Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerala
    India flood toll jumps to 106, nearly 150,000 homeless: Officials

16 Aug 2018 10:01PM (Updated: 16 Aug 2018 11:49PM)

KOCHI, India: The death toll from major floods in India's tourist hotspot Kerala has jumped to 106, officials said Thursday (Aug 16), with nearly 150,000 people left homeless by rising waters across the southern state.

"The official toll now is 106 dead. A total of 1,331 camps have been opened across the state, in which 147,000 people have moved in by this evening," a Kerala state disaster management official told AFP.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-rain-10623330
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Kerala
      Kerala death toll rises to 154, massive rescue underway
      August 17, 2018

Thiruvananthapuram, August 17 (IANS) More than a dozen helicopters, hundreds of defence personnel, NDRF teams and ordinary fishermen with their motor boats on Friday launched a massive rescue operation in Kerala as rains subdued and the death toll touched 154 in 10 days.

There were six new deaths reported on Friday. Although the intensity of rains decreased in several districts since Friday morning, waters from the big dams in Idukki district continued to be let out keeping 13 districts in red alert, except for Kasargode.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Kerala Kerala flood death toll 174, red alert remains in 12 districts
        National | Written by : IANS| Updated: Fri, Aug 17, 2018, 06:57 PM

Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 17: The death toll in rain-battered Kerala touched 174 on Friday as a red alert continued in 12 districts, with the authorities continuing rescue operations after rains subsided and evacuated more survivors to relief camps.

Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had on Friday morning confirmed the death toll to be 164, but the figure was revised to 174 later.

India flood death toll shoots up to 324
        AFP , Friday 17 Aug 2018

More than 300 people have been killed in the Indian state of Kerala by the worst flooding to hit the region in a century, authorities said Friday, as troop reinforcements stepped up rescue efforts.
        The state -- a key international tourist draw with its tropical mountains and beaches -- has been battered by record monsoon rainfall in recent days and is "facing the worst flood in 100 years", chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan said.

In a Twitter statement released by his office, he said there had been "324 lives lost", a tripling of the death toll in the last 24 hours.

Comment: This current round of flooding began on August 8. Many outlets are reporting the death toll from that start point. I believe that the chief minister is reporting deaths for the full year so far and not just since August 8. 142 of these deaths happened before August 7. Thus it's not a tripling of the death toll in the most recent flooding, but the inclusion of deaths that happened earlier this season. - Ro

Death Toll At 868 Due To Rains, Floods In 7 States Says Home Ministry
        247 people have died in Kerala, where 2.11 lakh people in 14 districts have been badly hit by the rains and floods and over 32,500 hectares of crops damaged.
        As many as... 183 people [have died] in West Bengal,...and 11 in Nagaland.
        A total of 33 people have also been missing, 28 in Kerala and five in West Bengal, while 274 have been injured in rain-related incidents in the states.
        As many as 868 people have lost their lives, 247 of them in Kerala, due to rains, floods and landslides in seven states during the monsoon season so far, the Home Ministry said today.

Previously reported:
        Assam: 76 fatalities
        Uttar Pradesh: 221 fatalities
        Madhya Pradesh: 11 fatalities
        Himachal Pradesh: 19 fatalities
        Nagaland: 11 fatalities
        Karnataka: 130 fatalities, 3 missing, 4 injured.
        Jammu & Kashmir 10 fatalities
        Uttarakhand 7 fatalities
        Odisha 12 fatalities
        Gujarat: 52 deaths, 13 injured
        Kerala: 142 deaths to Aug 7, 182 fatalities since then for a total of at least 324.
        Maharashtra: 139 deaths, 117 injured.
        West Bengal: 183 fatalities

Total at least 1,195 fatalities so far this year.

Comment

4 Dead In Karnataka Due To Heavy Rain
          Aug 17, 2018, 07:32 IST | IANS
          The coastal districts of Udupi, Dakshina Kannada and Uttara Kannada, and the south interior districts of Kodagu, Chikkamagaluru, Hassan and Shivamogga have been witnessing heavy rainfall leading to flooding and landslides

Four people have died due to the heavy rain lashing the coastal and south interior districts of Karnataka over the past few days, an official said on Thursday. "Two persons in Kodagu district, which has been badly affected by flood and landslides due to heavy rains, and one person each in Shivamogga and Udupi districts have died owing to the rains," a statement from Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy's Office said.

7 Die in Rain-related Incidents in Odisha, No Respite in Store Soon
          Rayagada reported death of three persons, while two persons died in Koraput and Kalahandi each, Deputy Special Relief Commissioner Pravat Ranjan Mohapatra said.
          PTIUpdated:August 17, 2018, 9:53 PM IST

Bhubaneswar: At a time when the Odisha government has started assessing damage caused by a 3-day-long depression claiming seven lives, the weathermen on Friday forecast possible formation of another low pressure area that may bring more rain in the state, officials said.

