Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egypt bans Human Rights Watch after report published that police slaughtered 1,000 people at Rabaa Square in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt bans Human Rights Watch after report published that police slaughtered 1,000 people at Rabaa Square in 2013

Egypt's Tiananmen

I went to Cairo to present Egypt's leaders with evidence that police slaughtered 1,000 people at Rabaa Square. They wouldn't even let me out of the airport.
    August 12, 2014
    Author(s):
    Kenneth Roth
    Published in:
    Foreign Policy
    There is every reason to believe that this was a planned operation implicating officials at the very top of the Egyptian government.
    Ken Roth, executive director

Some combination of denial and fear led the Egyptian government to refuse my colleague and me entrance to the country on Sunday night. The form wrapped around my colleague's passport describing why we were being denied entry was checked, "For security reasons."

more...

-------------------------------

Egypt: Rab?a Killings Likely Crimes against Humanity
    No Justice a Year Later for Series of Deadly Mass Attacks on Protesters
    August 12, 2014

(Cairo) ? The systematic and widespread killing of at least 1,150 demonstrators by Egyptian security forces in July and August 2013 probably amounts to crimes against humanity, Human Rights Watch said today in a report based on a year-long investigation. In the August 14 dispersal of the Rab?a al-Adawiya sit-in alone, security forces, following a plan that envisioned several thousand deaths, killed a minimum of 817 people and more likely at least 1,000.

more...

The systematic and widespread killing of at least 1,150 demonstrators by Egyptian security forces in July and August 2013 probably amounts to crimes against humanity, Human Rights Watch said today in a report based on a year-long investigation.
Working...
X