X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 139 fatalities

Deadly year for encephalitis feared in India
    By BISWAJEET BANERJEE | Associated Press ? 2 hrs 12 mins ago

GORAKHPUR, India (AP) ? A mosquito-borne disease that preys on the young and malnourished is sweeping across poverty-riven northern India again this monsoon season, with officials worried it could be the deadliest outbreak in nearly a decade.
    According to hospital data, 5,136 children with encephalitis died in its wards between 2005 and 2012. This year, 118 children had died by the end of May. The figures don't include children treated at private clinics or those who never made it to medical care.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 222 fatalities

Experts study litchi link to encephalitis (Bihar)

KHWAJA JAMAL IN MUZAFFARPUR

An ailing baby at Kejriwal Maternity Clinic. Picture by Gopi Raman
      Experts are checking if litchi trees in the district?s Minapur, Jhapha and Neora areas are carriers of the acute encephalitis syndrome.
      The team collected leaves and stems from litchi trees for examination and interacted with Minapur farmers. They visited litchi orchards and studied the system of crop management and learnt how Hazratganj farmers in Minapur sprinkle chemicals on litchi trees during flowering to strengthen the stem and later to protect the fruits from insects.

The team also noted down the composition of the chemicals used to enhance the fruit?s productivity and longevity.

Children to get vaccine against encephalitis

MRINALINI SHARMA
      Siliguri, June 17: The health department will give vaccinations to more than one lakh children in the age group of 1-15 against Japanese encephalitis in the Siliguri Municipal Corporation area in July.

?The Union ministry of health and family welfare has identified Darjeeling district as a high-priority area affected by Japanese encephalitis as some cases of the disease were reported from the district last year. Nine other districts in the state are also in the same category. We are starting the vaccination drive for over one lakh children in the age group of 1-15 in the SMC area from the first week of July. The drive will be carried out with the help of the civic body,? said Subir Bhowmik, the chief medical officer of health of Darjeeling.
      Last year, 35 cases of Japanese Encephalitis were reported from north Bengal and three of them were from Siliguri.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

More than 100 children are killed in bug epidemic brought on by monsoons in worse outbreak of encephalitis to hit India in a decade

Encephalitis has already killed at least 118 children this year in India this year
        Mosquito-borne disease that preys on the young and malnourished
        It is is sweeping across poverty-riven northern India

By Daily Mail Reporter
        PUBLISHED: 14:29 GMT, 18 June 2013 | UPDATED: 14:33 GMT, 18 June 2013

A mosquito-borne disease that preys on the young and malnourished is sweeping across poverty-riven northern India.

Officials are worried it could be the deadliest outbreak of encephalitis in nearly a decade...

Comment

Post #41 above had put the number of fatalities in Muzaffarpur at 46 and a Bihar state total of 72.

Google translated;

Brain tissue will reveal secrets of disease
          Updated on: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 02:29 AM (IST)

Brain tissue will reveal secrets of disease

Muzaffarpur, Hpr: Acute Encephalitis Sindrom (AES) to go to the bottom of exercise is reaching brain tissue collection. NCDC team of experts from Patna on Tuesday and Armarai CS strategy meeting with Dr. Jञanbhusn. The team led by Dr. Megha Delhi and Patna are a team led by Dr. Ravi Shankar. The team Skemsiac Kejriwal admitted to hospital and children's blood sample collection. 1995 is the scourge of this disease. But, so far, the cause is not known.

So far, the result of research cipher

The team is constantly doing research. Send by children suffering blood sample collection. Villages affected by the mosquito, animal collecting swabs were sent to him. But, do not cognizable of the past two years. In general people get the impression that the team has only been explored.

Two children admitted suffering AES

Muzaffarpur, Hpr: AES havoc with weather humidity is lowered. Patepur in Vaishali district on Tuesday for a two year's spring daughter Jyoti Kumari (2) were recruited. Skemsiac been referred to him. Dheeraj Kumar, son of the Prince of Ahiapur (3) was admitted to Skemsiac.

Practitioners believe that the weather has decreased the number of victims of softening. However, pediatrician Dr. Brij Mohan Head of the roster and the staff on duty 24 hours doctor ordered. Gopalshankr pediatrician Dr Sahni said that the heat and humidity can lead to the outbreak of the disease has increased.

