Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamil Nadu - Death of birds investigated, Avian Influenza ruled out, Ranikhet likely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamil Nadu - Death of birds investigated, Avian Influenza ruled out, Ranikhet likely

Death of 42 birds in two villages triggers panic
    Last Updated: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 15:49

Udhgamandalam: Forty two hens and fowls were found dead under mysterious circumstances at two villages bordering Kerala, triggering panic among people as thousands of birds infected with H5N1 virus were culled in the neigbouring state.

Two persons from Oorkadvu and Pakna villages noticed 32 fowls and 10 chickens lying dead in front of their homes. The birds were 'abnormally warm' on touch, triggering panic among the people, animal husbandry sources said.
    Forty two hens and fowls were found dead under mysterious circumstances at two villages bordering Kerala, triggering panic among people as thousands of birds infected with H5N1 virus were culled in the neigbouring state.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Tamil Nadu - Death of 42 birds in two villages triggers panic

Over 50 chickens found dead in Nilgiris hamlet
    Shantha Thiagarajan,TNN | Nov 30, 2014, 07.32 AM IST

UDHAGAMANDALAM: Even as Kerala grappled with bird flu that hit thousands of ducks, panic spread across a few villages in Pandalur taluk in the Nilgiris after more than 50 chickens were found dead on Saturday.

Animal husbandry officials, who arrived at Pakna, a tribal hamlet in Pandalur taluk in the hill district, to conduct an inspection, ruled out bird flu. The birds had been dying since Friday night at Pakna. The villagers feared it was bird flu as the area is near the Kerala border.

"We suspect the birds died of bacillary white diarrhoea. We have sent blood and tissue samples of the dead birds to the high security Animal Disease Laboratory in Bhopal for further investigation," said Dr A Thayasekar, deputy director, animal husbandry department, Gudalur division.
    Even as Kerala grappled with bird flu that hit thousands of ducks, panic spread across a few villages in Pandalur taluk in the Nilgiris after more tha
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Tamil Nadu - Death of 42 birds in two villages triggers panic

Mysterious Death of 38 Birds in Poultry Farm Triggers Avian Flu Scare in Kovai
      By Express News Service Published: 04th December 2014 06:02 AM Last Updated: 04th December 2014 03:55 PM

COIMBATORE: Fears of avian flu have spread in the district following the death of 38 birds in a poultry farm near Annur due to an unknown fever.

Veterinarians have taken blood samples of the birds to test for the presence of the avian influenza virus.

The birds belong to Anbuselvam (36) of Kalipalayam, Kovilpalayam, near Annur. There are around 10 poultry farms in the village.
      Explore the latest news, opinions, and features from New Indian Express. Stay informed with breaking news, in-depth coverage, and expert perspectives on various topics.

Comment

Re: Tamil Nadu - Death of birds investigated for Avian Influenza 2014

Bird flu ruled out in poultry deaths
        R. SAIRAM

Preliminary tests conducted on the birds found dead at a poultry at Kallipalayam near SS Kulam Union in the district on Wednesday have ruled out bird flu. Veterinarians, who conducted the initial examinations and post-mortem of the birds, said that the signs were consistent with Ranikhet disease.

V. Muthugopalakrishnan, Regional Joint Director of Animal Husbandry Department, told The Hindu here on Thursday that samples have also been sent to the Poultry Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Erode for further confirmation. While this was not necessary, he said that this step was being taken as a precaution following the bird flu outbreak in Kerala.

A joint team Animal Husbandry, Health and Food Safety Departments undertook an inspection of the poultry on Wednesday. While the health officials examined the poultry staff and the neighbours for infection, the Animal Husbandry Department personnel examined the surviving birds and carcasses. Two other poultry farms in the village were also inspected. However, they were empty. The farmers were briefed on bio-security measures and told to alert the Animal Husbandry Department before releasing birds.

Comment

Working...
        X