• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery Of India's Plummeting COVID-19 Cases

Source: https://news.wbfo.org/post/mystery-i...covid-19-cases

The Mystery Of India's Plummeting COVID-19 Cases
    By Lauren Frayer • 6 hours ago
    Originally published on February 1, 2021 9:04 pm

Last September, India was confirming nearly 100,000 new coronavirus cases a day. It was on track to overtake the United States to become the country with the highest reported COVID-19 caseload in the world. Hospitals were full. The Indian economy nosedived into an unprecedented recession.

But four months later, India's coronavirus numbers have plummeted. Late last month, on Jan. 26, the country's Health Ministry confirmed a record low of about 9,100 new daily cases — in a country of nearly 1.4 billion people. It was India's lowest daily tally in eight months. On Monday, India confirmed about 11,000 cases.

"It's not that India is testing less or things are going underreported," says Jishnu Das, a health economist at Georgetown University. "It's been rising, rising — and now suddenly, it's vanished! I mean, hospital ICU utilization has gone down. Every indicator says the numbers are down."

Scientists say it's a mystery. They're probing why India's coronavirus numbers have declined so dramatically — and so suddenly, in September and October, months before any vaccinations began.

They're trying to figure out what Indians may be doing right and how to mimic that in other countries that are still suffering.

"It's the million-dollar question. Obviously, the classic public health measures are working: Testing has increased, people are going to hospitals earlier and deaths have dropped," says Genevie Fernandes, a public health researcher with the Global Health Governance Programme at the University of Edinburgh. "But it's really still a mystery. It's very easy to get complacent, especially because many parts of the world are going through second and third waves. We need to be on our guard."

Scholars are examining India's mask mandates and public compliance, as well as its climate, its demographics and patterns of diseases that typically circulate in the country....

I find this to be very interesting. My first impulse was to look at what foods might be harvested in India in August, September and October and are eaten by a very large portion of the people of India. A very quick search of the topic of fruits and vegetables harvested around that time brings up a small list.

And of that list Pomegranates stands out. Apparently they have quite a number of perceived health benefits, with antiviral properties being one. I say "perceived" health benefits for a reason, since this is just from a quick search and we all know you can find validation for just about anything you want to find validation for on the internet. So who knows.

That said, I still have to wonder if there is not a widely eaten fruit or vegetable harvested about this time of year which might aid in fighting off Covid. One that is very abundant, cheap and popular during harvest time.

Comment

Interesting..... Check this out.
      ---------------------------------------

Pomegranate extract could inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19

Researchers in Italy have conducted a study demonstrating the potential antiviral effects of pomegranate extract against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SAR-CoV-2) – the agent that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

<snip>

Researchers have conducted a study demonstrating the potential antiviral effects of pomegranate extract against SAR-CoV-2.

--------------------------------------

From my quick searches on the subject it appears that within Indian culture the pomegranate is thought of as a medicinal food good for colds and other things. Much or our modern medicine has it's roots in centuries old folk remedies.

Comment

"“One study also suggested that the binding of two polyphenols, punicalagin, and theaflavin, to the Spike protein, could be exploited as a strategy to inhibit the virus entry into human cells,” write Apone and colleagues."
        Researchers have conducted a study demonstrating the potential antiviral effects of pomegranate extract against SAR-CoV-2.

Vu , ceci :
        Learn more about Theaflavin health benefits, uses, side effects, effectiveness, safety, precautions, and warnings

ce peut ?tre bien de regarder cela :

Si l'on ne connait que les d?coctions ? haute temp?rature, il y a aussi la consommation de feuille :

'Une feuille de th? s'?tant d?tach?e de cet arbre, il l'aurait m?ch? et d?couvert ses vertus'

A similar Chinese legend states that the god of agriculture would chew the leaves, stems, and roots of various plants to discover medicinal herbs. If he consumed a poisonous plant, he would chew tea leaves to counteract the poison.

c'est un dossier ? plus d'un milion de dollar de mon point de vue ...

Maintenant, dans la cat?gorie myst?res indous, vu la mise ? disposition de ces virus ? une multitude d'animaux que l'on sait sensible , et le peu de communication officielle sur l'examen de cette situation, on marche dans le brouillard ...

Comment

bump this

Comment

Ivermectin is (apparently) being widely used in India, but there is no way to work out exactly how extensively. It could be an explanation. I think it (like so many other medications) can be bought over the counter in India.

