Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karnataka - Bird deaths at poultry farms in Mysore

BIRD FLU IN CITY NOT CONFIRMED: VET

Mysore, Feb. 2- The recent deaths of some poultry birds in farms on the outskirts of the city have caused anxiety among the chicken consumers. Dr. Devadas, Deputy Director of the Department of Animal Husbandry, said yesterday that a team of expert scientists from Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals, Bangalore, visited the farms and found that some layer-birds had died. Samples of their blood and excreta have been collected for lab tests.
    Star Of Mysore is an Evening Daily of the city of Mysuru. Read all the latest, breaking and exclusive news, updates about Mysore with photos and videos.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Karnataka - Bird deaths at poultry farms in Mysore

?Bird flu? in Mysore, fear spreads to Bangalore
    By Shyam Prasad S, Bangalore Mirror Bureau | Feb 2, 2014, 01.00 AM IST

Death of thousands of birds in Mysore due to an as yet unconfirmed disease is keeping people away from chicken stalls even in Bangalore city.

Local reports from Mysore and Chamarajnagar speak of dozens of dead birds being buried by poultry farmers. Retailers in Bangalore say prices may plummet in the next few days as more and more people are asking them about the outbreak.

Karnataka Hatcheries Association president, MCR Shetty, says that there is nothing to fear. He said, "All the birds arriving in Bangalore are totally free from infection or disease. The birds that have died in Mysore have not shown any symptoms of bird flu. It is most likely Ranikhet disease. But we are not sure and we have sent samples to the labs and the reports will come in a few days."

Rumours of bird flu spread fear among chicken eaters in the state several times in the last decade, as it could result in human fatalities. The most recent outbreak of the disease was in the government's farm in Hesarghatta in October 2012. The latest outbreak in Mysore is, however, said to be the 'Velogenic Viscerotropic Newcastle Disease,' popularly known as Ranikhet disease.
    Death of thousands of birds in Mysore due to an as yet unconfirmed disease is keeping people away from chicken stalls even in Bangalore city.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Panic in Mysore as bird flu rumours fly

dna correspondent @dnaofblr

The report is expected to be released by Tuesday. Meanwhile, the department experts clarified that the death of birds in some farms cannot be attributed to bird flu, as the symptoms do not warrant conclusion to that effect. Devadas said consumers can continue to use chicken and eggs as usual.

mybangalore@dnaindia.net
      Published Date: Feb 03, 2014

Comment

Ranikhet disease has killed hundreds of chickens since mid-Jan
        Lawrence Milton,TNN | Feb 4, 2014, 12.50 AM IST

MYSORE: The death of hundreds of chickens in farms on the outskirts of Mysore over two weeks has worried residents, farm owners and authorities. Officials and farm owners claim it's due to an outbreak of Ranikhet disease.
        The animal husbandry and veterinary services deputy director Devadas said, "Our investigation revealed that a few farms in west Mysore reported between 400 and 1000 chicken deaths but there could be more." He claimed these deaths have been reported only in a few farms.
        Mysore has 58 poultry farms and veterinary service officials say a few of them have been reporting chicken deaths since mid-January.

Deaths may be due to Ranikhet virus common in this season.

Comment

Working...
        X