Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Vitamin D Supplements Help First Nations & Remote Communities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cytokine Storm & Vitamin D relationship?

Originally posted by cartski View Post
    I need to read this thread more carefully. However, here's a nice review of the literature, I believe:

J.
    Here is a quote from the above evidence based medicine review:

Mothers and infants among native Canadian Cree in Manitoba have been found to be severely deficient in vitamin D, even in midsummer. In Inuvik, 48% of Inuit mothers were found to be deficient in vitamin D despite supplementation.

With this contribution to our discussion by cartski we have proof that those currently living within the First Nations settlements, most particularly data from one of the hardest hit regions in Manitoba has a high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency that pre-existed the current novel H1N1 epidemic.

This is important because it is contemporaneous data and therefore can be extrapolated to what is likely present within these communities today unless of course those included in this study reverted back to a vitamin D richer traditional diet or began taking vitamin D supplements in sufficient quantities to reverse this condition.

While both possibilities might have resulted as a result of the impact of this article, my guess is that this fine example of applying evidence based medical standards to the peer reviewed data was recognized but not acted upon by TPTB. The truth is often sacrificed upon the alter of inertia.

Grattan Woodson, MD
    The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
      Excerpt from one study listed.....

Obesity
      Irreversible sequestration of VTD in the fat pool, especially if body mass index is >30 and person does little outdoor activity.

Could the above also be relevant to the large numbers of overweight people developing more severe symptoms? Or would it go against that argument? Not sure how they are using the term "irreversible sequestration".

Thoughts on Vitamin D & Obesity correlation?
      This is an interesting comment. I will need to review it carefully before commenting.

GW
      The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by the doctor View Post
        ......... In Inuvik, 48% of Inuit mothers were found to be deficient in vitamin D despite supplementation............
        Inuvik's location below shows the extreme low probability of sun-sourced Vitamin D availability.
        During the short summer, what exposure they have may be merely attempting to fill the winter-depleted D-tank.

[ATTACH]3453[/ATTACH]

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by wbgrant View Post
          You can get serum 25(OH)D tested for $40 by ZRT Labs through www.grassrootshealth.org

As for 10,000 IU/day, I suggest you look at the Heaney et al. paper to get an idea of the replenishment rate. It would probably take you less than 3 months to fill the tank.
          The product used by Dr. Heaney etal was colecalciferol (vitamin D3) not ergocalciferol (vitamin D2). The two are not the same.

There are several concerns I have about vitamin D3. First, if given in excess of physiologic needs, can it be stored?

Second, what is the metabolism and fate of orally administered vitamin D3? For instance, how much of the orally administered dose of D3 is absorbed by the gut?

Of that absorbed, what proportion is converted into 25 OH vit D3 and how much is metabolized to inactive products destined for excretion and as above, how much is stored?

I have the same questions for ergocalciferol, vitamin D2.

I have sent Dr. Heaney an invitation to join this discussion. I hope he will have the time to do so. He is an international authority on this topic and an excellent teacher.

Grattan Woodson, MD
          The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
            Inuvik's location below shows the extreme low probability of sun-sourced Vitamin D availability.
            During the short summer, what exposure they have may be merely attempting to fill the winter-depleted D-tank.

[ATTACH]3451[/ATTACH]

Living at latitude 170 degrees north would make it pretty hard to get a tan even on a good day.

It occurs to me that people who have lived at this latitude have only been able to sustain life there by virtue of their consumption of a traditional diet that has for thousands of years provided them with what they need to thrive.

When one reviews the diets of Canada's First Nations today as documented by several of the peer reveiwed articles referenced above in this thread, is it any wonder that these folks are described as being "in poor health" with an "excess of chronic disease especially obesity and diabetes".

GW
            The Doctor

Comment

I notice that my original thread has been renamed and recategorized to -
              FluTrackers > World's Indigenous Peoples - Health & Humanitarian Issues > First Nations, Remote Communities & Hunters > Can Vitamin D Supplements Help First Nations & Remote Communities?

While I think that this subject poses significant relevance to the First Nation's community - I also think it has much broader implications for ALL of humanity, not only in this coming Flu, but in Health in General. I've already had people message me asking why this was removed, and just found it buried in this new location.

I am totally supportive of all the hard work done by moderators and editors, but the original title and overall discussion was really generating some amazing discussion and feedback, and I am wondering if we couldn't return this to the more mainstream name Cytokine Storm & Vitamin D relationship?, in the Deliberation room? As I have mentioned, while DEFINITELY a good relevance to First nations and other Indigenous Communities - I believe this deserves high spotlight attention at this critical junction. As The Doctor notes at one point in this thread - this is a promising subject that we can ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT!

