Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gujarat: 38 cranes dead; avian flu ruled out

Crof

Gujarat: 38 cranes dead; avian flu back?
    Smitha R, DNA | Dec 03, 2012, 05:16AM IST

Ahmedabad: The sudden death of 38 cranes in the wetlands (salt pans) close to Victor village in Rajula range of Amreli district has raised fears of a return of the deadly bird flu virus. The matter first came to light when a bird lover informed forest officials about the death of five birds on Saturday.

Sunday saw the death of 30 more birds while a few others were found to be extremely ill. Of the ill birds, three more died taking the toll to 38. Incidentally, two eagles, believed to have feasted on the dead cranes were also found dead.

Cranes migrate to the wetlands in this part of Gujarat from Siberia during the four months of winter. The salt pans belong to GHCL, a company involved in the production of salt.

Mangubhai Thapa, a bird lover and resident of a nearby village was the first to be told about death of five birds. He said that there had been sporadic incidents of bird deaths for the last one week.
    ?A fortnight ago we found 15 dead birds but thought it was the handiwork of dogs. It was only when villagers informed me of the death of five birds that an alarm was raised. We informed the forest officials who sent the birds? remains for a post-mortem,? said Thapa.

Dinesh Goswami of Kodinar Nature Club, who rushed to the two wetlands (salt pans filled with water), said that on Sunday he had counted 30 dead birds. ?It could be bird flu although we can?t be sure. Some of the cranes seemed extremely ill. Two eagles who might have feasted on the dead birds, also died while another is in a critical condition,? said Goswami.

DFO, social forestry, JK Makwana, when contacted said that the post-mortem of the birds will be done on Monday. Regarding the post-mortem report of the five birds who died earlier, he said that the reports showed that they had died due to respiratory troubles. As for the possibility of a return of avian flu, he said nothing could be said without proper investigation. ?The forest department may send samples to Junagadh or Bhopal to know more details about the bird deaths,? said Makwana.
    News in Hindi(हिन्दी में समाचार), Hindi News(हिंदी समाचार): देश के सबसे विश्वसनीय अख़बार पर पढ़ें ताज़ा ख़बरें। पढ़ें देश, विदेश, बॉलीवुड, लाइफस्टाइल और राजनीती की ब्रेकिंग ख़बरें. Read Latest Hindi News, Breaking News at Dainik Bhaskar
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Gujarat: 38 cranes dead; avian flu back?

40 demoiselle cranes found dead in Amreli
    By Himanshu Kaushik, TNN | Dec 3, 2012, 04.21 AM IST

AHMEDABAD: At least 40 demoiselle cranes were found dead near Victor Dam at Rajula in Amreli district.

While preliminary investigation suggested the migratory birds died due to breathing problem, experts are not ruling out the possibility of bird flu.

"We carried out the post-mortem locally and doctors opine the birds died of breathing disorder. We have sent the samples to the veterinary hospital in Jungadh to know whether the birds were infected with avian influenza," said district forest officer G C Makwana.
    Dinesh Goswami, a wildlife activist, said, "I was in the area and about 10 cranes died within 30 minutes. It looked like the birds were having some breathing trouble and were frothing as well."
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Gujarat: 38 cranes dead; avian flu back?

Bird flu ruled out as cause of death of kites, cranes in Amreli
      |
      Express news service : Ahmedabad, Fri Dec 07 2012, 04:04 hrs

Bird flu has been ruled out as the cause of death of three kites and 27 demoiselle cranes at Victor dam in Amreli’s Rajula taluka last weekend even as two more kites and a crane were found dead in the area on Wednesday.

“The preliminary report of the Animal Husbandry department has ruled out bird flu as the cause of death,” said J K Makwana, DCF at Rajula, adding that they suspect poisoning, deliberate or otherwise, as the cause of death.

Makwana said the cranes’ feeding habits — they routinely eat groundnuts and cashew-nuts from the region’s farms — will have to be taken into account during further inquiries.

A wildlife activist from the area said these crops are sometimes laced with fertilizers and pesticides since neelgai and wild boars often devour them while they are being dried, and slowly poison the animals.

Comment

Working...
      X