Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jharkhand: Crow deaths put poultry under scanner - New strain of H5N1 confirmed; Unidentified disease kills hundreds of chickens in Udhava - possibly Newcastle disease (Ranikhet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jharkhand: Crow deaths put poultry under scanner - H5N1 confirmed; Unidentified disease kills hundreds of chickens in Udhava - possibly Newcastle disease (Ranikhet)

Source: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-N...crows-/900479/

?New bird flu strain killed Jharkhand crows?

Share | Print
    Anuradha Mascarenhas : Pune, Tue Jan 17 2012, 03:31 hrs

Scientists at the National Institute of Virology (NIV) have found a new strain of bird flu that killed over 500 crows three months ago at Jharkhand.

While confirming that it was avian influenza, Dr A C Mishra, the Director of NIV, said that the strain is different from the one that had infected poultry in Maharashtra some years ago. It is for the first time that it has been found in the country, Mishra said. ?We have compared it to the strains from Vietnam, Indonesia and other places in Asia and found similarities with the Vietnam strain,? added Mishra.

The NIV had received samples that included four crows from among those that had died in several areas of Jharkhand, including Jamshedpur, Bokaro and Hazaribagh. The process of characterisation of the virus is underway and it is a different strain of the avian influenza virus, NIV scientists said.

The strain belongs to Clade 2.3.2.1 while the H5N1 strain that was reported in the country in 2006 belonged to Clade 2.2. A...

Comment

Re: Jharkhand: Crow deaths put poultry under scanner - New strain of H5N1 confirmed; Unidentified disease kills hundreds of chickens in Udhava - possibly Newcastle disease (Ranikhet)

After the crow was dead starling
      Jan 17, 08:09 pm

Gmhria: Crows and other birds now in the grip of the disease are unknown. Small Gmhria suffer from the unknown dead of a starling. According to eyewitnesses suddenly began to suffer down manna and died in a few minutes.

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.
      Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Jharkhand: Crow deaths put poultry under scanner - New strain of H5N1 confirmed; Unidentified disease kills hundreds of chickens in Udhava - possibly Newcastle disease (Ranikhet)

Be aware that deadly Berdflu
        Jan 20, 01:52 am

Jamshedpur, own correspondent: Berdflu in neighboring Orissa state government after the symptoms have also been alerted. Adjacent to the East Singhbhum district of Orissa has been asked to take special caution and circumspection. On receiving a letter from the government swung into action all the blocks in the Animal Husbandry Department, meeting with doctors in addition to poultry farmers a way to avoid telling Berdflu. District Animal Husbandry Officer Dr S Kujur Berdflu signs of the district so far have not shown up, but all the care and precaution is taken.

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.
        The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Kolhan division bans entry of poultry products from Odisha
          FRIDAY, 20 JANUARY 2012 23:47 PARVINDER BHATIA |

The bird flu scare reaching neighbouring Mayurbhanj district of Odisha has pressed alarm buttons in the Kolhan region.

The deputy commissioners of three districts of Kolhan-West Singhbhum, East Singhbhum and Seraikela-Kharsawan issued directives to block development officers, police stations and railway authorities in those blocks bordering Odisha to ensure that no poultry products crosses in from that State.

The directive was issued from the State animal husbandry secretary Arun Kumar Singh on January 13 asking all the deputy commissioners to be on alert against the bird flu scare in the neighbouring districts of Odisha.

The directive asked the deputy commissioners to enforce check on crossing over of poultry products in those areas which share borders with Odisha till the avian influenza virus threat persists in the neighbouring State.

Comment

Hill Colony ten crows found dead
            Jan 22, 01:01 am

Dhanbad, Jasn: wait a few days after the day on Saturday the death of crows crows death was reported again Crows were found dead on Saturday 10-11 in Hill colony. Animal Husbandry Department Gdwaya dead crows in the ground. Model Village officials co-district control room officials said BP Yadav, two dead crows - in three days. Two days ago, Hill was reported dead crows from the colony. The departmental staff did not find dead crows. Crows were found dead on Saturday in collaboration with local people.
            So far, the death of 80 crows: crows have died since December 80 in Dhanbad. It first met on December 11 dead crows. The next few days in different parts of the district continued to the death of crows. December 19 to 61 crows had been killed. The frequency of death was a failure.

Five dozen chickens killed
            Jan 20, 09:17 pm

Block: block Buddhadih village during the last two days more than five dozen chickens have been killed. Veterinarians say that the cause of death is infectious disease. The department for the prevention of any type is not provided, the great indignation of the villagers.

Comment

Directed to stop the selling of cock
              Jan 23, 01:00 am

Banu: Word flu outbreak in Orissa bordering the District Animal Husbandry Officer Sajjan Kumar and Suresh Choudhary, chicken and other animals from the border state is directed to prohibit the purchase. Dr. Arun Kumar Singh, OP Odga vet told us to do surveillance in the area and villagers have been asked to see it.

Comment

Rural scared to death of crows
                Jan 27, 08:00 pm

Krun, Deoghar: block headquarters across Kauo these days have continued to die. During a week of half a dozen crows have died. The event traumatized the country. The people here have expressed fears of an outbreak. Sart Palojori and deaths of crows in the district. No such incident had taken place earlier in the block. The people are very scared of crows is sudden death. The villagers gave information to General Officer. Rookery dead at the scene to be examined by the doctor. He said that the crow is not a symptom of an illness. Crows death is natural.

After the dead crows on owls
                Jan 28, 11:58 pm

Chatra, Simaria: block after the crows owls have been nailed on. Station Road on Saturday, two owls were found dead. Marks on his body the scars of any kind are not. His death from an unknown illness is likely to be expressed. In this regard, veterinary charge Uday Kumar Sinha said that due to the death of birds will be examined. The village to bury dead birds carefully. Expressed concern over the death of bird lovers around the birds and protect them from the administration has appealed to a solid solution.

Comment

Do we know which subspecies of owl is talked about here? I am trying to determine the likelihood of owls hunting crows in this area.

Comment

I don't know which type of owl, but here are some of the species that live in Jharkhand;

Owl Barn or Screech Tyto alba
                    Owl Brown Fish Bubo zeylonensis
                    Owl Collared Scopes Otus bakkamoena
                    Owl Indian Great Horned
                    Owlet barred jungle Glaucidium radiatum

Comment

A report http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/j.../1/174987.html from IndiaToday.

This report Dated Feb 23 tells of around 2000 crow deaths in Jamshedpur over the last 3 months. It goes on to mention a "contagious disease" and "crow epidemic". It is as if the author has come across this story for the first time. He certainly failed to do any research. A very good example of shoddy reporting.

Comment

Working...
                      X