At least seven people have died in rain related incidents in three districts during the recent rains due to a depression that since moved in a west-northwesterly direction.
          Rayagada reported death of three persons, while two persons died in Koraput and Kalahandi each, Deputy Special Relief Commissioner Pravat Ranjan Mohapatra said.

Comment

Kerala
            Kerala floods LIVE: Death toll climbs to 190, over 3 lakh moved to relief camps; red alert issued in 11 districts
            Kerala rains and floods LIVE UPDATES: The unprecedented rains have brought the state to a standstill. Essential services have taken a hit, with shortages in medical supplies and drinking water reported from several places.
            By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi |
            Updated: August 18, 2018 6:11:54 pm

Kerala continues to remain on edge as the death toll from the fresh onslaught of rain and floods since August 8 has climbed to 194, according to the control room of the State Disaster Management. Over 3.14 lakh people have been moved to relief camps across the state as the state is facing its worst flood in 100 years with dams opened and all rivers in spate.
            Kerala rains and floods highlights: Nearly 200 people have died since August 8. Essential services have taken a hit, with shortages in medical supplies and drinking water reported from several places.

Kerala flood latest news: Death toll rises to 364 as monsoon flooding worsens
            THE Kerala flooding continued to worsen today as heavy rains claimed almost 300 more lives bringing the death toll to 364 as the Indian district battled with what is expected to become the heaviest rainfall in 100 years.
            By AMALIE HENDEN
            PUBLISHED: 15:47, Fri, Aug 17, 2018 | UPDATED: 19:16, Fri, Aug 17, 2018

More than 2,400 villages have been badly damaged since the monsoon hit on August 8.

The death toll is expected to increase further this week.

The Supreme Court has issued a statement on the flood situation in Kerala, calling it ?grave.?

Almost 35 million people live in Kerala and the area is also home to 321,000 indigenous people, according to the Indian government.

THE Kerala flooding continued to worsen today as heavy rains claimed almost 300 more lives bringing the death toll to 364 as the Indian district battled with what is expected to become the heaviest rainfall in 100 years.

Comment

Kerala
              Kerala floods Live: Death toll climbs to 385; Over 3.1 lakh become homeless Agencies | 17 Aug 2018 9:59 PM| 0 Comments

The death toll in the flood-hit Kerala has jumped to 385. The death toll from 10 days of floods in the state has nearly trebled in the last 24 hours. Over 3 lakh people are living in relief camps across the state and a red alert was sounded in all 14 Kerala districts. All three wings of the armed forces have been pressed into action for a massive rescue operation. North and central Kerala has been worst hit by the floods. Pathanamthitta district in Central Kerala has been the worst affected in the last 24 hours as thousands of people -- students among others were trapped in their homes in Ranni, Aranmula and Kozhencherry. Read This - Farmer's Body Found In Well Kerala's government has described the crisis -- one of the worst in decades -- as "extremely grave" and rescue operations are underway to help thousands who remain trapped by floodwaters.
              Read more at: http://www.thehawk.in/states/kerala-...omeless-101468

Comment

Comment

A bridge in Kerala after the waters receded - disease from sewage & poor waste management practices as well as mosquito borne is now a real consideration.

Kerala floods live: 800,000 displaced, fears of disease in camps
                  Agencies/Web Report/Kochi
                  Filed on August 19, 2018 | Last updated on August 19, 2018 at 02.38 pm

More than 200,000 families have taken refuge at relief camps set up across the state.

A deluge in India's flood-stricken southwestern state of Kerala finally let up on Sunday, giving some respite for thousands of marooned families, while authorities feared an outbreak of disease among two million people crammed into relief camps.

Incessant rains since Aug. 8 have caused the state's worst floods in a century, and at least 186 people have perished, many of them killed by landslides. The beaches and backwaters of Kerala are top destinations for domestic and international tourists, but far fewer visit during the monsoon season.

The India Meteorological Department forecast heavy rainfall only at one or two places of Kerala on Sunday and withdrew a red alert in several districts. Flood waters too began to recede from several places.
                  A deluge in India's flood-stricken southwestern state of Kerala finally let up on Sunday, giving some respite for thousands of marooned families, while aut..

Comment

Sadly the trash on the bridge was dumped back in the river - video here: https://twitter.com/rotanel/status/1030848421471518720

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kerala 2.png
Views:	68
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	797919

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...y-2845711.html

Bodies found as floods recede in Kerala, death toll rises to 400
                      The Kerala floods have caused an estimated $3 billion in damage but the bill is likely to rise as the scale of devastation becomes clearer
                      Last Published: Mon, Aug 20 2018. 11 16 AM IST
                      AFP

Kochi: Receding flood waters left Indian troops and rescuers the grim task Monday of hunting for bodies left by the worst monsoon in a century in Kerala as the death toll rose above 400. With nearly three quarters of a million people packed into relief camps in the southern state, known for its tourist beaches and hill resorts, authorities also fear outbreaks of disease.

After a week of fierce downpours, rainfall eased Monday and flood levels have fallen in many districts. Army helicopters and boats kept up missions to find trapped survivors and drop food and water in isolated villages.

