.

Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that spreads through flooded or stagnant water contaminated with urine of infected rats, dogs or horses. It was the largest monsoon killer in 2005?the year of the 26/7 deluge?as well as in 2007 when thousands were affected and 66 and 79 died, respectively.

What has shocked experts about this year's figure is the high death rate: 12 of the 21 who tested positive for the disease have died between July 1 and 7 in various municipal hospitals. BMC officials pegged this 57% death rate to the delay among the patients in seeking treatment...

Leptospirosis threat looms large in city, 12 deaths in one week
    The health officials have blamed the transmission of disease carrying bacteria through flood waters as the reason for this surge.

By: Express News Service | Mumbai | Published on:July 8, 2015 3:46 am
    The city is witnessing a drastic rise in deaths caused by Leptospirosis, with 12 persons succumbing to the disease in the past one week.
    If BMC officials are to be believed, these deaths are a result of intensive water-logging in the city after heavy rains of June 19. ?There is a correlation between flooding and deaths caused by Leptospirosis. The disease is known to spread through accumulated water infested by the urine of rat and domestic animals. When someone with a scar on his body wades in this water, she is at high risk of contracting the disease,? informs civic health executive Padmaja Keskar.
    - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/cit....OrvlRfXG.dpuf
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Mumbai, Maharashtra
      Leptospirosis kills 2 more; death toll 14
      ? By Staff Reporter | Jul 10, 2015 01:23 am
      Mumbai : Leptospirosis claimed two more lives in the last 72 hours, taking the death toll to 14 in the city in just nine days.

The first deceased, a 40-year-old man from Reay Road, who was admitted to KEM Hospital on Tuesday, was suffering from both Leptospirosis and Malaria. His health deteriorated and he succumbed to the diseases on Wednesday. Besides, six fresh Lepto cases have been registered in the last two days. With this, a total of 35 Lepto cases have been reported in the city since January 2015.

The second deceased, a 38-year-old man from Malad, was admitted at Kandivali?s Shatabdi Hospital on Mon-day where he breathed his last on Tuesday.

Karnataka

(9 Jul) Mangaluru: Even as the district is gripped by cases of Dengue, Malaria and H1N1, cases of death due to Leptospirosis or Rat fever is adding to the anxiety. This year, two deaths have reportedly taken place due to rat fever and several cases have been reported. However, the Health Department is stating that no such cases have been reported and there is no need to panic about the same. It is said that one of the deceased hails from Sullia and the other from Bantwal.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Mumbai: One more leptospirosis death, toll up to 15
        Priyanka Vora and Aadesh Bhangre, Hindustan Times, Mumbai| Updated: Jul 10, 2015 23:24 IST

A 43-year-old woman from Kurar village in Malad died of leptospirosis on Friday, taking the toll to 15 in just 10 days.

With doctors saying the infection is easily curable if treated on time, state health minister Deepak Sawant has asked citizens to not self-medicate, and instead consult doctors at public hospitals if they show symptoms such as fever or body ache.

Seven Mumbaites died of the infection within 24 hours of hospitalization. This shows delay in treatment could have worsened their condition, leading to higher mortality, public health experts said.

Comment

16th lepto death in 12 days, H1N1 claims a life too
          Sumitra Deb Roy,TNN | Jul 13, 2015, 12.57 AM IST

MUMBAI: Leptospirosis has claimed yet another life, this time from the central suburbs, making it the 16th casualty in July alone. Meanwhile, H1N1 too made its presence felt after a 34-year-old man died of the viral infection in Kalachowki on Saturday.

The 34-year-old man from Rangari Chawl was rushed to civic-run Kasturba Hospital late on Saturday. A hospital source said he was gasping for breath. He succumbed in the next couple of hours. In a rare move, the hospital has asked for an autopsy to better understand the circumstances of the death.
          Leptospirosis has claimed yet another life, this time from the central suburbs, making it the 16th casualty in July alone. Meanwhile, H1N1 too made it

Comment

Kerala
            Kochi Man Dies of Rat Fever

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 in Kochi
            Express News Service

A 45-year-old person who was undergoing treatment for leptospirosis (rat fever) in the city died.

KOCHI: A 45-year-old person who was undergoing treatment for leptospirosis (rat fever) in the city died on Monday. The deceased has been identified as Asokan, 45, of Kalamassery. ?Meanwhile, one more leptospirosis case was reported at Varappuzha on Monday. So far, 709 persons have sought treatment for fever in the district, of whom 73 have been admitted to various hospitals,? stated a press release here on Monday.

Comment

Working...
            X