---- --- Patient hospital death

Skemsiac 69 24

Kejriwal 75 25

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 225 fatalities

AES and the death of two
            Updated on: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 02:36 AM (IST)

AES and the death of two

Muzaffarpur, Hpr: Acute Encephalitis Sindrom (AES) is taking the brunt seems to end. Two more children were killed on Wednesday. The two new patients have been admitted. It is a serious condition.

The daughter of Madhuban in East Champaran district Harendra bear Suman Kumari (4), died at Kejriwal hospital. Ms. Preeti Sahni, daughter of the flowers of Raghopur of Gaygat (1.5) in Skemsiac died. Mild fever need not worry.

The research team engaged in

AIIMS Patna and UNICEF is working with the research team. Posted physicians determine the treatment protocol has been suggested. Civil hospital ward in the AES is now being talked about is the regular opening.

Skemsiac treat them in the running

Munna Kumar's son Jldhar mediatory Bisunpur Skra Bkri (9) was admitted to the Skemsiac. Bisunpur Ahiapur Gangti of the village Golu Kumar (5), Mirzapur Sanam Kumari (2), the mo Mustfapur. Nkim (3), the light of Vaishali (2), the mo shivhar. Arif (3) and Nepal's Jaleshwar Afzal (2) are being treated here.

Kejriwal hospitalized

Kanti mo station. Anwar's daughter Hasina (6), son of Shah satisfaction of Sadatpur Face (3), saraya Vishndev Mahato's son Ajay (3), Ahiapur Pagmberpur Kolhua the mo. Munif Mohammad's son. Sultan (4) and son of Vinod Prasad captivated by Motihari (eight months).

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 227 fatalities

Tissue bar on virus war

KHWAJA JAMAL IN MUZAFFARPUR
              The health department is in a dilemma in its fight against acute encephalitis syndrome.

Persuading parents of child who lost their lives to the virus, to allow collection of brain tissue samples is turning out to be a Herculean task. Moreover, the collection cannot ensue until the state government declares encephalitis an epidemic in the region.

Experts from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), New Delhi, have expressed their helplessness to zero in on the virus behind outbreak of the disease in the absence of brain tissues to research on. Another team of experts from Atlanta (US), led by Dr Padmini, accompanied by NCDC state co-ordinator Ravi Shankar, visited Muzaffarpur following a spurt in the number of encephalitis cases and subsequent death of children.

District magistrate (DM) Anupam Kumar told The Telegraph: ?The research team headed by Dr Padmini has stressed the need for providing brain tissue samples of dead children for conducting in-depth probe of the virus. They have visited encephalitis- ravaged villages to collect vital clues.?

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 227 fatalities

AES death of a child
                Updated on: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 02:42 AM (IST)

Muzaffarpur, Hpr: Acute Encephalitis Sindrom (AES) continues havoc. Sahibganj in Skemsiac resident of the village on Saturday Blthy shin mo. The seven-year-old son Mohammad Sultan. Salman was admitted to the treating hospital reached a two-year-old daughter was coined MOOSHAHARY resident died two tarakeshwar RAM. The disease so far 153 children have been admitted to the hospital, of which 55 have died. Skemsiac Infant Head Dr. Brij Mohan said that all children are treated under the protocol.

NCDC took stock:

NCDC consisting of two families of hospitalized children, the geographical location of the team apprised. In their dwellings, way of life, mine - Pan, puddle - from pond vegetation in relation to the inquiry. Team members reported that continuous research is going on sick patients.

Most of the known CS:

Civil Surgeon Dr. Gyan Bhushan Ilajrt reaching the hospital, spoke to the children's families. Being treated with respect by physicians were identified and expressed her satisfaction.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 231 fatalities

Assam Golaghat xxix. Acute Encephalitis Syndrome
                  38 cases 4 fatalities 01/03/13
                  Under surveillance
                  From 1st March 2013 to 13th June 2013, a total of 38 cases and 4 deaths due to
                  Acute Encephalitis Syndrome were reported from all Block PHC’s of District
                  Golaghat. District RRT investigated the outbreak. Mass fever survey done in
                  the affected areas. Cases treated at KK Civil Hospital, Golaghat. Out of 30
                  serum samples tested at AMCH, Dibrugarh, 10 samples were equivocal for
                  JE (IgM ELISA). DDT spraying done. IEC done.

http://www.idsp.nic.in/idsp/IDSP/rcntobrk.pdf (week 24 2013)

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 231 fatalities

Encephalitis claims 53 lives in Assam since January

Fifty-three people died due to encephalitis and 362 others suffered from acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Assam since January this year.
                    Another 24 positive cases of Japanese encephalitis were detected during the period, NRHM state surveillance officer Dr B C Bhagabati said in Guwahati.