Officials said 22,000 people were rescued on Sunday. At least 30 bodies were also found taking the death toll above 200 since the torrential rain started falling on 8 August and more than 400 since the monsoon started in June.
                      The Kerala floods have caused an estimated $3 billion in damage but the bill is likely to rise as the scale of devastation becomes clearer

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kerala.png
Views:	65
Size:	989.6 KB
ID:	797921

Comment

NDMA India

Verified account

@ndmaindia

#KeralaFloods2018 Report as on 10 AM 21 Aug 2018
                          No. of Villages Affected:776 | Population Affected:5411712 | Lives lost: 373 | Missing: 32 | Evacuated:280679 (7500 in last 24Hrs) | Relief Camps:5645 | Inmates in Relief Camps: 12,47,496

3:53 AM - 21 Aug 2018

Comment

Flood toll in India's Kerala rises to 445

26 Aug 2018 04:25PM (Updated: 26 Aug 2018 04:30PM)

KOCHI, India: The death toll from devastating floods in the southern Indian state of Kerala rose to 445 Sunday (Aug 26) with the discovery of 28 more bodies as the waters recede and a massive cleanup gathers pace, government officials said.

Around a million people are still packed into temporary relief camps and 15 are reported missing even as the government mounts an operation to clean homes and public places that have been filled with dirt and sand left by the floods.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in a tweet said that more than 130,000 flood-hit houses had been cleaned, or nearly a third of those affected.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...o-445-10653998

Comment

Uttar Pradesh
                              UP rains: 16 dead, 12 injured across Uttar Pradesh
                              Shahjahanpur bore the maximum brunt of the weather’s onslaught, as six people were killed in incidents of lightning strike.

PTI | Lucknow | September 2, 2018 5:59 pm

As many as 16 people died and 12 were injured in rain-related incidents across Uttar Pradesh in the past 24 hours, officials said Sunday.

On Saturday, Shahjahanpur bore the maximum brunt of the weather’s onslaught, as six people were killed in incidents of lightning strike, while seven were injured.

A statement issued by the office of the UP Relief Commissioner said Sunday, “Six people lost their lives in Shahjahanpur, while three died in Sitapur district of the state.”

“Two people died each in Auraiyya and Amethi. One person each died in Lakhimpur Khiri, Rae Bareli and Unnao. All the deaths took place yesterday” it said.
                              https://www.thestatesman.com/cities/...502680605.html

Updates to August 30:
                              Kerala: 486 fatalities, 15 missing, 140 injured
                              Karnataka: 170 fatalities, 3 missing, 4 injured
                              Uttar Pradesh: 232 fatalities, 14 missing, 177 injured (+16 deaths, 12 injured today)
                              Uttarakhand: 37 fatalities, 7 missing, 25 injured
                              Odisha: 29 fatalities
                              West Bengal: 206 fatalities, 5 missing, 32 injured
                              http://www.ndmindia.nic.in/images/ga...0_31082018.pdf

Previously reported:
                              Assam: 76 fatalities
                              Madhya Pradesh: 11 fatalities
                              Himachal Pradesh: 19 fatalities
                              Nagaland: 11 fatalities
                              Jammu & Kashmir 10 fatalities
                              Gujarat: 52 deaths, 13 injured
                              Maharashtra: 139 deaths, 117 injured.

Total at least 1,494 fatalities so far this year.

Comment

Sep 5, 2018 News Hour Correspondent -
                                AT LEAST 18 PEOPLE KILLED IN RAIN-RELATED INCIDENTS IN UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
                                At least 18 people were killed and 36 others injured in rain-related incidents in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, officials said on Wednesday.

The casualties were reported from 10 districts across the state in the past 36 hours.

?Some 18 people have died and 36 injured due to heavy rains and flooding in the state since Monday night, taking the toll to over 40 since Saturday,? a disaster management official said.

?While three people each lost their lives in the state?s Gonda and Kushinagar districts, two each died in Mirzapur and Bijnor, and one each died in six other districts,? he added.

3 Children Die In Uttar Pradesh As Rising Ganga Levels Submerge Villages and Schools
                                Kriti Gupta Updated: September 05, 2018

This year's monsoon will be remembered for a number of deaths it caused in many states in India. It has already resulted in the death of 1,400 people apart from the loss of property and livelihood. Kerala floods devastated thousands of homes, displaced human beings, killed cattle and resulted in a rat fever and snake-bite outbreak.
                                According to Hindustan Times, three children died and hundreds of villages in five districts of Uttar Pradesh, Farrukhabad, Kannauj, Kanpur, Unnao and Fatehpur are flooded with rainwater.

Two kids have swept away in the strong tides of Ganga, third died as a shack collapsed onto his head in Fatehpur, officials told HT. The river was flowing 17 inches above the danger mark in Fatehpur and it crossed the danger mark in Kanpur. The Yamuna and its tributaries were also rising.

Comment

Working...
                                X