Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTA says China could lose tournaments if Peng Shuai's safety is not assured - Tornaments suspended

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • sharon sanders
    replied
    bump this

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/59338205

    Peng Shuai: How China censored a tennis star
    By Kai Wang and Wanyuan Song
    BBC Reality Check
    Published 3 hours ago

    Shortly after Peng Shuai, one of China's most popular tennis players, levelled allegations of sexual assault against a former senior politician on social-media site Weibo, her personal feed was censored.

    That was on 2 November, and since then concern over her well-being and whereabouts have persisted.

    We've looked at the timeline of events to understand the online censorship techniques used against Ms Peng.
    What has happened to Ms Peng's posts?

    She published a post on Weibo on 2 November alleging she had been forced into sexual relations with Zhang Gaoli, a former Chinese vice-premier.

    That post disappeared quickly - probably within the hour.

    Using the Wayback Machine internet tool - which allows you to scroll back in time online - we can see that by the end of that day there was no trace of the post.

    We then looked at Ms Peng's timeline and found that six more posts had gone, and she herself has not posted on Weibo since 2 November.

    This isn't the first time a high-profile athlete has been censored.

    Last year, outspoken former China international footballer Hao Haidong was also censored on the internet, along with his wife, Ye Zhaoying, a retired badminton player, after he openly called for the removal of China's ruling Communist Party

    What happened to her online followers?

    Weibo users, just like those on Twitter, can normally post comments in reply to posts....

    Leave a comment:


  • sharon sanders
    replied
    bump this

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/wta...hina-1.6269902

    Women's Tennis Association suspends tournaments in China over concerns about player Peng Shuai
    WTA president says cancellations could go beyond 2022 if talks continue to stall
    Howard Fendrich · The Associated Press · Posted: Dec 01, 2021 2:34 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

    The suspension of all WTA tournaments in China because of concerns about the safety of Peng Shuai, a Grand Slam doubles champion who accused a former government official there of sexual assault, could result in cancellations of those events beyond 2022, the head of the women's professional tennis tour told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

    "We're hopeful we get to the right place, but we are prepared, if it continues as it is — which hasn't been productive to date — that we will not be operating in the region," WTA president and CEO Steve Simon said in a video call from California. "This is an organizational effort that is really addressing something that's about what's right and wrong."

    He said the move to put a halt to the tour's play in China, including Hong Kong, came with the backing of the WTA board of directors, players, tournaments and sponsors. It is the strongest public stand against China taken by a sports body — and one that could cost the WTA millions of dollars...

    Leave a comment:


  • sharon sanders
    replied
    bump this

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-59372058

    Peng Shuai: WTA says concerns remain for Chinese tennis star after IOC call
    Published 8 hours ago

    The Women's Tennis Association has said that a call between Peng Shuai and the president of the International Olympic Committee does not address its concerns over the Chinese player's wellbeing...

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/olympic...safe-1.5675079

    Olympic officials: Chinese tennis star Peng says she is safe
    Joe Mcdonald
    The Associated Press
    Published Sunday, November 21, 2021 7:43AM EST Last Updated Sunday, November 21, 2021 2:51PM EST

    BEIJING -- Missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai told Olympic officials in a video call from Beijing that she was safe and well, the International Olympic Committee said Sunday after Peng reappeared in public at a youth tournament in Beijing, according to photos released by the organizer.

    The 30-minute call came amid growing global alarm over Peng after she accused a former leading Communist Party official of sexual assault. China's ruling Communist Party has tried to quell fears abroad while suppressing information in China about Peng.

    Sunday's call -- with IOC president Thomas Bach, athletes commission chair Emma Terho and IOC member Li Lingwei, a former vice president of the Chinese Tennis Association -- appears to be Peng's first direct contact with sports officials outside China since she disappeared from public view on Nov. 2.

    Peng "thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being," the Switzerland-based Olympic body said in a statement.

    "She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time. That is why she prefers to spend her time with friends and family right now," the statement said....

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/ten...huai-1.6255091

    China 'not aware' of issue surrounding missing tennis player Peng Shuai
    U.N. human rights office calls for investigation into sexual assault allegation
    The Associated Press · Posted: Nov 19, 2021 9:29 AM ET | Last Updated: November 19

    China's Foreign Ministry on Friday stuck to its line that it wasn't aware of the controversy surrounding tennis professional Peng Shuai, who disappeared after accusing a former top official of sexually assaulting her.

    Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told reporters that the matter was "not a diplomatic question and I'm not aware of the situation."

    The ministry has consistently disavowed knowledge of the issue since Peng made her accusation more than two weeks ago...

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Source: https://inews.co.uk/news/world/peng-...e-soon-1311382

    Peng Shuai: Missing Chinese tennis player to make public appearance ‘soon’, state media claims
    Peng disappeared earlier this month after writing a social media post accusing Chinese vice-premier Zhang Gaol of forcing her to have sex at his home
    November 20, 2021 12:37 pm

    Chinese state media has claimed missing tennis player Peng Shuai will make a public appearance “soon”, as global concerns continue to mount about the athlete’s whereabouts.

    Global Times editor-in-chief Hu Xijin, from the official newspaper of China’s ruling Communist Party, wrote on Twitter on Saturday: “In the past few days, she stayed in her own home freely and she didn’t want to be disturbed. She will show up in public and participate in some activities soon.”

    It comes after photos emerged on Friday appearing to show the Wimbledon doubles champion relaxing at home with her cat, alongside the caption: “Happy weekend”....

    Leave a comment:


  • WTA says China could lose tournaments if Peng Shuai's safety is not assured - Tornaments suspended

    Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...fety/100633274

    WTA says China could lose tournaments if Peng Shuai's safety is not assured
    Posted 15h ago
    15 hours ago , updated 14h ago

    Women's Tennis Association (WTA) chief executive Steve Simon has issued a warning to China amid concerns for the welfare of missing player Peng Shuai.

    The Chinese former doubles world number one alleged on social media this month that former vice-premier of China, Zhang Gaoli, coerced her into sex and that they later had an on-off consensual relationship. Her post was deleted half an hour later.

    Beijing has yet to comment on Ms Peng's initial allegation and discussion of the topic has been blocked on China's heavily censored internet.

    Mr Simon said he was worried for Ms Peng's safety and had doubts after the WTA received an email, also released by a Chinese state media outlet, in which Ms Peng was said to deny the sexual assault allegations.

    "The WTA and the rest of the world need independent and verifiable proof that she is safe," Mr Simon said....
Working...
X