India, Andhra Pradesh - Avian Influenza H5N1 suspected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India, Andhra Pradesh - Avian Influenza H5N1 suspected

UNDIAGNOSED DISEASE, POULTRY - INDIA: (ANDHRA PRADESH) REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
    ************************************************** ****************************
    A ProMED-mail post
    ProMED is the largest publicly-available surveillance system conducting global reporting of infectious diseases outbreaks. Subscribe today.

ProMED-mail is a program of the
    International Society for Infectious Diseases
    The International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID) brings together a network of individuals from around the world.

Date: Mon 6 May 2013
    Source: a correspondent who has requested anonymity [edited]

Mysterious poultry disease, Andhra Pradesh, India
    -------------------------------------------------
    Hereby I am sending 2 URL's about a mysterious poultry disease in Andhra Pradesh. [see at bottom]

The following information was collected on some of the affected farms during the 1st week of April 2013. Egg production and feed consumption in the affected farms didn't go down. The affected birds are dying suddenly and varied symptoms/lesions were observed, including respiratory symptoms. The disease is suspected to be [avian influenza] H5N1. Many farms are closed down. Farmers are selling the affected flocks in distress. Apart from the commercial layers, emu farms are also affected. The disease seems to be subsided during the 2nd half of April 2013, but mortality has increased after the area was affected with summer rains.

As it is evident from the report, samples are not collected by the Government agencies for testing. The poultry industry in Andhra Pradesh is very powerful and it is also trying to suppress the disease reports. It is observed that 1 percent of the birds are dying daily in the affected farms (approximately 30 percent mortality in a month).

1. "Mysterious illness rocks poultry business", from The Times of India - Hyderabad, dated 15 Apr 2013; http://tinyurl.com/br8yvtk.
    2. "Poultry industry moots 'hatching holiday' to wriggle out of crisis", from The Hindu, Hyderabad, dated 29 Apr 2013; http://tinyurl.com/crk2kqk.

--

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Re: India, Andhra Pradesh - Avian Influenza H5N1 suspected

The Report on Notifiable Avian Influenza (H5 & H7) April 8th - 28th reports no samples from Andhra Pradesh. http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...515#post496515
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Heat wave takes its toll on poultry industry (Andhra Pradesh)

K.M. DAYASHANKAR

The blazing heat wave conditions followed by temperature crossing 40 plus degrees Celsius since last one month had cast its shadow on the poultry industry with high mortality rate of birds due to the prevailing sweltering heat wave conditions.

Similarly, the egg and chicken production had declined by over 50 per cent during the last one month following the blistering heat wave conditions in the district. The Karimnagar district, which topped in the region in egg production with 17 to 18 lakh eggs per day, had now come down to only 10 lakh eggs per day due to high mortality rate of layer birds.

The Karimnagar district is having around 100 layer poultry farms meant for production of eggs and around 350 broiler farms for chicken production. More than 50 per cent of the poultry farms have been closed due to non-availability of water for installing sprinklers, water coolers etc.

Government veterinary doctor Jayaram said that every day around 50,000 birds are dying in the district.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

The most recent H7 and H5 reports from the Ministry of Agriculture show that no samples from Andhra Pradesh were sent for testing in May. http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...830#post500830

Comment

Working...
        X