X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiflu helped avert outbreak of bird flu

Tamiflu helped avert outbreak of bird flu<o:p></o:p>
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...how/223059.cms
    THE TIMES OF INDIA<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:3.75pt; height:3.75pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cuser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--> Kounteya Sinha
    <o:p> </o:p>
    [ 29 Oct, 2006 2344hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]
    <st1:City w:st="on">NEW DELHI</st1:City>: The deadly H5N1 bird flu virus that hit <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> in February 2006 was sensitive to Tamiflu, the drug which many governments including <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> used to ward off a deadly bird flu pandemic.<o:p></o:p>
    Genetic and DNA sequencing of the virus collected from Jalgaon and Navapur by scientists from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bhopal</st1:place></st1:City>'s High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, has revealed that the virus contained several types of amino acids - glutamic acid, asparigine, histidine and arvinone - that made it sensitive to Tamiflu.<o:p></o:p>
    This, scientists say, helped <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> avert a possible transmission of the deadly H5N1 virus from birds to humans.<o:p></o:p>
    Scientists B Patnaik and C Tosh, who have completed sequencing the genes HA1 and HA2 of the virus and studying the 10 proteins, specially HA and NA present in the virus, told TOI that "timely administering of Tamiflu to those who were quarantined on suspicions of having been in contact with H5N1 virus infected birds, helped us avert the transmission of the virus to humans.<o:p></o:p>
    DNA analysis of the virus has shown it to be highly sensitive to Tamiflu". According to lab chief H K Pradhan, some countries including <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vietnam</st1:place></st1:country-region> have reported that the virus circulating there is resistant to Tamiflu making its containment even more difficult.
    "Our DNA tests, conducted of the HA, NA, NS1 and PV2 proteins, showed the virus that hit <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> was capable of infecting mammals, including humans. Therefore, a Tamiflu resistant virus would have resulted in people being infected by the bird flu virus easily, ultimately resulting in their mortality."

The scientists have made another interesting discovery. They say the virus that hit <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region>, specially the one that was isolated from the outbreak in Navapur, had mutated and undergone a re-assortment in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Turkey</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

This means that the virus, which had originated in <st1:State w:st="on">Qinghai</st1:State> (central <st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region>), was carried to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Turkey</st1:place></st1:country-region> by migratory birds. Here, the virus mutated and mixed with the Vietnamese strain. The mixed strain was then brought to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> by migratory birds. This phenomenon of being hit by a re-assorted virus has not been reported from any other country over the past four years.

"The influenza virus mutates quickly. So did the H5N1 virus that came to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Turkey</st1:place></st1:country-region> is one of the few countries where both the Chinese and Vietnamese strain have been found.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

Re: Tamiflu helped avert outbreak of bird flu

Hi T. Modesto,

The last piece of the article was not copied so I felt free to complete it.
    BTW very interesting to me but not a big surprise.

Tamiflu helped avert outbreak of bird flu
    Kounteya Sinha
    [ 29 Oct, 2006 2344hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

The virus that was found in Navapur was a mixed strain. That's why we believe the mixing happened in Turkey. While the NA was the Vietnamese type, the HA was Chinese," Pradhan added. [/b]
    </IMG>

Comment

thank you for doing that for me. I appreciate it. From the way the article printed out something was going wrong with it. Sorry for not having the complete article posted. Will double check when possible in the future.
      TM

Comment

.....This phenomenon of being hit by a re-assorted virus has not been reported from any other country over the past four years.
        Where do they get their information? I thought the different clades, and their changes (reassorts/recombination/etc.) were fairly well known.

Perhaps we have reporter clitch again.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I look forward to their full paper!

Perhaps in journal Science?

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise

Perhaps we have reporter clitch again.

Probably.

Today 07:39 PM
            FluBossie
            I look forward to their full paper!

Perhaps in journal Science?
            Not likely.

I see your and raise you one
            "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
            X