Dibrugarh district in upper Assam accounted for the maximum deaths (13), he said. Ten of the deaths were reported this week, he said.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 279 fatalities

Higher rate of encephalitis fatality recorded this season
                      Shailvee Sharda, TNN | Jun 27, 2013, 08.39 PM IST

LUCKNOW: The rate with which Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) has killed children this year has alarmed the health officials. Data shows that 60 out of 189 affected children have died in 2013. This means that the death rate (case fatality rate) is 32.5 which is higher than last year when the death date was 23 percent. Between January 1 and June 4 last year, 80 out of 334 patients died of AES.

Alarmed over the situation, a team from the health department would be visiting Gorakhpur and adjoining districts to take stock of the preparedness. Health and family welfare minister Ahmed Hasan would be reaching Baba Raghav Das Medical College on Thursday. Encephalitis has already made its presence felt even before the onset of the peak season which is during the monsoons. By April, it had claimed 38 lives while affecting 118 persons.
                      "A higher CFR means more number of children dying in the disease season. It also means that the preventive measures have not been taken up effectively," said a doctor posted in the state epidemic control cell. Senior faculty members at the BRD Medical College stated that the cause of encephalitis in about 45% is not known. But in an equal proportion of children, strains of entero-virus are causing disease. Entero virus is a large family divided into four, like: echo, coxsacie-B, polio and human entero-virus (HEV). It is normally associated with polio, but is largely found in human excreta.

Comment:

Pinning down encephalitis cases in India this year has been difficult as the National Vector Borne Disease Program has not provided any web updates since April 1st. The idea that the cause of infection is known in 55% of cases is I think somewhat outlandish. I have seen no evidence of real-time diagnosis in hospital treatment. There have been a number of studies which have implicated Enteroviruses 71,75,76,89 and a number of other pathogens, for example in a study in Uttar Pradesh from 2004 - 2006;

Eighty-seven patients were enrolled in the study. The most common etiology of VE was enterovirus 71 (42.1%), followed by measles (21.1%), varicella zoster virus (15.8%), herpes simplex virus (10.5%), and mumps (10.5%). Japanese encephalitis virus was not found in any case. Enterovirus 71 infection caused significant morbidity in children; mortality occurred in 50%. A preponderance of cases occurred in December. In our study generalized convulsions along with altered sensorium were the significant findings in patients with VE.

and
                      Enteroviruses in Patients with Acute Encephalitis, Uttar Pradesh, India

and from Karnataka;
                      Enterovirus 75 Encephalitis in Children, Southern India

The most up to date figures that I have synthesized are as follows;
                      Uttar Pradesh - 189 cases, 60 fatalities. Of the 100 cases & 31 fatalities to April 1st, none were confirmed JE.
                      West Bengal - ca. 140 cases, 25 fatalities; 7 cases confirmed JE, 3 fatal cases linked to Herpes.
                      Bihar - 242 cases, 81 fatalities - to June 14th no pathogen has been identified.
                      Kerala - 2 cases, 1 fatality - the fatality was reported as JE.
                      Assam - 386 cases, 53 fatalities; 24 of the cases were positive for JE.
                      Karnataka - 1 fatality from "brain fever" in Mysore.

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 221 fatalities

Recruiting a child suffering AES (Bihar, machine translated)
                        Updated on: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 08:10 PM (IST)

Muzaffarpur, our representative: Season acute encephalitis syndrome in spite of moisture (AES) continues havoc. The victim was admitted to a baby girl on Thursday Skemsiac. This village house MOOSHAHARY Athr resident of Thane, eight-year-old daughter Nisha Kumari Deeplal is absorbed. Skemsiac three children enrolled in the east. Ilajrt a child is in hospital suffering a two AES. Patna AIIMS to examine children and UNICEF team arrived on Thursday.

They are having treatment:

Afzal Skemsiac of Jaleshwar of Nepal, shivhar mo. Arif, Salman and MOOSHAHARY of Sahibganj hiring of Ms. Nisha. Kejriwal hospital while Rajesh Paswan's five-year-old daughter Priyanka Motipur recruitment.

