Hunters asking about ducks & BF - Fall 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters asking about ducks & BF - Fall 2007

My avid duck-hunting brother-in-law asked me.... "Why isn't there any bird flu in North American ducks yet?"

My answer - the long migration tends to weed out the carriers when their immune systems are suppressed during migration (per Alaskan scientists). I also mentioned that there is an evolving North American H5N1, which doesn't have all the same properties as the more notorious H5N1.

However.......given the season, that's a valid question.

So, for all those duck hunters out there, what would be our collective answer?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Re: Hunters asking about ducks & BF - Fall 2007

Thell them:

1) - Be carefu! Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack. H5N1 was not detected in healthy birds in Europe, and yet is now, according to Niman, endemic in Europe.

2) - Recent research has indicated dogs can be infected with H5N1, and may not show symptoms.

3) - Take care that their dogs do not handle dead waterfowl, unless they killed the birds themselves.

4) - I recommend the use of latex gloves in any case. They wil fit nicely under their working gloves.

I am a trainer of dogs that retrieve migratory waterfowl, and own one of my own. I have been trying to raise awareness of the threat without much succes. Consider this query an open door and feel free to refer anyone who's interested to me. I love waterfowling and retrievers and will give them the truth without unduly alarming them.

Snick

Comment

Re: Hunters asking about ducks & BF - Fall 2007

Good point about the dogs.

There is plenty of hunter literature about handling birds to avoid any BF, but the dog aspect isn't emphasized.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Working...
      X