Multiple trials are underway according to some reports: here is one small one that has recently reported
          https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....05.21249310v1

There are some hints that it is being widely used by the population as self treatment in this letter:
          https://www.researchgate.net/publica...hat_do_we_know

and there are many more news reports like this one that may well be driving self treatment for prevention
          https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79058220.cms

Comment

Merci,
            ce ne doit pas ?tre compliqu? pour des indous de produire les chiffres nationaux de consommation, car, pour une population globale, de cette taille, cela fait un peu de poids.

Mon propos est autre, il existe des lieux comme l'Inde , mais aussi la Chine, le Vietnam, etc , ou les r?sultats, ? un stade, ou la vaccination est ? dose hom?opathique, bien diff?rents d'autres.

Ce sont, par ailleurs, des lieux ou des m?decines dites traditionnelles , en partie, et ou, en totalit?, sur des bases de plantes existent.

Visiblement, l'O.M.S qui ne semble voir qu'avec de sacr?es oeill?res est ridicule, pour ?tre poli, alors que ce me semble sa fonction d'?clairer sur les causes des r?sultats et des ?checs en tel ou tel lieu.

j'ai aim? regarder la carte des plantations de th?:

Pour moi, l'on pourrait avancer, en reconnaissant qu'en absence de vaccin, les r?sultats sont le reflet des m?decines pr?ventives mises en oeuvre, jusqu'? preuve du contraire...

Si, pour certains, la m?decine pr?ventive c'est alcool et ou savon, masque et vaccin, visiblement ce peut-?tre bien d'autres choses, vu les r?sultats.

J'ai ?t? outr? des propos de m?decins qui consid?rent et ?crivent que le respect de l'hom?ostasie, ce n'est pas de la m?decine. Pour moi, ce ne sont pas des m?decins. l'O.M.S serait bien inspir?e de le dire haut et fort. Et les conseils de l'Ordre des m?decins devraient virer ceux qui osent cela.

Je crois me souvenir que la base d'une d?marche, c'est nommer les choses. Ceci ?tant fait, aller recueillir des propos des uns et des autres, cela va se faire ...

j'avais cit? ceci :

quand on limite ? 2021 , il y a bien du monde sur le pont ...

Comment

• Vibrant62
              Vibrant62 commented
              Editing a comment
              Merci Bertrand. The only argument I would have against theaflvins providing some answers here, is that the UK is a nation of heavy black tea drinkers. I drink at least 6 mugs a day, and that is not so unusual! And we are not faring so well here... Theaflavins may have benefit, but I would doubt enough to explain what we are seeing here. It is a mystery worth understanding for sure though...

• bertrand789
              bertrand789 commented
              Editing a comment
              @Vibran62, Merci, vous auriez pu ajouter que le pays des marchands d'?pices a su faire des choses, mais visiblement pas tout.
              En fait, ce qui m'importerait plus c'est d'entrevoir ce qu'un homme comme vous, buveur, notamment, de th?, fait face ? un rhume et ou ? la p?riode des rhumes.
              Avant de poursuivre, un musulman noir m'a re?u, il y a 6 mois, en respectant les r?gles de sa communaut?. Je devais avoir une certaine valeur pour lui, car il a pris grand soin de faire suivant les r?gles. J'ai eu droit ? du caf? gingembre, sans sucre, car je n'en consomme plus depuis des ann?es. Mon cerveau a v??u une exp?rience dont il se souvient. Les ingr?dients sont communs, ce ne sont pas des m?dicaments, mais avec la recette , l?...

Ceci pour dire qu'il s'est pass? des choses, en certains lieux. Les actions collectives, du type recommandations O.M.S, au stade actuel, n'expliquent pas les r?sultats. Cela fait penser ? un savoir collectif ( rituels) et ou partag? et pas des actions individuelles...
              Il y a eu des inventions, dans cette crise, exemple en Chine, je veut parler des mesures de restrictions, mais l? aussi , cela ne peut expliquer tous les r?sultats...
              Les vaccins vont se d?ployer avec les succ?s qu'ils peuvent avoir pour ce type d'agent. Donc nommer le sujet ? traiter, et qu'il soit partag?, me semble un tr?s grand pas en avant.

Comme, vous le savez, je n'ai jamais ?voqu? dans ce post et d'autres, un m?dicament.

• Vibrant62
              Vibrant62 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have asked some UK friends who are living in Goa and very much 'into' ayuverdic medicine, what the standard treatment protocols are at the moment in India as far as they know, and if there are any links they can send me that details what these are- whether ayuverdic or allopathic. It might help shed some light on your enquiries. .

Ivermectin, a deworming drug, can be used as a supporting medicine for Covid-19 patients under home isolation and their contacts, according to doctors.

Comment

bump this

Comment

Working...
            X