Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock, condemnation as Zimbabwe?s Mugabe named WHO ?goodwill ambassador?-Appointment revoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock, condemnation as Zimbabwe?s Mugabe named WHO ?goodwill ambassador?-Appointment revoked

Source: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...mbassador.html

Shock, condemnation as Zimbabwe?s Mugabe named WHO ?goodwill ambassador?
    93-year-old Robert Mugabe, the world?s oldest head of state, is facing United States sanctions for a ?long track record of human rights violations.?
    By The Associated Press
    Sat., Oct. 21, 2017

GENEVA?Shock and condemnation continued Saturday after Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe was named a ?goodwill ambassador? for the World Health Organization by the agency?s first African leader.

The 93-year-old Mugabe, the world?s oldest head of state, has long been criticized at home for going overseas for medical treatment as Zimbabwe?s once-prosperous economy falls apart. Mugabe also faces United States sanctions over his government?s human rights abuses...

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41713919

WHO cancels Robert Mugabe goodwill ambassador role
    7 hours ago

The World Health Organization has revoked the appointment of Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe as a goodwill ambassador following a widespread outcry.

"I have listened carefully to all who have expressed their concerns," WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement.

He had previously praised Zimbabwe for its commitment to public health.

But critics pointed out that Zimbabwe's healthcare system had collapsed in recent years...

Comment

Director-General rescinds Goodwill Ambassador appointment

WHO statement
      22 October 2017

Over the last few days, I have reflected on my appointment of H.E. President Robert Mugabe as WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Noncommunicable Diseases in Africa. As a result I have decided to rescind the appointment.

I have listened carefully to all who have expressed their concerns, and heard the different issues that they have raised. I have also consulted with the
      Government of Zimbabwe and we have concluded that this decision is in the best interests of the World Health Organization.

It is my aim to build a worldwide movement for global health. This movement must work for everyone and include everyone.

For me, what is important is to build political leadership and create unity around bringing health to all, based on WHO’s core values.

I remain firmly committed to working with all countries and their leaders to ensure that every one has access to the health care they need.

We must build bridges that bring us together and help us move forward in our quest to achieve universal health coverage.

I thank everyone who has voiced their concerns and shared their thoughts. I depend on constructive debate to help and inform the work I have been elected to do.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/...-rescinded/en/
      "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
      X