Comment

Re: Can Vitamin D Supplements Help First Nations & Remote Communities?

You could set up a thread with that original name and a link to this thread. Then maybe lock that thread so a discussion doesn't get split - if that's what you want. Anything you can't do let a mod know and we can take care of it.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

The original thread is here

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
                    I notice that my original thread has been renamed and recategorized to -
                    FluTrackers > World's Indigenous Peoples - Health & Humanitarian Issues > First Nations, Remote Communities & Hunters > Can Vitamin D Supplements Help First Nations & Remote Communities?

While I think that this subject poses significant relevance to the First Nation's community - I also think it has much broader implications for ALL of humanity, not only in this coming Flu, but in Health in General. I've already had people message me asking why this was removed, and just found it buried in this new location.

I am totally supportive of all the hard work done by moderators and editors, but the original title and overall discussion was really generating some amazing discussion and feedback, and I am wondering if we couldn't return this to the more mainstream name Cytokine Storm & Vitamin D relationship?, in the Deliberation room? As I have mentioned, while DEFINITELY a good relevance to First nations and other Indigenous Communities - I believe this deserves high spotlight attention at this critical junction. As The Doctor notes at one point in this thread - this is a promising subject that we can ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT!
                    Do not jump to conclusions. This relevant thread was COPIED to this location for emphasis.

Thank you to Sally for linking back to the original (and totally intact) thread.

Comment

It occured to me (again) that part of the old-fashioned TB treatment was to sit outside in the sun. It worked. Now I'm wondering how much was due to the anti-microbal properties of the sun, the fresh air removing microbes, and how much was due to the properties of Vitamin D. There is lots of literature on the subject of Vitamin D and TB, but also many other diseases, and even infant/adult stature. Interestingly, there is also a connection to VDR (Vitamin D receptor) variability, which has ethinic connections. This may contribute to different influenza outcomes.

Overview:

Role in immunomodulation

The hormonally active form of vitamin D mediates immunological effects by binding to nuclear vitamin D receptors (VDR) which are present in most immune cell types including both innate and adaptive immune cells. The VDR is expressed constitutively in monocytes and in activated macrophages, dendritic cells, NK cells, T and B cells. In line with this observation, activation of the VDR has potent anti-proliferative, pro-differentiative, and immunomodulatory functions including both immune-enhancing and immunosuppressive effects.[48]

VDR ligands have been shown to increase the activity of natural killer cells, and enhance the phagocytic activity of macrophages.[17] Active vitamin D hormone also increases the production of cathelicidin, an antimicrobial peptide that is produced in macrophages triggered by bacteria, viruses, and fungi.[49] Vitamin D deficiency tends to increase the risk of infections, such as influenza[50] and tuberculosis[51][52][53]. In a 1997 study, Ethiopian children with rickets were 13 times more likely to get pneumonia than children without rickets.[54]

Effects of VDR-ligands, such as vitamin D hormone, on T-cells include suppression of T cell activation and induction of regulatory T cells, as well as effects on cytokine secretion patterns.[55] VDR-ligands have also been shown to affect maturation, differentiation, and migration of dendritic cells, and inhibits DC-dependent T cell activation, resulting in an overall state of immunosuppression.[56]

These immunoregulatory properties indicate that ligands with the potential to activate the VDR, including supplementation with calcitriol (as well as a number of synthetic modulators), may have therapeutic clinical applications in the treatment of; inflammatory diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis), dermatological conditions (psoriasis, actinic keratosis), osteoporosis, cancers (prostate, colon, breast, myelodysplasia, leukemia, head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, and basal cell carcinoma), and autoimmune diseases (systemic lupus erythematosus, type I diabetes); central nervous systems diseases (multiple sclerosis); and in preventing organ transplant rejection.[48][/QUOTE]

Comment

Thank you for this recommendation Gratt - (my bolding)

"All Canadians need to consider beginning vitamin D3 supplementation of at least 5,000iu daily and should not wait until their government tells them to do so. The government already has this data and in fact has had it for over a year but has not acted on it.

Since they have this data for "all Canadians" it would be of interest to hear from them what the average 25 OH vit D3 levels are among the First Nations peoples? How does their vitamin D levels compare with other Canadians and if it is significantly lower, what plans do they have to remedy the problem and when do they plan to do so?

Time is of the essence when it comes to vitamin D.

Grattan Woodson, MD"

Comment

Working...
                        X