X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valuing and protecting Indigenous wild food resources

Valuing and protecting Indigenous wild food resources
    Reference: 10/83

The value of rivers and wild food resources to Aboriginal people is the focus of new research that will help transform water management on Cape York in northern Queensland.
    16 June 2010

"Aboriginal people have a large stake in water resource planning and management based on their distinct cultures, ways of life and substantial land holdings. Yet their interests and values in water are poorly understood by decision makers," CSIRO researcher Dr Sue Jackson says.

Mr Whitfield says the surveys will ask people questions such as how many fish they’ve caught or Magpie Goose eggs they've collected.

"After the data have been collected we’ll compare the total wild harvest with the cost of purchasing the same amount of food from the community store," he says.

Re: Valuing and protecting Indigenous wild food resources

"After the data have been collected we?ll compare the total wild harvest with the cost of purchasing the same amount of food from the community store,"
    Hopefully, cost is not the only factor - is the nutritional value and density the same?

This reminds me of some SW USA indians, who we no longer able to grow the traditional food, but were given access to low-nutrient subsidized food stuffs. Their health suffered greatly.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Re: Valuing and protecting Indigenous wild food resources

AD it was exactly the same sentance that caught my attention. I also wondered if the research was a prelude to a land grab.

Comment

Working...
      X