Comment

Encephalitis claims one, infects many (Assam)

- Kamrup put on alert
                          A STAFF REPORTER

A Culex mosquito
                          Guwahati, June 28: A total of 27 people have been detected with acute encephalitis syndrome in Kamrup (metro) district this year.

In Kamrup district, however, 19 cases have been reported with one individual succumbing to Japanese encephalitis.

According to sources in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM), all the people detected with acute encephalitic syndrome are undergoing treatment.
                          ?While one person tested positive for Japanese encephalitis and succumbed to the disease, the other patients in Kamrup and Kamrup (metro) districts have been diagnosed with acute encephalitis syndrome. The condition of the other patients is being monitored round the clock. Some patients have already been discharged from the hospital after recovery,? said M. Sarma, behaviour self-communication consultant of NRHM, Assam.

Comment

Four die of encephalitis in Sivasagar

KONGKON K. BORA
                            Sivasagar, Jun 29: Japanese encephalitis claimed four lives in Sivasagar district last month, with another seven reported to have died from acute encephalitis syndrome.

According to the health department, the four victims who died of Japanese encephalitis are Rina Majhi, 38, Luther Molar, 40, Ashis Ali, 7, and three-and-a-half year old Sunil Munda. The four died at the Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh.

Health officials said they are working on a war footing to tackle the disease. ?A total of 60,627 blood samples have been collected for investigation.

Comment

Several reports from Gujarat;

Suspected Chandipura death A four-year-old girl Harshita Bamaniya died due to suspected Chandipura viral infection in the Nada village of Shahera taluka in Panchmahal. The girl was admitted at the Godhra civil hospital after she took ill late on Tuesday night. She died there on Wednesday morning.
                              By Sachin Sharma, Vadodara
                              17 days ago (June 12th)
                              suspected chandipura death News: Latest and Breaking News on suspected chandipura death. Explore suspected chandipura death profile at Times of India for photos, videos and latest news of suspected chandipura death. Also find news, photos and videos on suspected chandipura death

machine translated June 14th
                              Candipurama four-year old daughter died from a suspected virus
                              City Nada village Country girl
                              10 sendaphlai flies home from Pune sent pariksanarthe
                              Vadodara, April 14 (sic - should translate as June - Ro) - Nada village of Godhra taluka district City four year old daughter was killed in a suspected virus candipurama.

* Panchmahal district health system to investigate his death terminating a separate survey by the medical members of the team was. During the investigation of 10 sendaphlaya balakinam home gardener to be found alive was uthayum lookout system.
                              Sendaphlaya fly home to 10 matches and 10 sand fly model gardener dead baby blood testing at Pune is mokalaya.
                              It is notable that in the case of vairasanam cadipurama sendaphlaya spread by bees instantly recognize its symptoms, get treatment needs.

2 more kids die of suspected Chandipura virus
                              TNN Jun 23, 2013, 10.38PM IST

VADODARA: Two more children died of suspected Chandipura viral infection in Panchmahals within 24 hours. The children aged between five and six years were suspected to be suffering from the infection and were admitted to local hospital. However, the duo died during the treatment. Another six-year-old child belonging to Jakhariya village, who is suspected to be suffering from Chandipura, has been admitted to SSG Hospital.
                              On the night of January [sic - I suspect this should be June - Ro] 21, five-year-old Kalpesh Gohil of Amalya village in Kalol died during the treatment in local hospital. Another five-and-half-year-old victim, Jignesh Bariya of Khanpur village in Morwa Hadaf taluka died on Saturday morning.
                              On June 12, a five-year -old boy from Morva Hadaf taluka and a three-year-old girl from Godhra had died of suspected Chandipura infection. Samples of their serum were sent to National Institute of Virology at Pune. The officials have started screening persons in the villages where the two cases were reported. A sandfly was also found at Tarvadi village where the girl had died.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H-WRH4Qhr9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Re: India Encephalitis 2013; 225 fatalities

machine translated, Uttar Pradesh;

News reporter, Gorakhpur:

With the arrival of the rainy Encephalitis series of patients is intensified. The last twenty-four hours in five new patients were admitted to the Medical College. Gorakhpur is one of the four patients Bihar. Overall, in medical school since last January to treat 219 patients have died of which 73 have arrived.

Comment

Working...
                                X