Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada: TB still a killer in Nunavut, as health workers and politicians struggle to stop the outbreaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada: TB still a killer in Nunavut, as health workers and politicians struggle to stop the outbreaks

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...eaks-1.4559587

TB still a killer in Nunavut, as health workers and politicians struggle to stop the outbreaks
    TB rate among Inuit 296 times higher than among Canadian-born non-Indigenous people
    By Kieran Oudshoorn, CBC News Posted: Mar 16, 2018 2:34 PM CT Last Updated: Mar 19, 2018 8:06 AM CT

Cindy Paniaq of Igloolik, Nunavut, was diagnosed with tuberculosis in December 2017.

"I was scared and I was shocked and I didn't know how I got it."

The mother of four and grandmother of two plays an important, central role in her family, supporting her children and regularly caring for her grandchildren. All of this was thrown into chaos when she was diagnosed with tuberculosis.

"I couldn't kiss my children and my grandchildren because I [didn't] want to infect them," she said...

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...inic-1.4945410

Most Whale Cove residents tested for tuberculosis in 2nd community-wide clinic
    Lessons from 1st clinic in Qikiqtarjuaq, Nunavut, helped reduce costs, wait times
    Sara Frizzell · CBC News · Posted: Dec 14, 2018 5:00 AM CT | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

The majority of residents in Whale Cove, Nunavut, have now been screened for tuberculosis and the health department is picking up best practices at each clinic it holds.

In the community of about 450 people, 80 per cent completed the full screening process and 90 per cent showed up for some form of testing, according to the government of Nunavut's acting chief medical officer of health.

"It's not ideal," said Michael Patterson.

"We would like to find ways to increase that number because it does leave a body of people who've not been tested and there's almost certainly some form of TB remaining in the community that remains undiagnosed and untreated."

The health department held its first mobile emergency clinic in February in Qikiqtarjuaq, where it was estimated about 10 per cent of people were infected. It said if the approach was successful, the clinic would be packed up and rolled out in the remaining 16 Nunavut communities...

Comment

Source: https://nunatsiaq.com/stories/articl...eening-clinic/

22 May, 2019 – 9:30 am EDT
      Nunavut wraps up third community TB screening clinic
      12-week clinic took place in Cape Dorset
      By Jane George

Nunavut’s Health Department has declared what it calls the “successful completion” of a 12-week effort to screen for tuberculosis in Cape Dorset.

“The clinic in Cape Dorset is part of our government’s ongoing efforts to increase community awareness about TB, its prevention and to increase diagnosis and treatment of both active and latent TB,” said Health Minister George Hickes in a news release.

Similar clinics have been held in two other communities: Qikiqtarjuaq and Whale Cove.

“The knowledge gained from the Qikiqtarjuaq, Whale Cove and Cape Dorset clinics will allow us to develop long-term community-based approaches that will help eliminate TB across the territory by 2030,” said Hickes.

The Health Department did not specify how many cases of tuberculosis were detected in Cape Dorset. But the clinic screened 80 per cent of the community of roughly 1,500 people, the release said.

While in Cape Dorset, health officials also hosted several events, including a community feast and an information session, to provide opportunities for residents to learn more about TB and its transmission, screening and treatment...

Comment

Working...
      X