X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sequences at genbank !

Originally posted by JJackson View Post
    Thanks for the link. One thing I did not know is it does not grow well in eggs. I assume that relates to the wildtype rather than H, N and the rest from PR8. Has anyone seen anything further on this?
    No, and I doubt that you will until Helen Branswell, or some other very wise reporter, asks a direct question in CDC's daily media briefings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabird View Post
      No, and I doubt that you will until Helen Branswell, or some other very wise reporter, asks a direct question in CDC's daily media briefings.
      Maybe someone should email her.
      May your days be steeped in love, and warmed with joy.

Comment

I found some more discussion on the sequences here:

Virology All Virology Posts Why We Can’t Eradicate Polio By Gertrud U. Rey | 07-06-2023 | Basic virology,  Gertrud Rey by Gertrud U. Rey In 1988 ...
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabird View Post
          The HA of the Swine Flu virus is North American swine by ancestry, but with very human characteristics like the H1N1 seasonal flu virus. For example, there is an aspartic acid at postion 190 and 225 (receptor binding domain).

Therefore, this virus is very comfortable with its human host.
          You read my mind. Thanks.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
            I believe part of Mamabird's point is that it is replicating quite well in the GI system and still causing illness. But cooling the body to fight influenza has been discussed (& dismissed) here at FT.
            I wasn't suggesting cooling the whole body -- just the respiratory tract, since most (all?) fatalities seem to be respiratory-related. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the temperature difference would even need to be very large to have an impact.

If the thinking is that wouldn't work, I would be interested in knowing why. Similarly, I'm also curious why the virus' susceptibility to low temperatures wouldn't explain the lower morbidity rates in the US and Europe compared to Mexico. Is it because the variant with PB2-627Lys only exists in some geographic areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              I wasn't suggesting cooling the whole body -- just the respiratory tract, since most (all?) fatalities seem to be respiratory-related. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the temperature difference would even need to be very large to have an impact.

If the thinking is that wouldn't work, I would be interested in knowing why. Similarly, I'm also curious why the virus' susceptibility to low temperatures wouldn't explain the lower morbidity rates in the US and Europe compared to Mexico. Is it because the variant with PB2-627Lys only exists in some geographic areas?
              - we shouldn't forget that normal flu season is winter.

- cooling the whole body has been suggested before (I think by me)

The high body temperature of birds?40? to 42?C (104? to about 108?F)?provides an environment that supports rapid chemical reactions.
              source: http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...16_2/bird.html

- you could find the prior FT discussion by using the advanced search - it's very good.

- I doubt BP2/627 recognized political boundaries, but it does mutate. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for SF to acquire this change.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

table updated at ZGA

2 Californian strains, 1 Texas, 1 Auckland/Ohio/NY/Toronto,

6,7 characteristic markers for CA
                6 for Tex

indicating an origine (creation,reassortment) in early Feb.

shall they please send their samples to other labs for more complete genomes
                (CDC,Russia,China,Tokyo,Denmark,...)
                I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Are there still none from Mexico or am I looking in the wrong place?

Why are only partial sequences deposited?
                  Isn't it important to compare the whole sequence or is just one segment enough?
                  The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
                    Are there still none from Mexico or am I looking in the wrong place?

Why are only partial sequences deposited?
                    Isn't it important to compare the whole sequence or is just one segment enough?
                    Sequences from Mexico are at GISAID and they are the same.
                    Partials are deposited because that is all the have, and it shows that the viruses are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryN View Post
                      Sequences from Mexico are at GISAID and they are the same.
                      Partials are deposited because that is all the have, and it shows that the viruses are the same.
                      Nice to see you are still with us and have not melted. Had a nice relaxed week?

Genebank has had no PB2 sequences since the 28th are there new PB2's at GISAID and have you any idea of the policy that controls transfer to genebank?

Comment

Genebank has had no PB2 sequences since the 28th are there new PB2's at GISAID and have you any idea of the policy that controls transfer to genebank?
                        The PB2 you see at GenBank are all that is available at GISAID as of this morning.

Comment

As for the anal swab issue - I discussed it with my highly symptomatic student before her parents (and doctor) showed up and she agreed to try it for science. Negative at both ends. I should add she is a biology major so I think she understands I wasn't being weird by suggesting it.

I am hearing more and more chatter about the nasal swabs being ineffective but I cannot yet get anything firm and I am still trying to get hard evidence one way or the other. There is a case I know of that swabbed negative but was sent in to be tested anyway and that should be ready this afternoon. I'll let you know.

ETA: just so there is no misunderstanding, I was communicating via chat with my student and not near her or administering any tests.

Comment

Originally posted by metabolic View Post
                            as for the anal swab issue - i discussed it with my highly symptomatic student before her parents (and doctor) showed up and she agreed to try it for science. Negative at both ends. I should add she is a biology major so i think she understands i wasn't being weird by suggesting it.

(snip)
                            eta: Just so there is no misunderstanding, i was communicating via chat with my student and not near her or administering any tests.
                            goodness gracious!!!!!
                            Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

Originally posted by Metabolic View Post
                              ETA: just so there is no misunderstanding, I was communicating via chat with my student and not near her or administering any tests.
                              Yeh, that's what they all say.

Comment

Genbank trails GISAID by a day or two, but some sequences like Mexico, are not released, even though CDC did the sequencing and their US sequences are at Genbank..

Comment

Working...
                                X